Accepted St. Pricholas Application #2 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pricholas

Name:
Nicholas, alias: (St.) Pricholas

Reason for application:
Willing to contribute to the dodgeball community, probably especially when other admins aren’t present at late hours of the night.

STEAM_0:0:5121660

Availability:
I live in the SE US (Central time), and with college life, I’m up at strange hours. I frequently play TF2, and play DB when I need some adrenaline. So in and out 24/7 basically.

Servers most played:
I strictly play the dodgeball USA 24/7 server, for reasons due to location of said server, it’s the only server that has had a reliable connection for me.

Microphone:
I do, but requires tedious troubleshooting to get working with my laptop.
I currently have my laptop connected to two external monitors for an extended desktop.
Setting up the stereo headset or a microphone is very troublesome, so I can only efficiently use the messaging box.

Experience with admin / mod:
I haven’t had the opportunity to act as an admin before, but I do have some knowledge as to what their role is on a server. Once upon a childhood ago, I played HL2dm and CSS, but particularly HL2dm had some wacky servers. I always played nice with the admins, because an admin has the ability to make the game even more unique.

Why should I be chosen:
To choose any stranger to have any power is a gamble at best. However, I will simply choose not to be “that guy.” I’m tend to be the neutral party. I don’t intend to make a fool of myself at any time. My actions will always be well warranted.

Policies and punishments:
All offenses truly depend on the nature of the act.
I’ve played enough dodgeball to understand what the major offenses are by now, and can clearly tell when someone is intentionally breaking rules.
I won’t be too flashy about my role, I understand it is a privilege.

First time offenders for any match will be met with a warning message or slap to ensure they understand that they are in offense of said rule.
The minor offenses include spamming, stealing, blocking, and suicide TK.

For a major offense, such as persistence of minor offenses, or even a combination of them all, will result in a more harsh punishment according to the offense.

For a persistent spammer, they shall be muted after a warning. If it’s mic spam, I personally won’t hear it, because I typically mute everyone when I join a game to help me concentrate. So my recommendation to anyone who is complaining about a mic spammer, just mute them.
Similar to spam, racism or hate will result in a strict warning, followed by necessary punishment.

For a repetitive rocket stealer, they will be slain when a steal is plain and obvious.

For blocking, it depends on if they are purposefully standing in someone’s orbit zone to block them, or if they are both hardcore CQC pros who just ran into each other. But persistent blocking with ill intention will result in warning followed by a slaying / kicking.

I’ve seen a couple of legit hackers on panda dodgeball late at night. This I have no tolerance for, because a hacker whose mind is set to headshot everyone can ruin any game. Instant kick, and if they return they will be banned.

Any input or advice welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
here is your previous application: https://www.panda-community.com/threads/admin-application.9170/

Anyone who knows better than me, just correct me ^^:
I think you have to create a new application because some months had already passed. As I had seen before, they usually put the application on hold if you are near 72 hours of playtime.

Just wait for an admin's input on this. (if you have to make a new application, maybe add more information to your application)

Appreciative of the fairly quick response, I will read up on the process and what is expected once again.
And I will post the application here as another response to this thread.

I've edited in your new application that has the template.
You've passed requirements, pending. @Luigi123 @Cryptic

Awesome! I have some questions, if I will get all of these answers later, then just make sure to point me in the right direction.
If these questions should be answered here at this time, I will go ahead and ask some of the heavier ones that I can think of.

So is an admin granted access to a special UI where they can select options from the menu?
If yes, then the some of the next question may be moot.
Or am I going to need to learn some binds.
So maybe like, a "cheat sheet" figuratively, of a list of things an admin has use of? Not only the function, but the commands as well? Because I'm not familiar with too many of the current commands that I'm positive panda servers do have.
I do understand the basics such as /nominate !rtd rtv etc... I also know how to bind one or multiple commands to a key in console.
The only binds I have and use are for when internet is crap, and I want to have fun with bots offline. (addcons and such)
(Wondering if I should unbind the addcon commands)
So more or less, I'm curious of the binds an other admin might have who has the same role as I may in a future scenario.
Like how to use the admin text to give players a warning about stealing / blocking

Also, not that it's inconvenient in any way for me, will I be adding any DB community members / other admins to my steam friends?
If so, will they add me, or should I look into who they are and add them myself.

Awesome! I have some questions, if I will get all of these answers later, then just make sure to point me in the right direction.
If these questions should be answered here at this time, I will go ahead and ask some of the heavier ones that I can think of.

So is an admin granted access to a special UI where they can select options from the menu?
If yes, then the some of the next question may be moot.
Or am I going to need to learn some binds.
So maybe like, a "cheat sheet" figuratively, of a list of things an admin has use of? Not only the function, but the commands as well? Because I'm not familiar with too many of the current commands that I'm positive panda servers do have.
I do understand the basics such as /nominate !rtd rtv etc... I also know how to bind one or multiple commands to a key in console.
The only binds I have and use are for when internet is crap, and I want to have fun with bots offline. (addcons and such)
(Wondering if I should unbind the addcon commands)
So more or less, I'm curious of the binds an other admin might have who has the same role as I may in a future scenario.
Like how to use the admin text to give players a warning about stealing / blocking

Also, not that it's inconvenient in any way for me, will I be adding any DB community members / other admins to my steam friends?
If so, will they add me, or should I look into who they are and add them myself.

There is an admin menu by just typing in /admin . Of course, this is only accessible when powers are granted. In that menu varies a variety of commands to get a new admin started.
This though is for newbie admins and only have commands tailored to your status. Once promoted, more advance server options come up such as changing maps and voting to turn rcon related things.

It is best though to learn how to type commands up as then you won't be able to make a mistake. One button press mistake can happen...plus it's faster just to type it out :p

Examples of basic commands in action;

/ban username 60 exploiting
/mute username 120 micspam

Public admin chat (This is the one where it put in chat ADMIN : ) is press by pressing y and then having a @ infront of the message. Middle screen messages are @@@. And private admin chat(admins see this only) is by pressing u and then @ at beginning of message.

Binds you need the console for. I won't go into full detail, but here's an example:

bind [ "say @Do not steal rockets"

More information on commands and situations are in an admin guide I think. Most of time it's best to ask the mentor.

I suggest the people I tagged in my previous comment. I wouldn't harass them though, but I would join on them while they are playing on the server you have applied for. It'll give them a sense of what you are like.

Okay, I run into both Crypt and Luigi fairly often, except Crypt has been lagging whenever I see him.
Like I mentioned in my application, I actually have two screens up, which is where I can have a notepad open on the right screen, with lists of all the commands I need. I do this while playing offline with bots aha, but it's incredibly useful to avoid alt+tabbing, or having a physical copy I'd have to write out.
If you're saying there is a guide here somewhere, firstly where can I find it, and secondly does it contain all the commands that I would generally need to learn? Thanks!

If you're saying there is a guide here somewhere, firstly where can I find it, and secondly does it contain all the commands that I would generally need to learn? Thanks!

If your app is accepted you will be linked the guide by your mentor. And yes, it contains pretty much all commands to get you started. If there are any questions not answered by the guide, you'll have a mentor to answer your questions, or you can just dump all of your life problems and people will either ignore you, laugh at you or help you.

Alright cool. Ill try to keep my eye on this website, I have it bookmarked to remind me of it's existence.

Ay Pricholas! Feel free to add and/or harass me :kappa:

If you still have any questions in regards to administrating, I'd be willing to answer 'em if deemed appropriate.

Comments:
  • Sorry, but as of now I don't have any feedback for Pricholas. As Pricholas said, I've been lagging a lot lately, which prevents me from playing and administrating efficiently. That'll change once I purchase a new laptop on Black Friday.
Suggestions:

For a persistent spammer, they shall be muted after a warning. If it’s mic spam, I personally won’t hear it, because I typically mute everyone when I join a game to help me concentrate. So my recommendation to anyone who is complaining about a mic spammer, just mute them.

I understand where you're coming from, 'cause I had numerous players muted prior being admin. However, I'd advise you to unmute 'em all. If you leave 'em muted, you're left unaware of what's being said. This may include insulting, advertising hacks, etc. Also, it's important to punish players who flout the rules, 'cause simply ignoring 'em won't stop 'em from continuing. In fact, it'll motivate 'em to break the rules, 'cause they're given this idea of "I won't be punished."

I’ve seen a couple of legit hackers on panda dodgeball late at night. This I have no tolerance for, because a hacker whose mind is set to headshot everyone can ruin any game. Instant kick, and if they return they will be banned.

We don't tolerate hackers. If a player is caught hacking, it's an instant permanent ban. As a Trial, you must record a demo of the hacker, and ban 'em temporarily for a couple hours, 'cause Trails can't permanent ban. During those hours, you'll have to contact a Full Admin to change that temporary ban to a permanent ban. If you don't know how to record a demo, just let me know.

kq0z.JPG

This is prob'ly a joke, but can you please explain this?

It's you :kappa:

Anyway Pricholas is a nice, kind player. I play with him a lot, and he is very friendly and respects rules MOST of the time. A few negative things though from what I've seen he does steal. He doesn't steal that often, but he steals a good amount when not many players are on. Also, I don't really see St.Pricholas enforce that many rules, but he does. That's all I really have to say about Pricholas. Good Luck Bud!

His info: https://gameme.panda-community.com/playerinfo/1723789

• Informative
Reactions: Cryptic
Aha well when there's no admin on, or if numerous other people in the server are constantly stealing, I get tired and frustrated very quickly. I do try to play by the rules when serious players are on, and I will admit sometimes it can be funny or even somewhat appropriate. But there is a time for such things. And an explanation to my chat history, again with the persistence of some other players, it irks me on so many levels to have a rocket stolen by the same person over and over. Partial reasoning why I'd like to apply, because I'm damned tired of being reduced to their level, that the only thing I can do is /call and wait, or just start stealing their rockets too xD which typically results in both of us dying to the same rocket.

I will slowly start unmuting people, its funny because I can always tell when someone is new, or that we haven't met, because it's become standard for me to mute everybody upon joining. Well spoken with your point as well, I may try to update my situation with my own microphone, and stop being so anti.

I can research how to record the demo, I know TF2 had an update not long ago that added a new recording feature overhaul.
Shouldn't be too hard.

Nah, you don't need to stoop down to their level; you're better than that :kappa:

Once you get comfortable with recording demos, you can report hackers, stealers, or bodyblockers, if you wish to do so. You can also report chat spammers, by simply linking their GameME history chat. If you need help finding a player's history chat, just message me on Steam.

Essentially, I'd like to better understand the process of sharing that demo recording.
I understand the raw recording is saved as a .dem file, and there are ways I am currently reading on some wiki page about converting it to an avi or a mov file... so question being, how far will I need to be capable of going with a recording?

Typically posting a .dem file is more convenient for everyone. It takes up less space and gives reviewing admins the freedom of inspecting to the level of detail that they desire while a video only gives them a single perspective. For purposes of evidence it is always best to run the "status" command in console within the demo. It creates more solid evidence against the steamID associated with the nick you're reporting.

What I typically do is record all of my gameplay. I then have a couple things bound to make my life easier:

Code:
alias rec_new "ds_stop; ds_record;" // Stop the current recording and start a
// new one. That way I can cut my demos on the fly without missing anything
// potentially important. Making small snippets like this makes demos much quicker to
// upload, much quicker for me to rewatch (I typically include tick times for events of
// interest in my reports) and also much quicker for admins to review and handle,
// resulting in reports being handled faster.

alias rec_status "status;ds_mark status" // This command will issue the status
// command creating a hard Name to SteamID mapping for everyone on the server at
// that moment. At the same time it creates a bookmark which makes it easier for me
// to figure out where the status is lovated in the demo later. I'll include the tick times in
// my reports for admins to look at.

Familiarizing yourself with the new demo support (ds_) can be incredibly helpful if you plan on recording demos for report / evidence frequently. I also recommend using a separate directory for them or else your /tf/ folder will become very cluttered quite soon.

Code:
ds_dir demos

As for the format of reports, you can see the general format in the pinned thread within the reports section. As for where to upload your demos: I personally use and would recommend dropbox. There is also a feature to attach files to your posts directly on the forum.

If you need any help just spam me on steam and I'll do my best to respond in a timely manner.

Okay. I've taken notes, and will start experimenting with the demo recording when I have some extra time.
Thank you for the quick explanation, I read the tutorial section, and have saved the links to the steamID finder, plus the ban checker.
I'm thinking I've got the majority of the commands I need related to recording.
I may become pretty good at this, because I can run TF2 in a borderless window, allowing for seamless desktop use on my right hand external screen, with the game running in the left. I'll post again here later when I've figured out the demos.

Alrighty, I've successfully created a .dem file for testing. It is in my tf folder, and I was able to playback the recording.
I was in contact with luigi123 at an earlier time today, to which he responded to my general "what's next" question, with a follow up post here on my application.

Hey there,
Glad you're applying,

I have played with you several times and you're a nice player, however as Cryptic showed that Screenshot, that kind of bothers me if you are stealing the rocket when an Admin is not on, luckily, a user who told me about you who wanted to remain anonymous informed me that you don't steal the rockets and break rules which makes me happy to hear that.

I do like to see some more enforcement you, however many people behave when an Admin no one is really breaking any rule what so ever and you don't really get a chance to enforce, but again just a bit more. You do show enforcement and you tell it in a respectful way, that is something I like to see.

So far you do not have any punishments from the Sourcebans which is a good sign! What makes me happy again is that you are willing to take notes on stuff you have not done before (aka recording a demo) and follow other users suggestions and such, that is an excellent sign of motivation on becoming an Admin (It's what I think).

Overall, I do like to see a bit more enforcement from you and you shown me that you are capable of becoming an Admin and able to follow/take notes, therefore my vote will be a +1. Good luck with your App man!

• Informative
Reactions: Cryptic and Madact
Well again with stooping down to their level, I don't go about stealing rockets and blocking people just because an admin is not present. The few occurrences are typically when someone else breaks rules that involve me. I.e. stealing my rocket, or blocking with intention to kill me. If they want to play that way, I'll play their own way too. After all, at the end of the day it is just a game.

I will say that if I am granted the ability to administer and enforce rules, such a method would be obsolete for me from then on.
If somebody consistently wants to steal my rocket, all I can do is hope they move on to someone else, leave the server, switch teams, or I just leave and play something else. Being a common player felt powerless enough that I felt I needed to become a rule breaker myself in some instances.

The only reason I ever applied for this position is to help myself and the server to be less toxic.

Appreciative of the otherwise complimentary essence of your post.
I legit have a text document saved next to my tf2.exe on my desktop titled DB@
Which is already an almost full page of commands and instructions for myself.
If there are more commands to learn, I will eventually have those as well!

I look forward to seeing everyone in game here eventually!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread