Declined [JB] New accounts should be automatically guard banned for a short period. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cream Tea

Posting in here because I don't want @Zeprus to wrongfully assume this is some kind of shitpost. Something desperately needs to be done about the mass freekilling issue and the best way to at least reduce the problem would to to temporarily guardban all new accounts. It only has to be for a short amount of time enough so that when Ruddus gets banned we can keep playing in peace for a while before he can strike again. At the moment he can be back within five or so minutes after getting banned. In case anybody has forgotten it is completely free to create a new Steam account and play Team Fortress 2. Banning doesn't stop the problem and it only gives a brief amount of time before they rejoin on another. This guy isn't using a VPN he's just switching his IP which makes him undetectable until he reveals himself. Of course being a level zero account with zero hours is a giveaway but he is smart enough to make most of them private and that isn't a guaranteed sign by itself as some genuine players do have private profiles. I believe people will be more welcoming of such a change after experiencing just how bad things can get when somebody is really determined and I want to hear your arguments for or against in detail.

• Optimistic
  • Boring
Reactions: Madact and Zeprus
Wasn't there a suggestion for this before? I can't seem to find it

There was but that was a few months ago before this became a bigger problem: https://www.panda-community.com/threads/temporary-gaurdban-on-new-players.28451/
I saw some people claiming that it would be "gatekeeping" the gamemode and could "cause the server to die". The server is far more likely to die if people are unable to play because somebody can simply join on an alt and mass freekill everybody. As for gatekeeping that's why I suggest starting the guardban length at thirty minutes or maybe an hour and increasing it if necessary. It's not a huge amount of time for a new player to wait if they really want to play on guards but it gives some time before somebody can mass freekill again with their alt.

Something desperately needs to be done about the mass freekilling issue and the best way to at least reduce the problem would to to temporarily guardban all new accounts. It only has to be for a short amount of time enough so that when Ruddus gets banned we can keep playing in peace for a while before he can strike again. At the moment he can be back within five or so minutes after getting banned. In case anybody has forgotten it is completely free to create a new Steam account and play Team Fortress 2.
And how exactly is this gonna fix the issue? You're just delaying the inevitable and its gonna happen anyways. A lot of mass alters waiting for the perfect opportunity before they strike. Giving them a temporary guardban isn't exactly gonna fix the issue since they can not act suspicious during that time period.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mark! and maxolotl
And how exactly is this gonna fix the issue? You're just delaying the inevitable and its gonna happen anyways. A lot of mass alters waiting for the perfect opportunity before they strike. Giving them a temporary guardban isn't exactly gonna fix the issue since they can not act suspicious during that time period.

It's not a complete fix but it will reduce the problem. You're right they can just join and not act sucpicious for that time but at least during that time we can play properly.

Bruh I swear you've suggested almost as many suggestions as I have in one year in just one or two weeks.

Genuine advice, if you don't wanna garner a bad reputation among the community don't be like me and post suggestions with little thought and/or no prior input from others before posting on a regular basis. I had to learn that the hard way.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mark!
Why not just an automatic guard ban for like 2 or 3 days?
Because it would allow new players to learn while also putting a lot of time between mfkers and their alts from just causing hell. Which would discourage them.

Reactions: Swify
Im curious as to why there are 11 Yes votes. New players who want to try out blu cant and are more likely to leave and never come back. And the mfks are always happening. If they are happening now or in 2 or 3 days doesnt realy make a big difference.

Im curious as to why there are 11 Yes votes. New players who want to try out blu cant and are more likely to leave and never come back.
My reasoning for a yes vote is that there is no reason why a person who is new to jb (or, specifically, just panda jb) should be able to throw themselves into the mix on the team that has full access to griefing entire rounds and wasting time because they are unaware of jb rules/gameplay in general or differences between WL/BLW and panda. It's an extremely commonplace happening and I'm interested in why you are either pretending it doesn't happen or are somehow unaware of it.

Your reasoning for a no vote is based on a hypothetical. It might be right, it might not be, but neither of us know for sure if it's correct. If panda population starts to die on average due to this change it can be reverted easily - it may cause sustained population damage, but so do frequent MFK incidents. The fix presented is a way to automatically filter new accounts that doesn't involve admins having to sit AFK on the server vetting every new player that joins.
Because most people do not have the time of day to spend 30 minutes per account (longer, if the proposition ends up acting like a generic guardban where it's 30 minutes alive) just to engage themselves in 1 mfk incident - the people who are mass-alting currently still have to eat, sleep, probably work a job and deal with things happening in their real life. Do you think that just because they'll "do it anyways" means that we should not apply subjectively reasonable band-aid fixes to reduce how frequently they're able to MFK on the server that also handles non-MFK incidents, ie players who would be lost on blue?

Add it to at least waste 30-60 minutes of life of those mfks
Im curious as to why there are 11 Yes votes. New players who want to try out blu cant and are more likely to leave and never come back. And the mfks are always happening. If they are happening now or in 2 or 3 days doesnt realy make a big difference.
New players should spent 30 mintues as red, check out the rules or not then play, those mfks who constantly come will at least have to spend some time on red before going to blu to just brrrr with demo or soldier. imo

Who´s gonna code it?
It surely could work as teambans currently work, when a fresh player joins they have to put say, an hour of playtime on the server and they can join blue.

And how exactly is this gonna fix the issue?
It's like the mic verification thing, it's not 100% effective but it greatly reduces the frequency, I feel like this would be the same.

New players who want to try out blu cant and are more likely to leave and never come back.
@scootyman put it best:
"And if someones not interested in taking 30 measly minutes to learn the rules of the server, why would we want them on anyway? It's like when an obnoxious person tells a fast food worker "you just lost yourself a customer," like.... thank god, yes, please leave."

Playing on blue is a privilege, we take that privilege away, so why can't we have some bar of entry for it?

Your reasoning for a no vote is based on a hypothetical
The worst part is this system is on other active jailbreak communities and you can find undisputable evidence of it not harming the playerbase.
So why do we have to entertain ridiculous hypotheticals when the epic facts and logic are right there?

I completely agree but how long of a restriction should it be? Are we talking about 30 mins or hours?

Wonderland had to start doing the same thing and they're still alive. This guy was targetting different jailbreak servers. As soon as he got banned from one he would join another because he might as well do the grand tour before making a new account. It would also explain why he has been joining panda more recently because he can't do it as easily on the others now.

If they are happening now or in 2 or 3 days doesnt realy make a big difference
Take into account that they'd have to wait the determined amount of time before joining blue, which is already enough to make most alters go away. Remember, they're people like the rest of us, if i had to wait 1 hour or more everytime after creating an account that'd be quite frustrating to deal with, add the fact that they can't sit in spectator neither and yeah basically that would make most non-persistent mfkers leave

It's similar to most gacha games with rerolls where you have to sit 1 hour if not more for the tutorials to finish to pull stuff and re-do the process, that's frustrating for alot of people, that's how i see it and I think it would get rid of many alters with bad intentions

Wonderland had to start doing the same thing and they're still alive.
But see this is unnecessary to guardban new players because if you ban players straight away why would anyone want to stay alive for an hour on a jailbreak server alive just to play guards this feel unnecessary also wonderland is pretty dead from what I’ve seen alot of other servers playerbase is coming to panda and since they play wonder blw and other server they already know so it just feel unnecessary in my opinion

why would anyone want to stay alive for an hour on a jailbreak server alive just to play guards this feel unnecessary
Would you rather have constant mass freekillers on alts daily and accidental freekills from unaware new players or have genuinely new people learn how to act as guards by watching blues instead of diving right in the team and make mistakes? (Aside from halving most likely half alters if not more) I know the say is we learn from our mistakes but 1 hour is better for new players rather than a longer guardban from accidental freekills

It doesn't hurt new people and will most likely avoid even more freekills that way, the only way to know however is to test it, I'm positive that it will be a good plugin to have

30 minutes sounds like the most reasonable time, the new players should also get some kind of pm or message informing them that they need to play on red for a bit in order to be on blue so they don't get confused on why they cant join it.

Also to all the people that keep saying we'd lose players because they can't go a certain team, they are WAY more likely to quit from some hardass blue killing them for the stupidest mistake, the only players that actually stick around are the ones that already understand blue team is an important part of the gamemode, either through reading the rules or from their first few rounds.

Because most people do not have the time of day to spend 30 minutes per account (longer, if the proposition ends up acting like a generic guardban where it's 30 minutes alive) just to engage themselves in 1 mfk incident - the people who are mass-alting currently still have to eat, sleep, probably work a job and deal with things happening in their real life. Do you think that just because they'll "do it anyways" means that we should not apply subjectively reasonable band-aid fixes to reduce how frequently they're able to MFK on the server that also handles non-MFK incidents, ie players who would be lost on blue?
I was more on my account what I dealt with back then but I do agree with some parts there. 30 minute guardban doesn't sound as bad but I'm assuming average jb days is probably those Serial mass freekillers waiting for their funny video montage of them mass freekilling with "MASS FREEKILLING MONTAGE (CHILDREN CRYING) :trollface:. Then yes, I would say we can implement this.

What I meant from my account back then was there was this specific mass freekiller that just micspammed super idol everytime or some random ass jojo music. This guy was really dedicated that I spent over 2 hours or more and then @Kazzy took care of the rest at midnight :trollface:. This guy was super dedicated that you might as well just be freekill lord spam. I think this followed up until he gave up and the next group of serial mass freekillers come on that basically did the same thing. I think its the reason why I didn't think much of it in the first place. But hey, I rather deal with some random ass dude who freekills within a 30 minute timespan over a 1 minute timespan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread