Declined Restrict questions for normal trivia (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tired of making it to final 3 on jb and then the warden decides "let's do trivia ok what was the name of the council that oversaw the signing of the magna Carta in 1215". Its essentially a game of "who can use Google the fastest" because nobody is ever going to know the answer to that, or any of the other stupidly specific questions we ask. Itd make a lot more sense if we did TF2 and simple math questions, maybe some popular trivia. But I just dont see how the warden asking me to recall the events at the siege of Troy makes any sense

So you want to suggest a rule that restricts the question for trivia so you don't have to use google? Or I'm I reading this wrong.

Imo I also had problems with this because when I played jb I can't hear the warden or the question is just irrelevant to the game. I think the question should stay inside the game or math as you suggested since asking "who made the shining movie" doesn't really seem relevant to tf2 imo, but I'm just a dodgeball player so I don't really know how you jailbreak players do it there.

deja vu

• Dislike
Reactions: Roar
Itd make a lot more sense if we did TF2 and simple math questions, maybe some popular trivia

What constitutes "popular" trivia? Although the server is based in the USA, many people play from all over the world and have various cultures where obviously some topics are more popular than elsewhere. This seems like too much work to include what can actually be considered popular, would the admins have to create a list of "allowed topics" to be used in trivia? The JB rules are already extremely long and a little difficult to fully understand, I think this will just confuse people and they will definitely be able to easily find loopholes to get around this. Not to mention there are varying ages of players (especially on JB) where a "simple" math question might be a little more difficult for some who haven't learned it yet, at least without restrictions everybody has access to the same search functions in case it really is a wild question literally nobody knows.

Last edited:
I've lost too many games of trivia to the question "How many states are in the United States". I failed Geography wtf man :( :(

But realistically, asking outlandishly specific questions like the Siege of Troy is going out of your way to either help a red you know is aware of that event which seems like favouring, or just trying to force a failround/delay with trivia questions no one would know.

This shouldn't be a rule, it should be common sense to pick questions that aren't bordering on impossible.

• Agree
Reactions: vinny and Kazzy
I mean, isn't the goal of trivia as a game having random knowledge that can be used? Besides, your qualifications for tf2 and simple math don't really solve anything. There are tons of obscure quirks in tf2s game design and weird facts in the comics that are nearly impossible to find unless you read them. I mean, you can reference one comic panel is a random comic as your question, if you really wanted, and that would be harder than a random one about Troy (good idea, btw), as it is way harder to google.

As far as math goes, simple math varies greatly depending on the expirience of the warden. For example, as an engineering student, I am well versed in calculus and doing basic calculations of integrals and derivatives is simple to me, but for others the idea of the irrational number i is years ahead of them. Any rule can have a work around and making the work around more niche (more advanced/ obscure topics in math and tf2) will just exacerbate the problem instead of solving it. Besides, as Tiger mentioned, jb already has tons of rules that the majority of the playerbase won't read through, and adding a tiny addendum for a somewhat rare occurrence (in my experience), is pointless and will only end up creating more confusion.

Reactions: Je Hooft
What constitutes "popular" trivia? Although the server is based in the USA, many people play from all over the world and have various cultures where obviously some topics are more popular than elsewhere. This seems like too much work to include what can actually be considered popular, would the admins have to create a list of "allowed topics" to be used in trivia? The JB rules are already extremely long and a little difficult to fully understand, I think this will just confuse people and they will definitely be able to easily find loopholes to get around this. Not to mention there are varying ages of players (especially on JB) where a "simple" math question might be a little more difficult for some who haven't learned it yet, at least without restrictions everybody has access to the same search functions in case it really is a wild question literally nobody knows.
It does seem arbitrary, but I feel like stuff that can be accepted as general knowledge (What's the name of the yellow pokemon with a zigzagged tail, how many bones in a human body, etc.) could go down as "popular trivia". I think it should definitely be based around US culture, since that is where the server is based and the vast majority of players live in America. If it were to be implemented, I don't think there would need to be any set boundaries as to what is an allowed topic and what isn't. My main goal is to avoid those hyperspecific questions such as "How many points did Christian Ronaldo score in his first season". I wouldn't be opposed to making trivia questions strictly TF2 and math, as TF2 is filled to the brim with topics that could be included in trivia, and it's something that everybody on the server has experience with and has been exposed to, which would address your concerns about culture differences.

In the end, I just want to avoid letting the warden ask questions that they know nobody knows the answer to, which defeats the whole purpose of trivia and I think most players would agree it's not a fun experience.

I mean, isn't the goal of trivia as a game having random knowledge that can be used? Besides, your qualifications for tf2 and simple math don't really solve anything. There are tons of obscure quirks in tf2s game design and weird facts in the comics that are nearly impossible to find unless you read them. I mean, you can reference one comic panel is a random comic as your question, if you really wanted, and that would be harder than a random one about Troy (good idea, btw), as it is way harder to google.

As far as math goes, simple math varies greatly depending on the expirience of the warden. For example, as an engineering student, I am well versed in calculus and doing basic calculations of integrals and derivatives is simple to me, but for others the idea of the irrational number i is years ahead of them. Any rule can have a work around and making the work around more niche (more advanced/ obscure topics in math and tf2) will just exacerbate the problem instead of solving it. Besides, as Tiger mentioned, jb already has tons of rules that the majority of the playerbase won't read through, and adding a tiny addendum for a somewhat rare occurrence (in my experience), is pointless and will only end up creating more confusion.
I agree that TF2 has a lot of trivia that most players don't know about, but I certainly think it's better than having the entirety of human knowledge up for grabs on a round of trivia. In terms of simple math, I think it's obvious we'd be talking 5th grade math at most (basic PEMDAS, no variables).

Reactions: Ccpop123a
I mean I love outlandish questions because I often know the answer out of nowhere. I usually avoid the problem of Trivia by just not doing it, but that's a luxury that is sometimes not possible.

Perhaps some limits would be good but it might also ruin the experience of trivia. I think it's just something that should be left up to the general community to perhaps vote on. Like "TF2 related trivia only" vs "Basic knowledge + TF2" vs "Complete allowance of all trivia".

• Agree
Reactions: Seuin and Kazzy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread