Completed [VSH/FF2] Separate the VSH and FF2 map pools and changes (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heather

Gameserver Admin
Staff member
Gameserver Admin
Currently both game modes share the same map pools and sometimes share the same changes/additions to balance, I believe it might be time to change that

VSH has mostly been changed on the whims of FF2 votes, receiving map additions/changes/removals based on their server's requirements. Sadly though a lot of these map changes don't play nicely on VSH
I can't imagine this has been any easier for FF2, having sometimes necessary map polls be either skewed or interrupted by VSH players
(See the most recent 2fortdesk thread for an example)

My hope is that separating the servers won't bring too many issues due a renewed interest from some players
  • VSH didn't have a coder due to @UberMedicFully moving his efforts solely to FF2, but recently @Abject has been working overtime on VSH Code and has quite a strong understanding, alongside myself and @Kruphixx we've managed to put forward many fixes for long-term issues, hopefully leaving us with plenty of options when it comes to making balance changes
  • @Abject also has recently revived the VSH discord to the best of his abilities and managed to get the server regulars more active in terms of forum polls/changes and more involved with changes
  • Despite not having a dedicated mapper for VSH currently with @Kruphixx being mostly a FF2 Mapper with a few contributions to VSH, my hope is we'll be able to manage our map pool as a server and not have to rely too heavily on creating new maps outright. map edits aren't out of reach as I will gladly try my best to fulfil any, but if someone more qualified wishes to try I won't stop them
I must clarify I don't intend to make myself the person to spearhead this, despite my willingness to do so, but it seems like a change a fair few players from both servers would appreciate it

@Kevin since its his decision ultimately

Finally!
Someone level-headed enough to make the suggestion required to end this confusing hostility I've witnessed today on the 2fortdesk thread!
Being civil is as important, I don't have anything against VSH people and I hope that we can still peacefully discuss topics since our game modes do have similarities! (For anything beyond Map pools in this case)
Thank you very much for the level headedness!

There's not much I can say to the suggestion itself...
It seems fair & well-made enough, and I agree to 100% with it.

Screenshot 2023-11-01 001029.png

I would really like to hear Kevin's explanation as to why he doesn't want this. In the end this would benefit both servers and there's technically no reason to not do this.

If it's because it can get confusing with both servers having different maps, or potentially adding a map to the wrong server by accident, then the solution could be allowing someone to keep track of which maps exactly are supposed to be added/removed on each server, or simply asking an admin before doing any map updates. Also tagging suggestions properly (e.g [VSH ONLY], [FF2 ONLY] [VSH and FF2] would work well.

• Agree
Reactions: meks and Abject
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread