Social Experiment (1 Viewer)

Persi

Hello everyone, today I want to try and do a social experiment on the forums. It is a pretty cool one and if done properly it will give us some interesting results!

The experiment will be about values and ways of judgement.

Instructions:

To start, please read this short story:

"Mary was fallen in love for Hubert, that lived in her same town, on the other side of the river that divided the citt. One day a big flood destroys all the bridges that connected the two parts of the town. Mary is desperate to see her love and so she asks Simbad, that owned a boat, to bring her to the other side of the river. Simbad says the he would bring Mary to the other side only if she had sex with him before that. Because of that Mary goes to her mother and she asks her what to do, but her mother says that she dosent want to be involved in Mary's private affairs. Mary that was desperate to see her love decides to accept Simbad's condition, and after having sex with him she is brought by Simbad to the other side. When she arrives to the other side, she goes to Hubert, and she tells him everything that happened. Hubert, after hearing all of that, becomes angry and he tells her to go away in a bad manner. At this point John, another inhabitant of the city, who was seing this happening, steps in and slaps Hubert hard. After that Mary, after smiling since Hubert was laying down on the ground in pain, goes away with John."

This story has 5 characters: Mary, Hubert, Simbad, Mary's Mother and John.

Now it's time for you to judge: please answer to this thread with a list of these 5 characters: you have to order the list starting with who you think behaved in the best way to who you think behaved in the worst way.
It is basically a list that must go from the least guilty guy to the most guitly guy.
Example:

1) Person 1 (put here who you think behaved the best)
2) Person 2
3) Person 3
4) Person 4
5) Person 5(put here you you think behaved the worst).

After the list, please briefly explain why you made such judgements.

Notes:
-There's no correct answer, just answer what honestly and according to your opinion.
-I'd suggest to immediately answer to this thread with your answer, before reading answers of others, so that you dont get persuaded by other opinions.

They don't exist, it's just a story.

Therefore, judge freely.

Allright (According to note nr2 I will put it in a spoiler)
  1. Mother
  2. Hubert
  3. John
  4. Mary
  5. Simbad
I do not like to judge but If I have to; Ill do it. The mother didnt do anything bad. The reason why Hubert & Mary hate eachother now is because Mary told Hubert about what happened. Hubert didnt do anything except for leaving Mary alone. John just took Mary away from Hubert. But the reason for all this is Simbad and Mary. Thats it.
Thats all of it. Nice experiment @Persi

Reactions: Persi
1. Mary's mother
2. Hubert
3. Mary
4. John
5. Simbad

I wouldnt say Marys mother did anything wrong. Which mother want to hear about that kind of stuff? No one. And the mother have raised Mary and have taught her right from wrong and have did her part already. Then its up to Mary to decide.
Hubert have all the right to be mad. He feel betrayed and hurt and probably really bad for making her give up her body like that to see him instead of him fighting for her. So him telling her to go away probably isnt just about her having sex. Its probably about his own guilt too.
Mary did what she think she had to to get to her love. Sex is just sex. Its not love or affection. Even if she could have tried to find another solution. Atleast this one gave her the result fast.
John just... defending a girl? Maybe. But acting without all facts. No need to hit someone.

The only one that really acted wrong was Simbad. Taking advantage of a desperate girl in need.

1. Mom
2. Hubert
3. John
4. Mary
5. Simbad

Mom and Hubert are just about even. The mother didn't really do anything wrong but she could have involved herself with her daughter more I guess. The only reason Hubert is below her is because the story says he talked to Mary "in a bad manner". "Bad" is a vague and subjective term but... sure... I'll assume it was "bad".

John's quite a dick, it looks like he didn't even know what was going on and just punched Hubert, who was right in being angry. Like, what? But well, at least it might have looked like Hubert was a bully so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mary and Simbad are the worst, but at least Mary had some motivation to do what she did.

I did not accept such as answers! Well I think it a bit differentely:

1) Mary
2) Hubert
3) Mary's Mother
4) John
5) Simbad

Poor Mary. She is in my opinion a victim of love. She loves Hubert and she is so desperate to see him that he gives her body for him. She does some things, like selling her body, but only for love. Then after making this scarifice for Hubert, she is also treated badly by him. This justifies her last reaction of smiling after seing Hubert laying down in pain.

Hubert's not that bad either. His oonly fault is treating Mary badly after all she had done, but it is understandable since hearing that your loved one had sex with another person is not pleasant.

Mary's mother in 3rd place. She leaves her daughter by herself and she just says to figure it out by herself. That is not the way a mother is supposed to act.

John is bad. He saw what was going on beetween hubert and mary and, and maybe without even knowing the facts, he goes on and punches Hubert.

About Simbad we all seem to agree, he used Mary, just beacause she was desperate.

Hello everyone, today I want to try and do a social experiment on the forums. It is a pretty cool one and if done properly it will give us some interesting results!

The experiment will be about values and ways of judgement.

Instructions:

To start, please read this short story:

"Mary was fallen in love for Hubert, that lived in her same town, on the other side of the river that divided the citt. One day a big flood destroys all the bridges that connected the two parts of the town. Mary is desperate to see her love and so she asks Simbad, that owned a boat, to bring her to the other side of the river. Simbad says the he would bring Mary to the other side only if she had sex with him before that. Because of that Mary goes to her mother and she asks her what to do, but her mother says that she dosent want to be involved in Mary's private affairs. Mary that was desperate to see her love decides to accept Simbad's condition, and after having sex with him she is brought by Simbad to the other side. When she arrives to the other side, she goes to Hubert, and she tells him everything that happened. Hubert, after hearing all of that, becomes angry and he tells her to go away in a bad manner. At this point John, another inhabitant of the city, who was seing this happening, steps in and slaps Hubert hard. After that Mary, after smiling since Hubert was laying down on the ground in pain, goes away with John."

This story has 5 characters: Mary, Hubert, Simbad, Mary's Mother and John.

Now it's time for you to judge: please answer to this thread with a list of these 5 characters: you have to order the list starting with who you think behaved in the best way to who you think behaved in the worst way.
It is basically a list that must go from the least guilty guy to the most guitly guy.
Example:

1) Person 1 (put here who you think behaved the best)
2) Person 2
3) Person 3
4) Person 4
5) Person 5(put here you you think behaved the worst).

After the list, please briefly explain why you made such judgements.

Notes:
-There's no correct answer, just answer what honestly and according to your opinion.
-I'd suggest to immediately answer to this thread with your answer, before reading answers of others, so that you dont get persuaded by other opinions.
1. Mom She did well by not going into her business and letting her be a grown up and decide on her own, because if she gave advice and Mary did it but was not happy after it could wreck their relationship.
2. Mary She sacrificed her commitment to Hubert to be with Huber (if you understand) it was hard for her and i think she did the right choice.
3. Hubert He was heartbroken with her cheating on him, but at the same time I feel like she needed to do that to see him again.
4. John Hubert was heartbroken and he didn't need John to take his girl right after the bad breakup (kind of a dick move)
5. Simbad Just a horrible person. I think we all know why.

Did you write the story yourself by the way?

Did you write the story yourself by the way?

I did not write the story, this was an experiment we did at my school.

What I did was translating the italian story in english and changing the Italian names, since they could have been confusing.

(If someone's wondering, the original names were "Genoveffa" for Mary, "Uberto" for Hubert, "Giovanni" for John, Simbad was called like that also in italian)

I did not write the story, this was an experiment we did at my school.

What I did was translating the italian story in english and changing the Italian names, since they could have been confusing.

(If someone's wondering, the original names were "Genoveffa" for Mary, "Uberto" for Hubert, "Giovanni" for John, Simbad was called like that also in italian)

"Genoveffa"

1. Hubert - He listened to Mary's story on the events that occurred; he did nothing wrong other than telling her to go away, which was completely justified.
2. John - While John's "attack" was for the wrong reason, his damage wasn't exactly permanent.
3. Mom - The mother could've done more to protect her child. The floodwater is a danger in itself, the mother failed to even acknowledge this critical information.
4. Mary - Mary seems to lack common sense, she puts herself in danger on various fronts to see her "love", she trades her body for a boat ride across floodwaters that could potentially get worse. She's entirely to blame for the situation that occurred.
5. Simbad - Deserves to be shot, taking advantage of a desperate female. He could've just given the boat ride for nothing, or for petty cash.

This is under the assumption that Mary is a mid-teen (15-17 years of age), as she still lives at home during this present time.

• Informative
Reactions: Persi and Cryptic
Interesting scenerio, I've put some thought into it.

1. Mary's Mother
2. Hubert
3. John
4. Simbad
5. Mary

1. I understand why her mother doesn't want to be involved; Mary's placing an invisible weight of pressure on her mother's back. If her mother gave her advice, she would have most likely followed through with it, whether it's morally right or not, because she feels hopeless. Mary needs to grow a backbone; her mother can't always be there for her, in times of need.
2. His actions were appropriate, in this given situation. It's the fight or flight response. Instead of fighting Mary, he asked her leave, which diminishes further tensions.
3. His actions weren't appropriate. The slap was impulsive and irrelevant.
4. Pathetic, is all I have to say.
5. She should've waited, love is patient. Who knows, the city could've repaired the bridges the following day.

Here's mine
1.No one
234: No one
5: Everyone
They all did something wrong to me, Mary sold her body for a what would seem to be a Short Boat Ride, Simbad took advantage of the distress to get some sex. Momma didn't do anything to help which to me shouldn't be the case. John wrongfully attacked someone with no context. Hubert, oh Huburt, even though he was betrayed he should of tried to at least to take care of his lover.

1. Hubert - Normal reaction, in a bad manner? Jesus when you're upset you're not going to think about what you're saying very clearly. He did nothing wrong.
2. Mary's Mother - Though it was nice that she was minding her own business, it was her mother as I wasn't really pleased with her response but it wasn't as worse as the next ones.
3. John - He only wants her pussy B) Whiteknights clearly or god mind your own god damn business. Hubert only probably said fuck off bitch and for that he deserves to be physically hurt by a randomer who was just listening in? Bloody hell. Maybe it's 'chivally' but I'm sure Mary can surive from harsh words.
4. Mary - Mary could just you know...Wait for a construction of some form of river before getting across by having sex with someone. If she loves him she can wait, or she can just let him go seeming as though she's willing to have sex with a guy for getting across. Only redeeming thing is she told Hubert afterwards, which I would imagine would be pretty hard to do.
5. Simbad - Ew >.< ffs why not ask for money? Was Mary treated differently because she was a woman ? Beautiful? Had a crush on her? The only thing he did good was take the girl over afterwards.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Persi and Deep
Hubert - mary basically "chated" on him... its cool that she tells the truth but its still a bitch move, she could just swim over there lol
Mary's Mother - its fine if she doenst wanna get involved since its non of her business pretty much
Simbad - yes, i know... that guy is like a perv but she could always say no...
Mary - she could've said no but she did the wrong thing imo
John - fuck john

1) Simbad. What a fucking legend. He’s obviously a shrewd negotiator.

2) John. He stole that guy’s girlfriend, pretty big legend, but can’t top the Simbad.

3) Mary. She’s a strong independent girl who evidently doesn’t need nobody.

4) Mum. A very just and neutral character in this strong tale about love and deception.

5) Hubert. Got his gf stolen twice; what a bitch.

1. /
2. /
3. /
4. Hubert, Yes I know, he threw his girlfriend away, wich is total bullsh*t, but I'd still say he behaved the best, because it's a normal reaction and most people would react like that.
5. Mary, because she went full prostitute.
John, because he stole someones Girlfriend and hurt a guy.
Mother, because she didn't help her beloved daughter, even though she was asked to.
Simbad, because he's generally a perverted asshole (many can agree).

I think everyone should feel guilty. Every single one of them did something bad, but I chose Hubert to be #4 because his reaction is the most understandable.

1. /
2. /
3. /
4. Hubert, Yes I know, he threw his girlfriend away, wich is total bullsh*t, but I'd still say he behaved the best, because it's a normal reaction and most people would react like that.
5. Mary, because she went full prostitute.
John, because he stole someones Girlfriend and hurt a guy.
Mother, because she didn't help her beloved daughter, even though she was asked to.
Simbad, because he's generally a perverted asshole (many can agree).

So you liked Hubert the most and you think the rest behaved equally bad, making Hubert number one and everyone else number two?

Users who are viewing this thread