Declined [FORUM] Rule Suggestion (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberMedicFully

Donator
Contributor
Hi, as we all know, there are people who are voting for things on gamemodes they are not even playing or are being active on.
My suggestion is to not allow anyone that isnt playing or is active on the server to vote for their suggestion.
If they vote anyway, we would simply ignore their vote.

I mean, who is going to be actively enforcing who should vote?
The Admins that are signed to the servers..?
It's obviously dumb that for example, that deathrun players or jailbreak players that have NO clue about FF2 or other gamemodes they are not even playing or being active on are voting for something that is supposed to be removed or implemented to the server?

My suggestion is to not allow anyone that isnt playing or is active on the server to vote for their suggestion.
I'm not necessarily against this but I do ask what would we define as active and inactive and when do you earn the right to vote for the server?

would it be like applying for admin were you need a specific amount of time played on the specific server or something else?

also how would we deal with players who might be taking a break from TF2 but still check the forums and want to vote since they might not be active on the server?

This is extremely hard to pinpoint especially since people don’t need to link their steam to the forums. What’s even worse in some cases is it may end up nullifying a vote of someone who doesn’t have a linked steam, and doesn’t make a big footprint, it feels to me that gauging someone as active or inactive needs to be extremely specific in its execution, or this suggestion will end up creating tons of inconsistencies in the future, and confusion. Also this forces all voted to be public which directly influences voting patterns. It is unfortunate that votes are skewed by players that don’t play your server, but I do not believe this addition will function effectively and efficiently, in the end this just narrows down the pool of votes. If you really want a suggestion passed, get your community on the forums, often times I see very few players ingame who have a forum account they use.

I also have something I forgot to add; I really don't think that full admins should be expected to do full background inspections on every voter in a poll (most times it is just 1 full per server), especially when activity comes into play, because to effectively do this, all steam accounts involved in the vote need to be plugged into HLStats to retrieve sessions, and on some larger votes that is 40+ people that would be in need of a background check.

It's obviously dumb that for example, that deathrun players or jailbreak players that have NO clue about FF2 or other gamemodes they are not even playing or being active on are voting for something that is supposed to be removed or implemented to the server?
Ok let’s do an experiment so you can see how impossible this is to enforce.
3F2E967F-F579-4C67-9339-DC99E3FF4146.png

Here’s an FF poll. Which of these players are inactive? Does Kevin get a vote? Is he active? Can you even be sure who some of these people are? Please compile a list of who here is active vs inactive and on what criteria. Then in the process of doing so you can understand how absolutely impossible this is to enforce.

I added a few more exercises for your amusement.
28CC11ED-723E-459D-92B0-C56D902F9918.png

Here’s a VSH poll. Who on this poll is active vs inactive?

B2E9B09B-B00C-4FF6-9BDC-4E23F157BD48.png

Here’s a jb poll with nearly 40 votes. Which players here are active vs inactive? Am I active?

Get back to me in 3 hours once you have these lists finished.

It would be a hassle for the admins to check every single member who voted x thread, let alone more than 10+ of them. I cannot possibly think that Semi (the only full jb admin that can handle jb suggestions) has to check every forum member that has to be "active" and "jb players". Even if you already figure out who is a jb player, you have to take consideration their activity you proposed. Now sure, some full admins are willing to go to the effort into checking but that isn't going to be for everyone.

I agree with Ian said, worse case scenario would be outright denying someones vote which honestly sucks. If this was implemented, am I not allowed to vote anymore simply because I am too busy to play jailbreak? What constitutes as "inactive"? What consitutes as a "gamemode player"? People with x days on server or something? I think the suggestion is trying to fix the problem but ended up with more issues that honestly could've been avoided.

Reactions: ItsNotCalassic
I agree that It can be a huge waste of time, but servers like FF2 are relied on feedback from active players that know what is good or bad for the server, good example the backstab damage suggestion that was made.
How do other players that are not actively in FF2 or not playing it at all have more knowledge in what should get implemented or not than the active players in FF2 that have a good amount of experience in the gamemode?
There are quite a few mixed opinions on this but as how i see it, it can be pretty annoying.

Reactions: Jiji
It is not that it is a bad idea, the suggested remedy has a lot of flaws, maybe a different solution to the problem could exist.

I agree that It can be a huge waste of time, but servers like FF2 are relied on feedback from active players that know what is good or bad for the server, good example the backstab damage suggestion that was made.
How do other players that are not actively in FF2 or not playing it at all have more knowledge in what should get implemented or not than the active players in FF2 that have a good amount of experience in the gamemode?
There are quite a few mixed opinions on this but as how i see it, it can be pretty annoying.

Thing is sometimes an outside perspective is good imo, since in some votes some people are obviously going to be biased and will actively choose to pick their favorite option. While most of the times people who aren't active on the server will not have the same bias and will vote on which is more logical.

Also on the not so active part, what if I'm a regular that suddenly is going through some stuff irl and I'm unable to partake in the playing of the Team fortress 2, is suddenly my opinion not imporant anymore because I'm considered "not active"?

Also on the not so active part, what if I'm a regular that suddenly is going through some stuff irl and I'm unable to partake in the playing of the Team fortress 2, is suddenly my opinion not imporant anymore because I'm considered "not active"?
If you have played on the server long enough, gained enough experience to state your opinion, no it still will be important, I'm mainly focusing on people who actually have played on the server long enough to be able to state their opinions and all.
Its also important for me when they were active and when they have started playing to be able to judge what should get implemented or not, I hope you get where i'm going with this.

If you have played on the server long enough, gained enough experience to state your opinion, no it still will be important, I'm mainly focusing on people who actually have played on the server long enough to be able to state their opinions and all.
Its also important for me when they were active and when they have started playing to be able to judge what should get implemented or not, I hope you get where i'm going with this.
i think the main concern is determining who is active and not. It's gonna cause a lot of issues when admins start to not include votes on people who they themselves think they are active enough to vote. Your whole premise is fantastic but the way to actually enforce it will become an issue.

• Agree
Reactions: UberMedicFully
I’ve noticed nobody responded to my post about whose vote is active or not on example polls. Some of you even thought it that post was dumb :(

That post was very serious. I actually wanted you all to try and see how it goes.

Interesting how the people who want this suggestion are too lazy to do the work that they want to push on others.

I’ve noticed nobody responded to my post about whose vote is active or not on example polls. Some of you even thought it that post was dumb :(

That post was very serious. I actually wanted you all to try and see how it goes.

Interesting how the people who want this suggestion are too lazy to do the work that they want to push on others.
I personally liked the overall point you were going for but the whole "homework" bit is inaccurate since a random player won't fully emulate how an admin would approach a topic. It's also similar to how people put forth, for example, JB suggestions without knowing how to code it - they're not trying to maliciously force the hard work onto someone else, it's an idea they'd like to see put to fruition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread