"Age" limit to voice chat? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matth

An user asked me about this. I reflected a bit, and that's why now I ask to you, and there's a Public poll.
I think You must decide, you are the players.

The idea should be Making an Age limit to Voice chat.
Nothing, nothing against younger players, but sometimes their voice can be very annoying for older players' ears.
If we'd want to say it at all, the game itself should have an age limit, but anyway.. The idea is
Letting only guys with a mature voice to use mic.
If you're in our servers, and there's a guy speaking in mic, and he objectively has a kiddy voice while speaking in voice chat, well, you can !call and an admin should come to mute (No Ban!) that user for 6 months, or 1 year (hoping that voice will get mature).

After this user suggested me this, I thought it could have been discrimination; but I'm very honest and for me the idea of this user is not so bad, and according to what I said, it's also licit.

Don't get angry or upset for what this guy suggested, please. Just, Vote in the poll.
That's why we are in Democracy, and voting is the best solution to everything.

I've heard of pitch recognition software that could do that, but there's always a risk that the system is flawed and does things it's not supposed to do.

Btw, my response when Matt told me about this idea:

17:29 - EvoWarrior5: Meh, then again do you really think it's fair to exclude people from voice communication (and being warden in the case of jailbreak) just because they're young and have a squeeky voice?
17:29 - EvoWarrior5: As long as they're just talking and not screaming or making weird noises

Not overtly for or against right now. Just questioning whether this is a fair thing to do; and asking people to question so as well. So long as they have an at least acceptable microphone and are not breaking rules, should we really mute all young voices indiscriminately?

Nothing, nothing against younger players, but sometimes their voice can be very annoying for older players' ears.
Just mute him locally or use "voice_enable 0" for maximum enjoyment.

Since you can mute people with your client I would say there is no reason for a software. You could just call an admin, mute him and wait for him to get muted. c:

• Agree
Reactions: Lukas and mermite
Exactly, that's what Zeprus said.

Just mute him locally or use "voice_enable 0" for maximum enjoyment.
This makes no sense. It's the same thing if a guy spammed in voice chat. Everybody could just set no voice for him, and there would be no needing of mutes by us admins. o_O

Just questioning whether this is a fair thing to do
Well, Evo, I said you, in my opinion it's a 100% licit thing to do (if our users are in favour of this).
It's not discrimination, since we can say that the game should already have an age restriction.
But, let's see what people think.

This makes no sense. It's the same thing if a guy spammed in voice chat. Everybody could just set no voice for him, and there would be no needing of mutes by us admins. o_O

I see your point, but I have to say that what Solid says does make some sense. If someone spams in the voice/screams/speaks a foreign language, those are things that the rules forbid. The rules forbid them because they are generally less than not appreciated.

And I know what you want to say, a lot of people also don't like kid's voices. But each of the other examples were made forbidden by the rules because they had explicit reason to be made forbidden: it was reasonable to forbid them. In this case on the other hand, it is questionable how reasonable this is.

I think the main issue right now is: what is more reasonable? To forbid young players from ever using the voice chat; or to ask of players who are annoyed by a kid's voice while said kid is doing nothing wrong to mute them client-side?

Well yea but a lot of people are too dumb to mute someone locally, hence why we have to do it globally. Luckily for you those people are mostly kids and will probably don't even realize that they're listening to a squeaky voice because they're used to it and thus wont complain.

EDIT: Evo explained it in a less offensive way, go and read his post

Last edited:
The rules forbid them because they are generally less than not appreciated.
Well, we can say it because now there's no rule to age limit in voice chat, but we are going to debate about it ;)
If also kiddy voices are not appreciated as the other things, we can't know it now. That's why we made the thread.

Actually this propably shouldn't be a rule for all servers, jailbreak e.g. would have even more problems getting wardens. :p

Actually this propably shouldn't be a rule for all servers, jailbreak e.g. would have even more problems getting wardens. :p

Oh yea, that's also something I mentioned.

It would exclude young players from ever being the warden. Though, if you don't want kids to be the warden, that is actually a good thing.

Keep looking at both sides, people.

Many times I invited friends to Jailbreak, but they left because they complained about Warden's voice. And, they also join guards, intentioned to be Wardens.
In the same way, many well-intentioned people with a mature voice join Jailbreak, but when they hear a kiddy voice as Warden, they left, even if they are guards: they are annoyed by those voices. At least, that's what I saw.

Many times I invited friends to Jailbreak, but they left because they complained about Warden's voice. And, they also join guards, intentioned to be Wardens.
In the same way, many well-intentioned people with a mature voice join Jailbreak, but when they hear a kiddy voice as Warden, they left, even if they are guards: they are annoyed by those voices. At least, that's what I saw.
It's a while since I played jailbreak but I remember hours of having no warden with mic. I was even happy when a kid became warden. But that's propably just me. :)
Edit: I see your point. I voted yes. :)

Last edited:
This is just a wild suggestion that popped into my mind: perhaps it would be an option to add this rule only to Jailbreak? I mean, as Matt is trying to illustrate and as I can fully imagine, kid voices have a much more major impact on that server than anywhere else. It would be more reasonable to implement this plugin there.

There are hours when you don't find people to play with.
Well, kids or teenagers, it depends. If more teenagers started to join our servers not hearing kiddy voices, well, the chances that after dead matches there will be a Warden with a mature voice will improve surely. So, it would not be a problem. Hours of absence of players are a problem anyway, not related to Jailbreak ;)

This is just a wild suggestion that popped into my mind: perhaps it would be an option to add this rule only to Jailbreak? I mean, as Matt is trying to illustrate and as I can fully imagine, kid voices have a much more major impact on that server than anywhere else. It would be more reasonable to implement this plugin there.
I would add all other "fun" maps since these are the maps that attract kids.
As long as more people vote yes, of course. :D

I wouldn't judge a person by his age or voice, someone could really have a soft voice but still mature etc..etc... don't think age limiting is a good option.

I wouldn't judge a person by his age or voice, someone could really have a soft voice but still mature etc..etc... don't think age limiting is a good option.
I wrote:
I don't judge the person himself, really, I still know kids on Steam who are sometimes more mature than teens.
But the problem is only the voice, that can't be changed (what I suggested is a sort of age limit, since we admins can only judge voice in server, not the exact age that we can't know).
And, voice of kids can really get annoying for teens'ears.
For kid voice, I mean those voices who are still not mature, and indeed what you hear is something
between a girl voice and a male voic
e.
There CAN be 12/13 years-old guys who have a mature voice, so the mute is not related to the age, but only to the voice itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread