Declined [VSH/FF2] Map cooldowns (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
a simple solution to that "problem" might be just to nominate your maps a little bit before when the voting about the next map is coming, and because people rarely think and are clicking "4" to choose the first map (hell there's even a reminder in the map selection window, which says: "don't vote thoughtlessly and select a map which you want" or something similar to that), they will most likely choose your map, if you really have problem with the likings of the other people.
Increasing the cooldown is not necessary, as we deprive that way the players from choosing their favorite maps, which aren't probably a lot, and the current cooldown is actually long enough, the point is for everyone to have their fun and not deprive anyone of anything.
And a tip from me, when suggesting something (as you're right now suggesting for longer cooldown, could be for other weapon suggestion's stats, etc), at least have in mind a precisely defined amount for that subject to add/remove, followed with of course a good reason behind it, as we might lead this to completely chaotic situation with a lot of different opinions, and you get the idea of what happens after that.

What is the meaning of this, if I understood correctly, you just said that you want the whole nomination process to be removed and make it all RNG based?? I said above and will say it again, we're talking about the players and the freedom of nominating their favorite maps, instead of waiting for hours for hopefully some map, which they *might* like. That suggestion is something that I will instantly disagree with.
Sorry but can't agree with you on that. Yes freedom of choice is good, but what is the point of having like 70 maps if only max 10 get picked..... Might aswell remove all maps except like skyhigh, military, nebula.

Sorry but can't agree with you on that. Yes freedom of choice is good, but what is the point of having like 70 maps if only max 10 get picked..... Might aswell remove all maps except like skyhigh, military, nebula.
thought you might say that, the reality is that not only 10 maps are played, seems like you're overreacting it and if they are played a lot on, it's because they are nominated a lot and people seem to have an interest in them, so refer to the first thing which I said earlier, about nominating your map sometime before the time for map selecting.

Reactions: Aerial
thought you might say that, the reality is that not only 10 maps are played, seems like you're overreacting it and if they are played a lot on, it's because they are nominated a lot and people seem to have an interest in them, so refer to the first thing which I said earlier, about nominating your map sometime before the time for map selecting.
It's not about my favorite map or something, I hate the fact that some underrated maps are being neglected. I'm not gonna be nominating every map that isn't being played.

honestly adding cooldowns to each map would be the best way to get more maps used, nominating yours before vote isn't going to change much if the same people nominate as soon as map changes (as an example) or people will keep seeing the same 10 being nominated and will ignore that one random map in the vote.

Reactions: Aerial and Loki.
Blood3y, you're absolutely right, Listen man I'm not against Everyone's interest and freedom, But just nominating a random map with a single vote won't help, unless we increase the cooldown So those daily playable maps are not in our way everytime.

also The quick 4 button doesn't always help, for example if A map named "Tuel" was number 4 and 2fortdesk was 5, everyone Will vote for 5

yes maybe four to six people vote blindly but the majority will go for NOT what they like.

they vote for what they know.

• Agree
Reactions: Spam Goose
I agree with blood3ey. I came back to VSH after a few years and didn't remember a lot of the maps. I just had to nominate them and it was relatively easy to go through them all.

The only thing that bothers me is this:

In my opinion, there should be only 1 same map on the server. The only exception is if you want to test the new version and compare it to the old one. And after the trial period, delete the less successful map. I understand that it's difficult for weaponsdepot because there have been 2 maps for a long time, but I wouldn't add another one. For example I don't like the military area, any version of it. I remember that there used to be both versions on the server. And when you can play the same map four times during the afternoon and evening, it's really annoying.

I agree with blood3ey. I came back to VSH after a few years and didn't remember a lot of the maps. I just had to nominate them and it was relatively easy to go through them all.

The only thing that bothers me is this:

In my opinion, there should be only 1 same map on the server. The only exception is if you want to test the new version and compare it to the old one. And after the trial period, delete the less successful map. I understand that it's difficult for the weaponsdepot map, for example, because there have been 2 maps for a long time, but I wouldn't add another one. For example I don't like the military area, any version of it. I remember that there used to be both versions on the server. And when you can play the same map four times during the afternoon and evening, it's really annoying.
As I mentioned a few times already, it's not getting them nominated that is the problem, but them not being played regularly.

for this many of maps that get repeated? i think its pretty balanced.
well exactly because it's that many maps that get repeated, one map longer delay before you can vote a map basically won't do anything.

well exactly because it's that many maps that get repeated, one map longer delay before you can vote a map basically won't do anything.
example!

Lets say for every map 40 min(ofc in case didn't get rtv), So we played and finished off military.

now we're in skyhigh and military won't get nominated till 6 swaps, in other words like 240min (4h) won't see military.

ofc if any of these 6 swaps got rtved will make it much quicker.

So as a final solution i would change it to either 6 or 7 swaps.

still prefer 6 because i want to make it better with no big changes to hurt or abuse anyone's fav map.

I've wanted to comment on this to give a different perspective about what is happening.

Over my time of being here, I usually get comments like this from regulars who want to change up their regular server with different maps. But they find it tough to do so as popular maps are played the most often.
This is just the way it is. Popular maps bring in the players. Those who are casually playing will want to play on maps they're familiar with as they'll want to play their favourite class knowing all the routes and tricks in order to win.
Basically, people feel comfortable with popular maps that suit them and the happiness of all of our playerbase is the main concern.

So the idea proposed here took an extreme term towards it. 10 hours was too much. If you consider what keeps people on our servers we don't want players leaving to play their favourite popular maps on another server because it was played less than 1 hour before they join thus they'd have to wait 9 hours before playing it.

Does anybody know the current cooldown? Is it one hour currently? two? I think I saw a comment in here about what it is currently. Unless it's not based on hours but how many map swaps. Would really help to know this for certain before we put up a poll as I'll be able to put up a suitable measurement given the current set.

Reactions: blood3y and Aerial
I fully agree with Madact's first post. If those are the maps people want to play, then that is just the way it is. Doesn't matter whether you agree with their choice or not; if a majority wants to play the same few maps, trying to force them off of that seems senseless to me.

I haven't played in a hot while but the times when I did play with the 5-map cooldown active I already hated that. 5 times 45 (assuming no very early RTVs or something like a server crash/reset) makes 225 minutes; close to 4 hours of not being able to play the same map. If I join the server and want to play a certain map, why should I be punished because other people already played that map 3 hours ago? It's just annoying for someone in that position. I never really argued against having a cooldown to a degree, because I begrudgingly agreed with the concept of not wanting TOO much repetition. But making it even higher would make the problem I've faced even worse.

I fully agree with Madact's first post. If those are the maps people want to play, then that is just the way it is. Doesn't matter whether you agree with their choice or not; if a majority wants to play the same few maps, trying to force them off of that seems senseless to me.

I haven't played in a hot while but the times when I did play with the 5-map cooldown active I already hated that. 5 times 45 (assuming no very early RTVs or something like a server crash/reset) makes 225 minutes; close to 4 hours of not being able to play the same map. If I join the server and want to play a certain map, why should I be punished because other people already played that map 3 hours ago? It's just annoying for someone in that position. I never really argued against having a cooldown to a degree, because I begrudgingly agreed with the concept of not wanting TOO much repetition. But making it even higher would make the problem I've faced even worse.
Judging by the Votes, it's probably gonna be increased which is not nice at all lol

Judging by the Votes, it's probably gonna be increased which is not nice at all lol
Eh, not entirely sure. When I was reading back another thread with a DR suggestion, I couldn't see the vote total that it ended up with, but Madact rejected it because it didn't get a "clear majority" (she mentioned something about ideally 75% or more would agree). On this forum we have a higher degree of people that play actively and for longer periods of time at once, so they are generally much more affected by a smaller map selection than a LOT of more casual players are. Those people, like me the last few times I played, just want to hop on and play the map they like without playing through 2+ hours of other maps first. However also a lot of them, unlike me, wouldn't be on this forum, Meaning there is a potential for a relatively skewed result, and going for a relatively clear majority makes sense (idk about 75%, I don't believe there is a set standard in the community?).

Of course I fully acknowledge that I may have a bias in this, and I don't set the standard of what percentage would need to vote yes, but I'm just saying a small majority vote for moving it up might not be sufficient, for the reasons I stated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread