How do i deal with toxic players (1 Viewer)

Brick

I can't stand players who play the game just to make other people mad, and since the duel server hasn't been visited by an admin for like a full week, these player can run amok without having to worry about any punishments. I find myself increasingly frustrated by my inability to do anything about it.

So does anyone have a suggestion for dealing with these players in-game?

Everyone is different and sadly toxic players thrive in every community, but here are a few of my suggestions;

1. Try to ignore/ block/ mute the toxic individual ( I know this maybe hard for some and even look for retaliation as an answer, but that doesn't/ mostly doesn't work; some toxic individual that are doing it purposely are for doing it because it's an incarnation of them/ they are having not the best day/ they are seeking attention or for other reasons and it's best not to escalate, provoke, or aid their ego or toxic self).
2. Surround yourself other individuals that you like/ can stand to take away your attention ( the best way to counter toxic to most people and though maybe hard if you're not that good socially/ have that many friends to play with; to counter act toxicity it's best to support others and divert your attention from the toxic individual(s) ).
3. Take a breather ( not necessarily, "rage quit or the flight response" but rather just going to another server for a bit or better yet unplug and try to keep your mind occupied with hobbies and/or others).
4. Socialization/ Venting; it can help but it can also fuel it depending on the person you talk to/ vent to ( I'm always here if you want to just get to know each other, talk about random things, "bored", or want to vent out your problems though sadly I can't do anything besides hearing and trying to cheer you up mentally/ emotionally).
5. Try to report/ get rid of them ( not in a "witch- hunt" way, but just minimalizing their impact on the server and as you state it may not be the best solution).

Just one last ideology that I tend to keep in mind to combat toxic players/ toxic environments; Toxic players are widespread, but it's what you say and do that matters and NOT WHAT THEY SAY OR DO. It's best not to provoke/ encourage them as if they make you think, do, or act a certain way you lose as they control your action and only you should be able to control yourself. Don't ever let anyone control who you are or how you act.

I hope this was somewhat helpful @Brick. Thanks for reading.

1. Try to ignore/ block/ mute the toxic individual

You can easily do this with the built in mute system in tf2 you can just mute them and it wont show any messages or wont hear in game

Reactions: Brick
@Jinx I know how the mute button works, but i don't like to mute people because then i can't hear what they're saying, and if they go after anyone else, like friends or players who know how to play normally.

You know what i mean?

@husky 4! thx :D, don't know how long that took you but thats fucking amazing!

I usually just silence them :B1:

I don't know why Duel spawns so much toxicity. Every time when I play on duel for more than 15 minutes I get a really bad feeling that feels like a mix of anger, toxicity and defeat. There are a couple of things that I don't like about duel, namely the anti-friendly behavior by some people (even though it's a goofy community server with rtd and such?), certain phases of the game where everyone goes sniper and camps inside of their spawn, and the toxicity that usually ensues after these things.

I'm pretty sad that Duel isn't the goofy server with friendly players and fun endeavors that I wanted it to be, but what are you gonna do. I just advise not going on duel unless there's people you know that are nice, it's what I'm doing.

• Informative
Reactions: Brick and Chae
Highly competitive servers attract toxic players full of pride. Like most gamers we all like to think we are the best but some take it too far. Maybe just report them and mute them using ingame tf2 pause menu thing.

It's a true shame such rude people visit the duel servers. It truly saddens me. I just kill them and make them mad, clearly that's a great solution to the problem.

Also
I'm pretty sad that Duel isn't the goofy server with friendly players and fun endeavors that I wanted it to be [...]
1549341728030.png

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Je Hooft
Yes but i'm bad :(
Noticed this thread and thought I'd add my own two cents. Unfortunately community servers are often under gatekeeping by the regular players, and most often with those with a high score or a lot of time invested on the server. I'll admit I am not innocent of this myself but it's mainly an immaturity thing. I haven't been that toxic in years.

I find when trying to join a new community server to become a regular that you're often viewed as somewhat of a threat to lets say the "ecosystem" that's currently in place with the regulars - they want to keep everything as is basically. There's no better advice I can really give you other than to grind it out. It's probably not that you're bad at the game, its just that these regulars likely have a shitload more hours than you + experience with the map. You'll be shat on for a while, sure, but if you persist without giving them what they want: your rage/attention then not only will you get better at the game but you'll get to become that regular.

It's exactly how I started on community servers, including panda servers. They're literally sizing you up and seeing whether or not you'll give in or take the hits and push on. On a positive note, I don't think there's a better way to improve than to get beaten continuously, and you might be pleasantly surprised to find yourself rolling them after a while ;)

• In Love
Reactions: Brick and ekin
Noticed this thread and thought I'd add my own two cents. Unfortunately community servers are often under gatekeeping by the regular players, and most often with those with a high score or a lot of time invested on the server. I'll admit I am not innocent of this myself but it's mainly an immaturity thing. I haven't been that toxic in years.

I find when trying to join a new community server to become a regular that you're often viewed as somewhat of a threat to lets say the "ecosystem" that's currently in place with the regulars - they want to keep everything as is basically. There's no better advice I can really give you other than to grind it out. It's probably not that you're bad at the game, its just that these regulars likely have a shitload more hours than you + experience with the map. You'll be shat on for a while, sure, but if you persist without giving them what they want: your rage/attention then not only will you get better at the game but you'll get to become that regular.

It's exactly how I started on community servers, including panda servers. They're literally sizing you up and seeing whether or not you'll give in or take the hits and push on. On a positive note, I don't think there's a better way to improve than to get beaten continuously, and you might be pleasantly surprised to find yourself rolling them after a while ;)
Thanks for the advice, but i am a regular on dm_duel and the toxic players are mostly come and go. i have no problem with the other regulars even if they are way better than me ;D

Thanks for the advice, but i am a regular on dm_duel and the toxic players are mostly come and go. i have no problem with the other regulars even if they are way better than me ;D
Should be even less of a problem to deal with then in that case. You probably have plenty of friends on duel, toxic players can rarely say much when they're getting rekt lol. If you can't do it alone then do it with a few friends.

I remember when I first started playing on #18 the regulars there could get pretty sweaty and if I had a few friends with me things got fun :B1:.

Users who are viewing this thread