Completed [Jailbreak] Add ba_mariopartyextended_v4 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nergal Nergalton

Gameserver Admin
Staff member
Gameserver Admin
Donator
Okay, so I know I said to myself I wasn't going to make anymore suggestions, but I decided to suggest just one more map.

This time, however, the suggestion thread is significantly different from my other map suggestions. With the other ones, I just suggested them based on how they look visually, and didn't take any time to go through the map and see if the map functions. This time, however, I have taken the time to actually go through the map and check out all the minigames and make sure the map functions well, and provide a detailed list of the minigames and what they're about, as well as provide screenshots. I actually spent almost three hours going through the map, getting the screenshots, and creating this thread.

This map --- ba_mariopartyextended_b4 --- is probably the most unique Jailbreak map I have seen in terms of minigames, and even though there aren't as many as other maps, I do genuinely think it would be a decent addition to the map rotation (can't wait for the pitchforks and flames BTW). The map is Mario Party themed, as the map name suggests, and most of its minigames are themed around various minigames found throughout the Mario Party series, primarily the first three Mario Parties (the N64 ones).

hl2 2022-05-10 19-14-21-902.jpg

View of the main cell area.
hl2 2022-05-10 20-30-30-590.jpg

The armory. Hitting the ? blocks shown in the image provides ammo. However, there are no health packs, meaning it will have to be altered in way to either have a dispenser or include health packs.
hl2 2022-05-10 20-30-45-330.jpg

Button in armory to open cells.

hl2 2022-05-10 20-28-40-651.jpg

This map's medic...yeah. This is probably going to be the biggest problem of this map. It heals you, yes...but there are Thwomps above that have a random chance of coming down and crushing you when you
step onto one of the three medic areas (shown in the image above). This will make it particularly difficult for people to heal. The only solution to this I can think of is to someone disable the Thwomps, or at the very least find a way to make it so that the Thwomps can't harm players.
hl2 2022-05-10 20-16-25-925.jpg

hl2 2022-05-10 19-14-35-566.jpg

What the cells look like, open and closed. The cells open from the bottom and drop REDs down, regular cell commands would likely be incompatible here. When the warden says to AFK freeze and doesn't say anything else before the cells break open and the REDs fall, the REDs should stay AFK when they hit the ground. "Hugging and/or facing the back wall" commands would likely not work here do to this map's unique cell mechanics.
hl2 2022-05-10 19-53-06-990.jpg

The area REDs are transported to upon exiting a minigame, or entering and exiting the two main areas (the second main area is an outside grassy field). BLUs teleport outside this castle, where from there they can hit the Mushroom button (seen right of the castle door in this image) to open the door.
hl2 2022-05-10 20-32-05-877.jpg

Ammo secret that I don't know how to get to.
hl2 2022-05-10 19-53-30-497.jpg

A vent to the armory. Looking at the first image of this thread (the view of the cells), the vent is located on the left side of the stairs coming down from the cells.
hl2 2022-05-10 19-53-09-125.jpg

The pipe to the outside area.

THE MINIGAMES:

PLATFORM PERIL: This minigame functions extremely similarly to Steady Pace. REDs must jump from platform to platform,
which will slowly fall into the abyss one after the next, from start to finish, while avoiding various obstacles. This
one functions as should.

HEXAGON HEAT: The game functions mostly like the version found on the revamped Mlcastle, however the BLUs can choose
which square is the safe one. Originally when I first saw that BLUs have control over which square stays up, I wrote this
off as a minigame that would probably need to be banned, a la Four Corners on Volcano, Jojo on Lunapark, and Hide and Go
Boom on Casuarina, due to being a BLU-controlled minigame, but when I stopped to think about it, it's more like Jump Game
on the Super Mario map, where all REDs have to dodge something activated by the warden, unlike the other three banned
minigames where BLUs can choose which REDs die (basically, it's like a BLU-controlled Crush Game). If this map does get
added, I'll leave it up to the admins to decide whether this minigame should be allowed or not. There is a red button (as
shown in the image) that can open and close the door as well as extended and retract the platform leading to the door.
Minigame works fine.

MARIO SAYS: In this one, REDs stand on platforms, with two buttons in front of them (A and B). There are three Marios,
and they will raise either an A or B flag. REDs must hit the correct button, otherwise their platform will sink into the
water and they will die. As the game progresses, the time given to hit the buttons becomes progressively shorter, giving
less room for error. The Marios do not do any fakeouts as far as I'm aware. CAN ONLY BE DONE WITH MAX 15 REDS. Minigame
works fine.

SHOCK DROP OR ROLL: REDs must go onto a giant cylinder (shown in the image in the middle) -- from there, BLUs can control
which direction the cylinder rolls. REDs must keep on the cylinder as best they can without falling into the pit below.
This one is in the same category as Hexagon Heat -- a BLU-controlled minigame, but this one also targets all REDs, so
favoritism shouldn't be an issue. Minigame works as should. There is an airship above the minigame, but this is purely
cosmetic.

BOB-OMB COUNTING: REDs must examine an arena full of Bob-ombs and count how many they think are in the arena. REDs are
stationed in front of (what I will call) counting stations, where they must hit the up button to increase the number
shown by 1, and hit the down button to decrease the number shown by 1. Minimum number they can choose is 20, while the max
is 30. After 20 seconds, winners who have guessed the right amount will be transported into the arena, while the losers
are transported into a small area just down past the counting area, against the wall. CAN BE DONE WITH 10 MAX. Minigame
works fine.

TOTEM POLE POUND: A game for a max of 4 REDs. The REDs choose one of four totem pole warp areas, and when the minigame is
started, they are teleported on top of a totem pole that they must break with their melees. The first person to finish is
teleported on top of a kill area where the losers are teleported into; the winner can either choose one of three methods
to kill the REDs, or save them and teleport them out (the button to teleport them out is the leftmost button, with the S
on it). Minigame works as should.

FOUR CORNERS: Functions exactly like other Four Corners, this one doesn't need an explanation.

SHOOTING RANGE: Max of 4 REDs for this one as well. REDs must shoot balls at a nine-piece image covered by bricks, using
the balls to reveal pieces of the image. If there are too many balls in the area, there is a red button to the right that
allows REDs to clear the balls in their area. Minigame works well; getting the top and middle pieces however requires you
to crouch walk and hit the ball in a way that you doing so from the bottom so it flies higher.

DODGEBALL: REDs must whack a dodgeball around and kill each other with it. Basically soccer with bigger but slower ball.
The red button in the BLU area to stop the minigame teleports BLUs and REDs outside the minigame.

OBBY: You think it's just like every other Obby right? Kinda...but also kinda not.

With this one, there is a choice of four different obstacle courses (yes, FOUR) that the BLUs can choose to make the REDs
do. But otherwise, they all function like a typical Jailbreak obby should -- however, with this one, the first three REDs
to finish get teleported to a podium representing the place they took (a la the revamped Mlcastle's Mario Kart), while
all other REDs get teleported into a separate area (the loser area, as I shall call it). Works as should.

BALLOON GAME: This is unfortunately one that, for the life of me, I cannot seem to figure out what to do here...yeah,
I tried really hard to figure it out but just couldn't. Music plays when you hit the green button so it TECHNICALLY
functions, but I can't figure out what you're supposed to do in this minigame.

CAKE: Although I couldn't initially figure out what this one was, I realized it is most likely this map's Arena. And, as
such, this one needs no explanation, because everyone should know how Arena functions.

In conclusion: This will definitely be the last map I'll recommend for a while regardless of if this gets put in the map rotation or not, however, I do pride myself in this time putting in a great amount of effort into providing a more detailed look and explanation of this map than my other map suggestions where I was mostly "I think this map looks cool, what do you guy think?" and nothing more than that. So, give me your guys opinions on this map.

Link to the map so you guys can download it: https://gamebanana.com/mods/74652

NOTE: Here is a Mega folder containing the screenshots I couldn't add due to file limitions: https://mega.nz/folder/UWARVY6Q#qiG9VDmdopbgB9PhfIgl_w

The armory. Hitting the ? blocks shown in the image provides ammo. However, there are no health packs, meaning it will have to be altered in way to either have a dispenser or include health packs.

the Thwomps, or at the very least find a way to make it so that the Thwomps can't harm players.
These can be easily fixed via the stripper:source plugin, and probably would be upon the maps addition if it were added.

I am a bit iffy on having 3 mario maps but this one at least has many distinct things about it

However, there are no health packs, meaning it will have to be altered in way to either have a dispenser or include health packs.
Quake doesnt have health packs and its played regularly, its not really a big deal IMO.
I'd rather preserve the original map than change it for no real reason.
But yeah the thwomps are dumb and should go lol.

These can be easily fixed via the stripper:source plugin, and probably would be upon the maps addition if it were added.

I am a bit iffy on having 3 mario maps but this one at least has many distinct things about it
Supermario hardly feels like a mario map to me, so honeslty seeing another one that is kinda in the style of the old ML castle or even somewhat like Refurbished would be nice

The melons in cell area are solid.
Because of that I vote no >:^(

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. Meatloaf
Actually, one positive I just realized is that the cells opening from beneath means AFK players can’t stay in the cells, meaning it’ll be much easier to sniff out AFKs.

Reactions: Dr. Meatloaf

Just an update on this, turns out I had to make a couple more changes than just fixing the medical thwomps.

Namely I noticed some problems with how the map had very few ways to get ammo, all of the ways were also in cell area, so I added an extra ammopack here

20220514090329_1.jpg

You have to do a short parkour challenge to get to it so I think it should be fairly balanced, although I can move it further along the course if need be.

Also there were two of these castles in the map, reds get teleported here when leaving minigame areas. The problem is that they had a door on them making it impossible to escape, rebellers would be unable to traverse the map as they would get stuck in these castles, So I had to remove the doors.
20220514090152_1.jpg

In other fixes, I've rigged the cell doors so that they can be compatible with the jb plugin, lowered the entity count of the map by over 200 so that crashes should be very rare, and I had to remove collisions on the melons to make sure no one could possibly get stuck on them, only downside now is that they can't be hit but only moved via +use. I also decided to keep one of the medical thwomps just in case a warden wanted to use him for a minigame.

I didn't add healthpacks to armory since I've already made quite a few major changes, but if the people want them I have no problem with adding it later down the line.

I've attached the config file in case you want to look at it for whatever reason, if you feel like any changes I've made were too big feel free to let me know.

Attachments

• config.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 67
Can we make sure Shock, Drop, and Roll works? There's a classic JB map that has it, but it's notoriously buggy and tends to just kill everyone.

Otherwise, I would echo Semi's concern that there are already multiple Mario maps on jailbreak (Supermario, Mlcastle classic and modern (if we still have both)). It looks like a solid map but it thematic is too similar to a lot of maps we already have.

Can we make sure Shock, Drop, and Roll works? There's a classic JB map that has it, but it's notoriously buggy and tends to just kill everyone.

Otherwise, I would echo Semi's concern that there are already multiple Mario maps on jailbreak (Supermario, Mlcastle classic and modern (if we still have both)). It looks like a solid map but it thematic is too similar to a lot of maps we already have.
I tested it, it should work fine.

Loki brought up a good point in that Supermario doesn't actually feel like a Mario map much, it has a somewhat Mario-style to it but none of the minigames are really Mario-themed, they're all games found on other, non-Mario themed Jailbreak maps (except maybe Pipe Game, but even then it's also on 8Bit).

The refurbished version of Mlcastle replaced the old one, the old one is no longer in rotation. The only reason we have two versions of Hopjb and Famous is because the old versions of both maps are different enough in both style and some minigames that it feels alright to have two versions, the refurbished version of Mlcastle is an almost-straight upgrade of Mlcastle with the only minigame being outright replaced being Bowling (and I don't think people would want the old version back just for Bowling).

As well, I should also bring up that Mariopartyextended is the only other Mario-themed Jailbreak map in existence besides Mlcastle and Supermario. I actually think it would be kinda cool to make a trilogy of Mario-themed Jailberak maps, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread