Completed Some Map Ideas for Vsh/FF2. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darky

Heya all. Here are some Maps I found on Gamebanana, that could be worth a try adding to the map list of vsh and/or ff2. Most of the time players just choose the maps they know best like Military Area or Weapon Storage. So these are just a few maps I found interesting and should be mostly balanced to play on. I'm only skeptical about maybe Drejun or Desert Post, as they seem pretty big and open, which usually isnt the best for the Hale. As for the other Maps I think they are pretty balanced, having high and low grounds, a few not too big and open spaces, but also not too many small and cramped spaces.
Feel free to say your "constructive opinions" on these maps, perhaps you have a favourite?

1. Toxicaro (5b)
2. Desert Post
3. Rooftops
4. Riverside
5. Drejun
6. Jealo
7. Runes
8. Croc Lab

• Happy
Reactions: Ian
After taking a look at them
Toxicaro: looks very well done, do see some spots engis can camp hard at control point (which would be harder for VSH)
Desert Post: you are right, that map is big. sniper paradise, but there is a good amount of cover (wish there was more) castle area seems like a good place for hale though
Rooftops: YES. pretty much anti sniper (exceptions are of course hale is on roofs or snipers are good close range) very CQC map with the exception of that very large tunnel. but looks like a blast
RiverSide: looks very bland ngl. has some open spots and not a lot of cqc areas, but could be worth trying
Drejun: as you said, very open, BUT doesnt look ideal for snipers (unless they can get on the pillar things) still worth trying
Jealo: Looks VERY well done, fits long range and cqc styles. could be an issue for hale trying to jump across, but besides that I would love to see it.
Great suggestions @Darkwolf now I need to make a thread to add a map lol

Idk if its the case on FF2, but our VSH server already has Jealo.
A lot of these maps seem pretty neat, but quite a few of these maps just seem like large open areas with not a lot to them which ultimately lead to sniper vs hale.
I wouldn't mind having a few of these maps added, though we have a lot of other maps that people want added/updated/removed so it may be time for another VSH map megathread, can't speak on FF2's behalf tho.

I'm also suggesting those maps:

The last one is a very nostalgic map personally, it's the first map that introduced me into vsh

• Dislike
Reactions: Magglet and Heather
Let me join in aswell. And since i dont have anything better to do (actually i do but whatever) i actually decided to walk around each map and see how it would play out.

So lets start with the first map.

Toxicaro: At first sight it looked very clean with beautiful looking textures and thats what makes many maps enjoyable. However thats it for the most part. It has some what i would consider to be cons. Starting with the size of it, because this map is MASSIVE. While having some big maps can be fun as there are a lot of strategies to think of, this one is rather too big. The spawns between the red and blu spawn is so distant that engies will already have a level 2 sentries set up before the hale will reach the other spawn. Because imo the most favourable camping spot is in the red spawn. Second problem with it is that when there are fewer players in the server than it can pretty much turn into a very long hns game when no admin will be available because either the hale doesnt know how to navigate through the map, or there is a scout going to one of many spots in the map almost no one will go to.
When talking about camping spots then (as i said before) the red spawn is the most ideal spot for snipers and engies since the only way for the hale to reach these high spots is through superjumping. Climbing the walls wont work as it is not flat enough making it even harder for the HHH to play and win any of these rounds (and playing hhh alone in general is already bad enough).
And the map either consists of too open area which makes snipers incredibly annoying and better in that environment , or too enclosed which makes superjumping useless since the inside is very packed.
Normally i could go on but that should be clear enough on my opinion with this map as otherwise i will be talking too much. -1

Desert Post:
Wont make a proper review unless this will be fixed. -1

Rooftops: First map here that i actually like to be added. It is neither too big or too small and the spawns are far close enough to not have engies build an entire nest before the hale arrives at the scene. Altough the map feels rather odd at first for me, the textures are actually pleasing to look at. Despite not being able to properly test it, im certain that it will make the rounds be way more balanced.
There are only a few camping spots i could find which i like as it means that the red team has to work harder together instead of having to sit in a spot mindlessly sitting.
The Skybox also is in a decent height which lets the hale have better agility. And despite HHH being the worst boss to get it actually would seem well balanced since it can use its wall climbing ability easily.
When it comes to maneuverability it actually works extremely well since getting on the roofs is very easy aswell as jumping to other roofs to escape the hale which lets other classes exept for scout to escape him.
I think that this map is really well balanced which i definetly like about it. Definetly my favourite map out of all of these. +1

Riverside:
So this is something i think is just not good enough to be added for VSH. Again it is esthetically pleasing, however the terrain is rather painful to deal with because there are a LOT of trees scattered all around the map. And like in hakurei shrine these trees are very hard to deal with against snipers and airborne hales since they obstruct the sightline against people underneath these trees while snipers can just "hop" from one tree to the other when escaping the hale. And imo its rather boring to play in. There is barely any change in the terrain as it looks the same throughout most of the map. One more issue is that the health/ammopacks are scattered in very strange places across the map that make less mobile classes have a hard time reaching them as they are far apart. -1

Drejun: Ok another very esthetically pleasing map and one which actually has very good terrain to move around. Skybox is high enough for hale to move around comfortably and HHH can decently use his wall climb ability. I think that it offers less maneuverability for slower classes compared to Rooftops but is still really decent. And despite the map being basically a square, the sniper isnt that broken since it has very few spots having a view throughout the entire map. Something which the hale can easily reach. Ammo and healthpacks are also somewhat decently spread through the map (altough its a bit clustered at the same time). I think that the map will be decently balanced since each class has its own strength and weaknesses depending on how the cards are being played. Either way this will be a +1

Jealo:
1613164363445.png

We already have it but we simply never play it.

Runes: So i think that this is probably the worst map out of these 8 so far. Even this map looks very nice and has a theme which i also like. But it is a very small map. Altough military area is smaller than this map (i think). It is basically going to ruin a lot of rounds because falling off the map is incredibly easy to do which kills anyone when they fall down (exept for hale since it does 500 damage). Many people would most likely ragequit because of that massive inconvenience.
Now normally i like to have launchpads since they let people get across the map quicker (like bianco hills) however i think that this will basically be overkill since there are in both spawns 2 launchpads. It can be abused by hale to get to the other spawn point almost instantly to kill unsuspecting reds or pyros using m2 once to deal 500 damage since there is very little space to walk on. I just dont think that this map was designed for VSH and more of a PvP situtation. -1

Croc Lab:
Last map in this list. I really like the way it was made. The map is really beautiful to look at which lets you forget the negatives of this map. The Ammo and heath packs are for the most part spread nicely across the map (maybe a bit too many). It is of decent size which automatically balances the teams a bit more. Camping classes have some nice spots to choose from with none of them being broken. But while i think that the map looks very decent. I think it is properly balanced.
Snipers can see almost everything unhindered with one large area that requires the hale to superjump 2 times depending on the situation. And one thing which i find a negative in this map is these
jumppads. The only way to quickly get to a different elevation is by using these jumpads. But when using these your movement ceases other than upwards and therefore can be abused by people for goombas very easily (much like crevice. However with crevice there is just enough movement to dodge these goombas). And the probably least occurring but also biggest problem is that in these "kill areas" where the crocodiles are swimming, that you'll take 1000 damage when falling in there. The problem with that is that you dont get teleported out of there and are basically stuck slowly taking tons of damage while also being simultaneously being shot at. -1

So in short all summarized, the only maps i want to have added are Rooftops and Drejun. The other maps will simply be either too broken or unbalanced

I'm also suggesting those maps:

The last one is a very nostalgic map personally, it's the first map that introduced me into vsh
Egyptyspot is a map I loved to play on back then, but I believe that was on a different vsh server, and it may be a bit op for snipers and that one camping spot isnt that good either.
Polar express probably just wouldnt work because of the moving trains and the very cramped spaces.
apg reworked, I thought we already had a version of that map, but whatever, I think its alright.
2tower reworked looks pretty cramped to me but i havent tested it yet, so id say probably not that balanced, judging by the screenshots.
Arena Suijin, based on what I experienced in casual matches, tree snipers could very well be a common thing if this map got added, tho it could still be a fun map to play on.

Toxicaro does indeed have the issue of being too big, far too many rooms and spots with no real incentive to actually be in them, everyone will just camp out at red spawn since its too risky to go inside. no

I'd rather play vsh_janitors_closet instead of desert post. no

Rooftops is pretty good, map provides options for classes without the means to rapidly access the high ground, buildings are well placed, alternative hale exit, smaller medkits on high ground with larger, more riskier medkits on lower ground, the creator obviously knows how VSH/FF2 works, only con are those two shanty shack things on the roof which block superjumps and rocket jumps. Other than that, the map appears to be well balanced. yeah

Riverside is incredibly shallow and scuffed, only point of interest is the shack which is also lacking in details, and trees don't protect against sniper halos. (sniper class limit when) no

As much as I love Halo 3 and the map Sandtrap, idk if Drejun is any good for VSH/FF2, felt like PigPig focused more on capturing the æsthetics of Sandtrap than actual gameplay value, pretty conflicted on this one, maybe I'll revisit it later after a good nights sleep.

I don't really like Jealo, too small and compact, and since nobody is playing it, we won't be able to figure out if it works in real matches. no

Runes is not fit for gameplay at all for obvious reasons, not only that but the runes don't actually mean anything, its just a mixture of elder fuþark runes, fuþorc runes, younger fuþark runes and medieval runes, absolutely disappointed, I was hoping such useless knowledge could actually prove useful for once. Oh and the easter egg is another one of those spinning things where you have to time your jumps and we all know how so very fun those are. At least the creator tells you how to do it through the chalkboards, saves me needing to decompile it. no

Croc Lab seems alright, though its slightly shallow, esp on the BLU side, and the amount of medkits could be toned down a bit. Snipers shouldn't be an issue on this map since you actually have paths to take to get to them plus the map isn't very large, the issue with snipers on large maps is that you are punished severely no matter what you do, if you pursue them you lose health, if you ignore them you lose health, though thats another discussion for later. yeah

Egyptyspot is a hell yeah as long as sniper gets class limited to 1 or 2 or just gets blocked outright, such a nostalgic map. no until sniper is fixed

Polar express is very unique, so much so that I genuinely have no clue if it is good or not, the gameplay I see would be mostly skirmishing and fast paced matches, it'll have to be tested in real matches to see if that is for the better or worse. voting yes purely for scientific/chaotic reasons

APG reworked is not perfect, but much better than the original, the spawns actually make sense, snipers are not as safe, and it is an actual VSH/FF2 map, not a trading map. Plus its got far better optimisation unlike the original. yeah

2Towers reworked, the original orange map was already pretty good, giving the map a much needed facelift, judging from my past experiences with the original map, yeah.

Suijin is an immediate no from me due to being an arena map, once again, looks of a map doesn't matter if its gameplay is dogshit. no

The only ones I think might be balanced are Riverside, Rooftops, Jealo and Croclab.

I would say no to Desert Post and Runes, as I dont think they would be balanced or fun. Desert Posts has a lot of empty flat space and Runes is completely open.

Toxicaro is interesting as it gives off the feeling of a classic map, but it has some large empty spaces.

This is just my opinion.

I'd like to make this into a mega thread for new VSH / FF2 maps. If there is one all ready existing this can be a 2021 version ::): All ideas here with links to the maps. Feedback on the ideas given by panda members is encouraged and considering if it's mostly negative I won't poll them up. Those that are positive I'll poll them up.

• Sad
Reactions: Darky and Aces
The only ones I think might be balanced are Riverside, Rooftops, Jealo and Croclab.
In terms of maps actually worth adding to vsh, I think it honestly boils down to these 4
Though we have Jealo, and I worry there might be dodgy water spots on Riverside

Racer's post covers a lot of the other maps really well

Time for round 2 with this time reviewing what Falko added

Egyptspot: So ill start off once again with saying that this map has nice textures that feel good to look at. Because thats one of the important things to decide whether it is fun or not. Even ammo and healthpacks are decently spread out however i think that the big ones should be smaller. For the rest however i can only see problems towards the hale that will cause a massive imbalance. Firstly the map is rather too open. You can have a lot of spots to choose from as sniper. you dont even have to get high up since just choosing any elevated spot on the map will be enough to shoot the hale most of the time.
Second is that while this water is rather ok-ish, it will still be a hazard when in there. Superjumping is hard to pull off when youre even a bit too low in the water. And about the water theres also a part where there is a "current" forcing you to go into one direction when in there.
Then the 3rd mayor issue is, that this map supports very heavy camping area as i discovered one room only accessible by constantly crouching through a long tunnel. If taken by the reds then the hale will either have a hard time going in there or wont be able to go in there at all. Scenarios if the reds had engies, pyros, medics and heavies (classes which are often found in camping spots)
Saxton Hale: Cant go in there at all even when he would rage. It takes longer going through the tunnel than the stun lasts.
Vagineer: May have a very small chance depending whether there are pyros or not. The uber may last longer but the pyros dont have to spam it because of how slow the vagineer can be when crouching
Christian Brutal Sniper: May have a chance since there is also a small (but inaccessible) window that the cbs could use for shooting arrows. However theres only very little to shoot and the players can just "hide" next to the window
Headless Horseless Headman: Atleast the HHH has a better chance to go in there because he could teleport. However it is a high risk low reward. When unlucky the HHH could be telefragged, stuck in a building or ubered player or simply rage at the wrong time melting him within seconds.
Easter Bunny: Same scenario with Saxton hale. Unless he manages to somehow get in there he can deliver chaos. But that is so unlikely that Easter Bunny can be treated the same as Saxton Hale.

APG:
Alright so i expected this apg to be slightly differrent, yet it feels like an entirely new map. If it was called anything but apg then i wouldnt even recognize it as a rework. The old one honestly had rather shitty spawn areas while the new ones make it much better. The map itself looks better than the old one because of having more terrain, props and colours. It even is definitely smaller compared to the older one but that does not mean that snipers are less of an issue. It is still rather open throughout the map but i think it should be manageable. Ammo and health packs also seem balanced enough. If not the packs should be atleast smaller than.
Now this map does encourage some rather difficult camping spots, however i think that they are much more penetrable and therefore makes it more balanced.
Also while this is a "rework" i honestly dont think that it should mean that the rework and original are the same. I am under the impression that they are different in playstyle and therefore shouldnt automatically replace the original. But if we had to choose between those 2 then i would definetly prefer rework over the original.
+1

Polar express: Honestly it feels very iconic. Out of all the maps we have so far i dont think we ever had one like that. But i can see why we never had such a map. First of all it gives off a lack of escape options for any class because any wagon you walk into only has one entrance and exit and when youre being chased by the hale then its pretty much gg for you. Some let you have to option to simply jump off the train and luckily you only take like 1 damage a second when not on any of these wagons. However the only way to get back on the trains is by going all the way back near the red spawn where there are some ladders in the end. And only there can you actually get back on the train which means unless youre a soldier or other classes with very specific weapons you wont be able to go anywhere else exept on the very last wagon because thats the only way to recover. Something that the hale could quickly use to its advantage when someone fell down.
(FYI: The Blu aka "hale" will teleport onto the last wagon if it missed the train).
Next problem is that this map is actually unbalanced. Not in reds favour but in the hales favour actually most of the time. There is only one single camping spot to choose from which is the train where the hale spawns on. However getting there will be hard because there are only 2 ways to get there which the hale can easily cut off.
I like it if there are maps making the game more balanced since the reds otherwise just stomp on the bosses most of the time, however that does not mean that it should also be the other way around. -1

2tower:
Ok this one will be short because it will be a direct -1. Same problem with Egyptspot exept even worse. I didnt actually even bother going through the entire map but i have experience with a similar map on a different server. Basically infront of both spawn areas is a "waterfall" that teleports you into a small room. And that room is available on both sides of the map. When trying to exit you have the same problem again where you have to crouch through either 2 entrances, or use the teleportation thing which can be used to telefrag you very quickly. No just no. -1

Suijin:
Another short review because at first i thought it would be a nice map to play on since it seems but once i realized that the map instantly kills you when you fall down the map which is easy to do. (its actually 100k damage a second but hales only have like 27k hp at most). -1

So in short the only map i can see being added is apg. Suijin has a chance to recover from that, BUT it should fix the environmental damage before i may change my mind.

Also if any gameserver is willing to edit my post above (Line 3 when reviewing croc lab)

I think it is properly balanced.
it should actually be

I think it is rather unbalanced

Reactions: Darky
huh i thought it was at some point, must be my imagination. Since madact wants to condense the map ideas ill put mine here: TrainSawLazer (have your review racer)

huh i thought it was at some point, must be my imagination. Since madact wants to condense the map ideas ill put mine here: TrainSawLazer (have your review racer)
Man when i read the description of the workshop i already knew that it would be a shitshow and that confirmed it after i loaded the map
@Spam Goose please actually keep the suggestions serious as im not doing these reviews "just because". I want others to understand the maps a bit better before throwing down their vote without knowing the goods and the bads.

TrainSawLazer: Its a joke map. -1

Top arena: Now this is one of the more nostalgic maps, one i remember playing a long time ago. I dont remember what made it so much fun for me but it was something. Anyway as i just mentioned i am trying to keep the reviews unbiased (even tough it doesnt sound like it but im trying to be helpfun). So even for the nostalgia ill vote on whether it is worth playing or not.
The map itself looks clean. Its not overly detailed but is enough to have people interested in that map.
When it comes to health and ammo packs i would say that its set up rather weird. Only 2 big healthpacks in the middle of the map while there are tons of big ammo packs everywhere across the map (even 4 next to eachother on a container). Not something i normally like.
Then one additional problem is that the map is just slightly too open, Snipers will have an easy time shooting at the hale.
But the map is small enough for the hales to atleast get to snipers rather quickly and since there arent a lot of climbable walls on the edges of the map they should be less of a hazard. This map has a lot of strenghts and weaknesses but they do cancel eachother out which should make the gameplay more balanced on that map.
However back then playing that map was genuinely fun. I think that this map could recieve a try.
+1

Man when i read the description of the workshop i already knew that it would be a shitshow and that confirmed it after i loaded the map
@Spam Goose please actually keep the suggestions serious as im not doing these reviews "just because". I want others to understand the maps a bit better before throwing down their vote without knowing the goods and the bads.

TrainSawLazer: Its a joke map. -1

Top arena: Now this is one of the more nostalgic maps, one i remember playing a long time ago. I dont remember what made it so much fun for me but it was something. Anyway as i just mentioned i am trying to keep the reviews unbiased (even tough it doesnt sound like it but im trying to be helpfun). So even for the nostalgia ill vote on whether it is worth playing or not.
The map itself looks clean. Its not overly detailed but is enough to have people interested in that map.
When it comes to health and ammo packs i would say that its set up rather weird. Only 2 big healthpacks in the middle of the map while there are tons of big ammo packs everywhere across the map (even 4 next to eachother on a container). Not something i normally like.
Then one additional problem is that the map is just slightly too open, Snipers will have an easy time shooting at the hale.
But the map is small enough for the hales to atleast get to snipers rather quickly and since there arent a lot of climbable walls on the edges of the map they should be less of a hazard. This map has a lot of strenghts and weaknesses but they do cancel eachother out which should make the gameplay more balanced on that map.
However back then playing that map was genuinely fun. I think that this map could recieve a try.
+1
It may be a joke map but its still a fun map to play. Its nice to have 'not of the norm' map so people can have a less serious map and have a good laugh with each other. It may not be what you are used to on a ff2/vsh server Racer, but back when it debuted a good amount of Vsh servers were running it with great success. Testing/Trying it out is also better with more players, as you can experience more as well. I urge people to take a look at it for what it is, and not just dismiss it because it isn't a serious map.

When it is possible that we can here also start with adding new maps? So that we can get a nice map rotation on the server. Ty to any admin who helps here out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread