Completed [JB] Removal of Unpopular Maps (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semicolon Backslash

Mapper
Contributor
Hi, over the years we've added some new maps and some seem to be disliked off the bat and forgotten, complex and servilive are two such maps.

jb_complex_b6

This is a map I used to be a fan of however as I've played the map more its shortcomings become much more apparent.

Problems with the map

Rebelling

The biggest issue that I haven't seen talked about in any of complex's previous removal suggestion is how garbage the map is to rebel on. The map has three ammo spots and one "mega secret". The ammo spot with the no homgineer is pathetic, it drops a non respawning small ammopack despite taking a decent amount of time to get to and being a fairly noisy and open ammospot. The singular armory entrance by theater is fine enough although I've seen a lot of people miss it. The final ammospot is a small underground weapon stash with no indication as to where it would be, but the biggest sin that spot completes is that when you leave it you are brought right into the main cell area, next to armory. The "mega secret" is actually just a few seconds of crits that will teleport you next to armory once you get it, it doesn't even give you ammo and is probably the most underwhelming secret in jailbreak period.

Minigames
The map is mostly just your typical copy/paste jailbreak minigames (fall game, 9square, crush game, sweeper. When your map's signature game is a variation of awp dodge (which an objectively better version is on carcerem), you need a better game lineup. Many of the maps games also suffer from not being restartable while still allowing reds to press the start/stop buttons, this is most prevelent on the sweeper. The disco music is also barely audible which makes me sad...

Visuals

There hasn't been much to say here that hasn't been said already, complex is bland and it's hdr while not as bad as a certain other map we have here gives the fences and weapons an ugly white sheen

TLDR

Complex was added because it was a functional map in a time where we didn't have a lot of those, but now I think being just functional shouldn't be what gets you a spot on rotation, this map serves no purpose other than to be rtv'd so people can go back to hop and mlcastle faster. It should be noted that despite being in rotation for 3 years the map is still only the 30th most played map on panda which is pathetic.

complex.gif

Map Addition Thread
Replace Complex with Quake by Human
Remove Complex by dr. Meatloaf
Remove Complex by Ian

jb_servilive_hw_v1c

Servilive is a weird map in terms of history, what started out as a weird hispanic jailbreak map with stolen games, eventually got translated by a bunch of ex-outpost community jb players to create a semi-exclusive map for their (now defunct) jb community. The end result is interesting.

Problems with the map

Minigames

Servilive's minigames are really weird, there's a lot of copy/paste minigames and I don't mean the filler copy/paste (which this map has plenty of) I mean straight up copy/pasted from other jailbreak maps which is just not right. The rest of the minigames are the already addressed filler, or multiple versions of the same game (fall guys and sweeper).

Visuals

I think this screenshot speaks for itself. It should be noted the map also has an improperly set up hdr which causes the map to be really bright.

20230820065232_1.jpg

TLDR

The map is just an ugly filler map with meh minigames, it's not really outstanding in any way. It's been in rotation for roughly 2 years and is ranked 41st on hlstats which is on par with complex.

servilive.gif

Map Addition Thread

Both of these maps tend to be rtv bait so people can return to their beloved hop, mlcastle, supermario loop faster, and if the server does manage to stick on them it usually bleeds players on both. Removing both of these maps would be a benefit to the server

Reactions: Zee
Complex is such an irredeemable map, it’s survival to this long is such a testament to how nostalgia can affect votes

the map cannot survive a couple rounds without RTVing and the only memory of that map most regulars can recall is being MFKed in it.

• Angry
Reactions: salguod
I don't really care about the fate of complex, but I genuinely believe servilive is one of those C-tier maps that gets a lot of flack that I don't really get. The objective points made are of course true but I think it's set up fine enough and has a decent variety of games to play, as well as having enough corners and height that rebelling is reasonable (unless if the warden is looking out from soccer I suppose). I'd suggest a lighting fix potentially be applied to it rather than a full-on removal.

Add Volcano to this list
it's a shit map with many ugly as fuck corridors that are too long and too wide and a cell area that makes it impossible to rebel even with the secret cell escape area
With the only minigames being the usual ones that you can find in other maps I don't see a redeeming quality other than the secret

Add Volcano to this list
it's a shit map with many ugly as fuck corridors that are too long and too wide and a cell area that makes it impossible to rebel even with the secret cell escape area
With the only minigames being the usual ones that you can find in other maps I don't see a redeeming quality other than the secret
Its pretty easy to rebel on.
Corridors are big enough so there is still some place to possibly dodge projectiles/escape reds
Has decent minigames (please rework Arena and Disco those are actually horrid)
Cool secret
You can suicide in the big volcano
Insta kill Climb

Milk

Complex is so generic and bland-looking + no unique minigames which = nothing about the map stands out.

Servilive I will admit however is alright, far more fun than Complex and has a more unique layout.

To add, really one of the only things I liked about servile was that the duel was pretty interesting, but not much else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread