Completed Gameserver Rule Revisiting (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furken

Gameserver Admin
Staff member
Gameserver Admin
Donator

Recently I've been going through the Gameserver Rules to be familiar again with the way we moderate and handle certain situations on our designated servers and I found a phrase that is certainly not well written and may lead to avoid being punished while using our services.

The current rule I have in mind and want to revisit is

3) Rules of play:

g) Threatening Panda Community staff or infrastructure

Threatening either Panda-Community staff or its infrastructure will result in a permanent ban. This includes denial of service threats or other 'real-life' threats (i.e. murder, rape).

At first you might think this rule is already well established and needs no further change since EvoWarrior5 already covered everything that needs to be addressed, but with time we need the occasional rework.
Currently only our IP, staff and infrastructure falls under this protection, and my proposal is to attach regular players to this rule as well since they are more likely to receive these threats which under the current rule is not considered nor mentioned and should have been attached from the start.

So my suggestion is to change the current rule from

Threatening either Panda-Community staff or its infrastructure will result in a permanent ban. This includes denial of service threats or other 'real-life' threats (i.e. murder, rape).

to

Threatening either Panda-Community staff, infrastructure or players will result in a permanent ban. This includes denial of service threats or other 'real-life' threats (i.e. murder, rape).

I genuinely want to know what you guys think about this and because of that I attached a poll that goes on for 7 days.

To be fair, I've enforced this before under the pretext of it being against rule 2a:

2) Communication rules:

a) Offensive language

You may not use any offensive language, which includes insults; excessive raging; disrespecting admins or other players or provoking them; or any kind of discrimination. Racism is strictly forbidden.

As, well, I believe threatening a player could be considered something quite offensive and (most times) it's a byproduct of raging. However, that being said, I don't see why we wouldn't strive to cover these particular cases, if they are happening, by further specifying a rule with an edit. Whether that'd be added to either rule 3g or rule 2a, I really don't mind.

• Agree
Reactions: Zee and Furken
Although I also generally punish in accordance with An0n for the type of situation.

I think it would be nice to have a clear written rule that defines what the punishment is, threatening players irl is just as bad as doing it to admins except they cannot permaban for it.

• Dislike
Reactions: RexBG
Although I also generally punish in accordance with An0n for the type of situation.

I think it would be nice to have a clear written rule that defines what the punishment is, threatening players irl is just as bad as doing it to admins except they cannot permaban for it.
And I feel like when a player reports it, only a temporary ban gets placed ?

To be fair, I've enforced this before under the pretext of it being against rule 2a:

2) Communication rules:

a) Offensive language

You may not use any offensive language, which includes insults; excessive raging; disrespecting admins or other players or provoking them; or any kind of discrimination. Racism is strictly forbidden.

As, well, I believe threatening a player could be considered something quite offensive and (most times) it's a byproduct of raging. However, that being said, I don't see why we wouldn't strive to cover these particular cases, if they are happening, by further specifying a rule with an edit. Whether that'd be added to either rule 3g or rule 2a, I really don't mind.
Adding one or the other wouldn't yield equivalent results though.

Including all players into rule 3g) will make the punishment for any serious threat of murder or rape a permanent ban instead of a general offensive language stacking punishment as is warranted by breaking 2a).

And the distinction IS important here; serious real life threats of murder or rape combined with intent and implied ability to carry out such a threat can cause SERIOUS discomfort for the receiving party. This is much worse than your average 'kys' or similar that is covered by 2a). People that subject their fellow players to actual threat of murder can be permanently fucked off for all I care.

Reactions: Bambi and Flynt
I've been meaning to change the wording of this rule so there is no misunderstanding. But for me including doxing into the example section was most important.
In certain cases, doxing is not illegal depending on how the source is obtained. However, depending on a server's ToS (which is similar to general rules here) , can result in a ban. In this case it is a permanent ban.

So if it's not clear: Threatening to DDoS, dox, murder & rape(real-life threats) either the admins, players and server(Anything part of panda's network) will result in a permanent ban.
This is appealable as there was a discussion 2 years back about removing the irreversible punishment. If you guys wish to reverse that, please make another suggestion. I'll be able to pull up that thread concerning this.

I've made the changes necessary to complete this suggestion. 3 words were added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread