Video gaming - What do you miss from the good old times? (1 Viewer)

Maddity

This is kind of a nostalgic thread I made after seeing a similar one on my favourite shop's site.

So my question is: Do you miss anything from the good old times when talking about video gaming, and if yes what is it? (or do you have any good memories/moments from the good old gaming times?)

There are quite a few thing I miss from the good old times.

- Demos. Yes, demos. I loved the idea of playing a small part of the game before I buy it. Demos helped me get an image of the game but they mostly vanished by now.
- LAN Parties. When 6 of us came together at a friend and played 3v3 CS 1.6 and C&C Generals, or 12 of us at school's IT room playing CS, or 4 classes (~80 people) in our school's gym playing MTA. We even had to ask our IT teacher to take the school's server down and load up the MTA server so we could play. We always had one unlucky guy who was swearing because his PC won't work while others were already playing.
- The never-ending trips to friends, with a whole box of floppy disks to get a game from a friend. And the best is that floppy disks were so bad that it had a 50/50 chance that the files get damaged.
- Long hours spent with getting the autoexec and system configs written to get the games working. Because we had to sqeeze out every single KB of RAM to get the games working.
Good ol' DOS.

My family was always late with technology but was catching up sooner or later so in one month I was playing on a Nintendo, and in the next a DOS computer. So I have lots of good old memories from back than but the best ones definitely come from the LAN Parties.

Last edited:
Pokemon
When me and my real life friends was playing Pokemon to gameboy, talking about stuff like how to meet the rare pokemons and stuff like that. Dem feels... ;-;

Super Mario 3
Me and a really good friend used to co-op in this game a lot, supporting each other through the worlds. And i'm not forgetting the annoying water world. Ever.

Conkers Bad Fur Day
One of the best games I can remember to have played back in the old days. Never forgetting the retarded characters and boss fights.

• Funny
Reactions: Kah
Duck hunt
Fuck that dog i played it when i was 5
3d space pinball
when i was at my father i always played that pinball oh the nostalgia

I played quite a few game on a PS2 when I was younger. But I don't really know any memory of a good game that was my childhood. I guess I can say like one or two...

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
This game was awesome, and I recall having problems beating the racing worlds - and I never actually got the 105% done, only about 103%

Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
I did not actually play much of the campaign side, I always liked to mess about with bots on easiest and build stuff (since I thought that was the point of the game).

Super Smash Bros Brawl Melee
Used to play the hell out of this game with my friend and his sister on the gamecube. *crying internally*

• Agree
Reactions: Kodeko and Chillix
Pokemon
No one plays it because people grow out of it and call it a kid's game.. I still play it x3

• Funny
Reactions: Chillix
Lots of games I used to play with my siblings and friends such as some Nintendo 64 games like Mario Party (2, 3 or something), Super Smash Bros, Donkey Kong 64. As for the Gamecube, SSB Melee, Mario party (5 and 7 or something)

Ohhhh boy...

Here are my favorite games from my childhood :

1. Commander Keen episodes 4-6 (DOS) (iD software)
k4.gif

These are some of the earliest games I remember playing on an old Win95 computer. They had everything a 5-year-old would want a game to have: colorful graphics, catchy music and interesting enemies.

You play as Billy Blaze, an 8-year-old boy genius whose newly finished faster-than-light radio picks up a plot by the hostile alien race, Shikadi, to destroy the galaxy. Being the only human who knows about this, keen rushes to save the galaxy in his trusty old Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket.

2. The Ratchet and Clank series (PS2) (Insomniac Games)
Ratchetandclanklogo.png

I was seven when I played R&C1 for the first time. And boy, was it fun to play. I spent dozens of hours playing it over and over again, trying to find every last one of those golden bolts. The best memories, though, come from the multiplayer mode in R&C3.

3. The WipeOut series (PS1) (Psygnosis (Studio Liverpool))
811ea9ffdd.jpg

No, I'm not talking about the cheesy TV series.

These floating racing vehicles were the coolest thing ever! With different speed classes, wide range of weapons and challenging racing tracks, this video game series stole many hours from my life.
The split screen multiplayer is also nice.

My dearest memories of computer technology in general:

1. Being ignorant
I truly miss the times when I was kinda new to Windows. I mean learning all of the basic stuff everybody knows these days, such as uninstalling a program (I thought just removing the desktop icon was enough), keyboard shortcuts (CTRL+C, CTRL+V, etc.), using Windows Movie Maker, etc...

2. Discovering Steam
I can't even describe how I felt when I took my first glimpse at the steam store page. The first game I ever bought on steam is Counter-Strike: Source.
And from that day forward I would be a PC gamer forever.

3. Windows XP
Still remember that iconic startup sound and the Bliss wallpaper? How about the super long file searches with that dog to accompany you? I have so many great memories of Windows XP that I don't even know where to begin with.

4. The Old(-ish) Nokia phones
My first phone with an integrated camera was Nokia 3110c, which I got as a christmas gift in 2007. Most of my friends had Nokia phones too with the same OS
. We used to go out and just film random stuff with the cameras (one of them being an Indiana Jones remake, which I still have somewhere), post them on youtube and later regret & remove them. All the cool kids had the huge 1GB micro SD card in their phones. We stored music, sounds and custom Symbian OS themes on them and shared our stuff with each other via Bluetooth sharing. Oh, and mobile9.com, the unlimited source of free mobile games, can't forget that one.

Insomniac Games
These guys right here made Resistance 2 too. That game was so awesome. *crying internally again*
They fucked up so bad with Resistance 3..

Any game i've ever played
Being unable to look up walkthrough as working stuff out for yourself felt that much more rewarding. For example, good ol' Zelda water temple, hard as shit, but when you finished it without any help, YOU WERE THE HERO OF FUCKING HYRULE. Now its just like "oh man, these bogies got me pinned atm, lemme look up a tutorial on how to beat them"

2. The Ratchet and Clank series (PS2) (Insomniac Games)
You played ratchet: gladiator aswell? :eek: (or deadlocked as it's called in the US)

Nearly the whole Zelda franchise, incredible games. Undoubtedly my favourite series.

Mario 64, and also Sunshine to some extent, amazing industry-changing games.

Pokemon of course, my childhood and still a favourite series. I still play gen I-III on my phone every now and then.

I miss some of the smaller companies that made great games but got bought out - Free Radical, made Timesplitters, Insomniac, Ratchet and Clank was badass (the ps2 ones), Rare of course, Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Have you played to more recent ones? Crack in time and such
Crack in time was the last one I played. The R&C games after that weren't really good in my opinion. The character design was weird and replacing the good storyline with that co-op crap made me burst into tears.

Shogo, Tyrian 2K, Warcraft II and Worms Armageddon.

Every once in a while I install these awesome games and play them for a whole day straight.
The only exception is Worms Armageddon. I play that everytime I don't have internet, or just for fun with some friends...armageddon will always be my one and only game that I won't get bored of.

Crack in time was the last one I played. The R&C games after that weren't really good in my opinion. The character design was weird and replacing the good storyline with that co-op crap made me burst into tears.
Yeah, i was really disappointed as well with the new games, especially the character design, Ratchet looked like he was made out of plastic ;-; but yeah Ratchet and Clank 2 was my favorite.

All the games had a nice little back tracking kinda system like if you couldn't get past a stage on one level, you can go to another, get the right gadget then come back, it was just so perfectly designed, all the levels were so memorable and designed perfectly, the new games, not so much.

• Agree
Reactions: Jayy
R&C 2 was great, I also actually really liked Gladiator, dunno why.

+1 on Worms Armageddon, me and my brothers still use the old PS1 disk we have just because it's such a good multiplayer game.

Need for Speed - Most Wanted .
I still remember the last mission - very hard race against federal police, where I was saved by a policecar which pushed me OUT of the stripes (I didn't see them) xD!

I don't know then if somebody remembers this game, but...
Animal Crossing Wild World. That is still, for me, the best role game I've ever played in my childhood :sadpanda:

Users who are viewing this thread