Visual rocket target indicator for dodgeball (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBotV63

The issue of players without sound being unable to determine whether a rocket is targeting them or not is one that comes up regularly as both a gameplay issue and a point of contention between players and admins.

So I'd like to suggest some kind of visual indicator to help players determine whether they are currently the target.

However I'm not yet certain about how to best display it in so that is clearly visible but not intrusive. Spitball away bois. :kappa:

EDIT: Personally I was thinking along the lines of the center text you see when there is a nuke / an admin makes an announcement displaying something.

Personally I would think that's a bit excessive. It would be distracting because it's in the center, and If it came to you every time it came to you it would spam you.

Fair enough, I just had no idea where else it could go. Ima try a couple things out later.

Pros
I can listen to my hot mixtape, without worrying about stealing. Then again, there are rule-breakers on mic. If there's a command to mute the game, without muting players' mics, hit me up please.

Cons
Players who play without sound are either..
  • Listening to music
  • Talking on discord
  • Using it as an excuse to steal (mostly this)
There's one, simple solution to all of this - turning your sound on. Why come up with a solution that players can do on their own with a push of a button?

Overall, I wouldn't mind klay's idea, but try not to make the text standout? Perhaps, the same color and size as the speed indicator's text? I wouldn't want a large, colorful text flashing across the bottom of my screen 'cause that would be distracting as well.

The problem is, people are complaining about not having any sound / not being able to turn sound on :kappa: Personally I have no use for this.

Yeah I don't think it's necessary tbh but if it doesn't crowd your screen too much I think it's no harm.
Just not something that like pops up or whatever in the corner every time you get a rocket cos that would distract the fuck outta me

Have been wanting this for YEARS seeing as I just cannot and I mean CAN NOT stand the sound of that god-awful beep and have been playing without sound for years.

There's one, simple solution to all of this - turning your sound on. Why come up with a solution that players can do on their own with a push of a button?

Plz no.

How about an optional setting say smth silly like !beepeffect that will simulate the effect of getting shot in fps games? Borders of your screen flashing red for a fraction of a second?

• Agree
Reactions: DeadSworn
Making it optional is a possibility, but then we need a way of letting players know that it exists.

how do players know about !haledmg for instance? probably just a periodic spam in chat isn't it?

A Solution would be to make the current targeted player have an outline glow to him. And is only visible to his own team. No idea how it would work in practice.

:kappa:

A Solution would be to make the current targeted player have an outline glow to him. And is only visible to his own team. No idea how it would work in practice.

:kappa:

wouldn't that require me having to constantly look at my teammates to know wether it is targeting -any- one of them or me?

• Agree
Reactions: TBotV63
How would the player know that it is their rocket unless they're playing in third person? This would only tell the player's teammates that it is not their rocket, but would NOT tell the target player that it IS their rocket.

I think this is a good idea because along with those playing without sound, it would be helpful to the hearing impaired. In addition, sometimes the plugin glitches and there isn't a beep. This could potentially fix that.

My solution: I'm not sure if there's a way to change the player's cursor server-side, but if there is, change the player's cursor color to red when the rocket is targeting them. It would be an obvious indicator that does not add anything to the screen that could obstruct the player's view.

Changing the cursor would be great imo, but can't be achieved serverside :(

How about something similar to the damage indicator when you get shot? This can also tell the player where the rocket is coming from.

Although good luck implementing this if there is no official api for it.

It may be ok for those that are playing with no sound, but for those that play with sound, it can be annoying having something they don't need on the screen, so maybe make also a command to disable it for those that don't want it.

A suggestion about how would it be like, maybe instead of a text, a green symbol like an exclamation point (big enough to notice it) in a top corner of the screen?

EDIT: So each time the rocket is coming to you, that thing appears.

This would be certainly a good solution for players who are playing without sound.
However it most likely would distract many other players.

Personallly I would like to try it out. I do play with sound but hate the noise to be honest.
Would rather listen to music instead...

Maybe you could offer this as an option , everybody can turn on/off with a command line like "!rtd" or "!rtv" ?

Cheers
Booooom

So, what's the decision?
(As the thread is still marked as "pending")

Reactions: Bass
So, this hasn't moved in months (mostly because I'm lazy), but have some potato grade video footage of a thing and then lemme know how terrible it is. As for making an optional command known, probably just spam is the best way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread