Pending [JB] Hide Red Kills From Kill Feed (1 Viewer)

Hide red kills from killfeed?

• yes

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • no

Votes: 13 37.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

crubf

Gameserver Admin
Staff member
Gameserver Admin
Good morning everyone, it's been brought to my attention through completely unrelated conversation that there exists an option to disable red actions from displaying in the kill feed:
1687431335801.png

The current meta for being a rebeller involves basically sacrificing your life to kill the warden. If you kill a normal guard it immediately alerts the rest of the blues that you are an active rebeller and puts them on-guard, primarily because of the killfeed that is practically impossible to not notice pop up, and sometimes you have to kill normal guards when they randomly catch you while roaming. Disabling the killfeed for reds provides cover and opens an avenue for reds who prefer to slowly and methodically pick apart the guard team and make the warden more vulnerable. Rebeller status will still pop up in chat so it won't be impossible to tell who is rebelling.

Not fully sure how to sell this tbh but I hope this thread will provide proper discussion into whether this should be a feature we implement.

to clarify, blue kills will still show up normally if this passes.

Ways to make rebelling a little easier and (theoretically) make the guards pay attention more? Count me in.

Can anyone even really think of a downside to this lol

While I see both positives and negatives in this idea, I personally think it's an okay idea. Let me explain.

I have several things to say:
Guards:
+ From the Guard's standpoint it'd force them to pay more attention to their surroundings, instead of only relying on the killfeed, chat (for the "[TFJail] x has rebelled." message) and TAB menu.
- If you have a blue that has chat disabled for whatever reason (maybe they're streaming and rather not have (racial) slurs appear), you wouldn't see the "someone has rebelled" message, and the killfeed wouldn't be there to tell you "hey, someone's died!". The only thing you'd have is audio, visuals and the hud uptop (the row all the way above your screen that shows how many blues and reds are still alive.)

Prisoners:
+ Disabling the red killfeed would enable the prisoners to more silently take out a line of blues. If you were an experienced spy for example and you were to sneak behind the blues unnoticed, it'd take them a few seconds more to figure out what just happened. Rebelling this way would definitely be easier if you'd have a guard team that would be completely focused on the killfeed.
- The "x has rebelled" message wouldn't give any clarity anymore. It now can mean anything, from a sniper getting ammo to a scout hitting a blue with a ball. It isn't paired with a kill. I mean they're still KOS, but there's loss of infirmation on both sides. Plus, if multiple reds start rebelling, (somehow coordinated) and they want to kill one specific target (because that person is found annoying or smth) then they'd have to use TAB to find out wether that person died or not.

Yeah idk or you guys can do anything with this long ahh post but here ya go anyway.
TL;DR:
Guards need to pay more attention to surroundings, they can't rely on the killfeed.
Prisoners can take out guards more silently, but when "x has rebelled" pops up it doesn't mean that a red has killed a blue.

While I see both positives and negatives in this idea, I personally think it's an okay idea. Let me explain.

I have several things to say:
Guards:
+ From the Guard's standpoint it'd force them to pay more attention to their surroundings, instead of only relying on the killfeed, chat (for the "[TFJail] x has rebelled." message) and TAB menu.
- If you have a blue that has chat disabled for whatever reason (maybe they're streaming and rather not have (racial) slurs appear), you wouldn't see the "someone has rebelled" message, and the killfeed wouldn't be there to tell you "hey, someone's died!". The only thing you'd have is audio, visuals and the hud uptop (the row all the way above your screen that shows how many blues and reds are still alive.)

Prisoners:
+ Disabling the red killfeed would enable the prisoners to more silently take out a line of blues. If you were an experienced spy for example and you were to sneak behind the blues unnoticed, it'd take them a few seconds more to figure out what just happened. Rebelling this way would definitely be easier if you'd have a guard team that would be completely focused on the killfeed.
- The "x has rebelled" message wouldn't give any clarity anymore. It now can mean anything, from a sniper getting ammo to a scout hitting a blue with a ball. It isn't paired with a kill. I mean they're still KOS, but there's loss of infirmation on both sides. Plus, if multiple reds start rebelling, (somehow coordinated) and they want to kill one specific target (because that person is found annoying or smth) then they'd have to use TAB to find out wether that person died or not.

Yeah idk or you guys can do anything with this long ahh post but here ya go anyway.
TL;DR:
Guards need to pay more attention to surroundings, they can't rely on the killfeed.
Prisoners can take out guards more silently, but when "x has rebelled" pops up it doesn't mean that a red has killed a blue.
Don't really have an opinion on it to be honest, but I'll go for no for now.

@troll
Appreciate the response, figured I might as well address this:

"- If you have a blue that has chat disabled for whatever reason (maybe they're streaming and rather not have (racial) slurs appear), you wouldn't see the "someone has rebelled" message, and the killfeed wouldn't be there to tell you "hey, someone's died!". The only thing you'd have is audio, visuals and the hud uptop (the row all the way above your screen that shows how many blues and reds are still alive.)"

If the negative of this feature is it impairs people who disable social and communicative aspects of the game in a game mode that is entirely based on being social and providing communication to others, I don't seem to understand how it's really a negative to begin with. It's similar to complaining how jailbreak is unplayable to players who have voice disabled - they are free to enable it to help themselves play jailbreak and disable it again outside of jb.

With lower player counts it's still possible to tell if someone is rebelling when they are not a part of the group either. You seem to also understand the obtuseness of this negative by opening it with "for whatever reason."

"- The "x has rebelled" message wouldn't give any clarity anymore."
It currently doesn't and relies on being able to identify what it could mean based on context - if the rebeller status is applied to someone not within a group, they're probably armed. If it's applied to someone within a group, you...should kill them.

"Plus, if multiple reds start rebelling, (somehow coordinated) and they want to kill one specific target (because that person is found annoying or smth) then they'd have to use TAB to find out wether that person died or not."
As addressed in the OP, blue kills will still show up in the killfeed as normal.

edit: or you mean if the target is a blue and theyre killed? you could probably tell when they're killed if they make a death scream or their body is on the ground.

Wouldn’t this effect ff all day killing is kos?
Likely, yes.

Reactions: hehe troll
this actually would be a good change, Guards already have massive advantages on the reds on nearly every map and not to mention crits, They’re already incentivized to play so passively it’s honestly sometimes frustrating.

I think this could nudge blu team that are not the Warden to be active and aware of their surroundings.

If only we could get a Miami Police Radio in every map :azbaby:

Reactions: hehe troll
I think this is good mainly because it requires blus to pay more attention to the game based on the amount of blus are near them and if theres a red missing.

why did they even remove the disguise on kill
I don't get it
Some bug got fixed relating to disguises in a previous TF2 patch and that somehow broke the YER for reds, I still have no clue what thing broke in the plugin.

1688469242632.png

Created task

#280 Remove Red Killfeed on Jailbreak​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread