Completed Updated dm_duel map suggestion (1 Viewer)

Add overworked map by zeprus

• Yes

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@BlackY you are thinking of something else. We are talking about the wooden vertical beams as Zeprus puts it around the sides of the middle arena that just get in the way as they stick out and you can physically hit into them. If I am not mistaken they absorb rocket projectiles too but that might be a wooden post next to the spawn doors can't remember. Anyway you can't jump onto these ones you are perhaps talking about the wood platforms which are fine. I'd just like to rocket jump around without having to avoid these wooden posts.

I was talkin about the beams tho

My opinion has changed about the vertical beams, they are somewhat bothering for rocketjumping, the only thing i like about the beams are the metal/concrete pieces at the bottom like i said:
along that it can be used to jump on other people's head if there is a friendly in a corner.

Is there any way to make the wooden support foundations intangible? This would make it much easier and fun to rocket jump around the middle of the map.

My opinion has changed about the vertical beams, they are somewhat bothering for rocketjumping, the only thing i like about the beams are the metal/concrete pieces at the bottom like i said

I compiled a test version with that change earlier today and it is not as bad as I first thought it would be. In first person you barely notice passing through the beams, only if your camera is at a specific angle. But then the problems begin: In thirdperson, or other people watching you it is very clear that you're almost 30% inside the beam which looks stupid and confusing, on top of that the tiny man rtd could be abused by standing inside a beam.

I have two solutions:
  • The beams could be flatened so both mentioned problems get solved.
  • I could apply clip brushes instead which wouldn't make the beams collisionless but make them smooth so you don't get stuck on them while jumping. You would moreso glide off of them and get pushed into the middle of the area.
Otherwise if you think those problems are no real problems I can apply the change regardless.

I could apply clip brushes instead which wouldn't make the beams collisionless but make them smooth so you don't get stuck on them while jumping. You would moreso glide off of them and get pushed into the middle of the area.
yes pls

Reactions: BlackY
Either flattened or able to be passed through sound best imo.

I compiled a test version with that change earlier today and it is not as bad as I first thought it would be. In first person you barely notice passing through the beams, only if your camera is at a specific angle. But then the problems begin: In thirdperson, or other people watching you it is very clear that you're almost 30% inside the beam which looks stupid and confusing, on top of that the tiny man rtd could be abused by standing inside a beam.

I have two solutions:
  • The beams could be flatened so both mentioned problems get solved.
  • I could apply clip brushes instead which wouldn't make the beams collisionless but make them smooth so you don't get stuck on them while jumping. You would moreso glide off of them and get pushed into the middle of the area.
Otherwise if you think those problems are no real problems I can apply the change regardless.

Idk if its possible or not, but can you make it that like you clip through them when coming from below, and when coming from above for instance when jumping on them, they are solid.

That would be epic.

Wouldn't that cause a lot of confusion for new players to the map and this reworked version?

Wouldn't that cause a lot of confusion for new players to the map and this reworked version?

I guess so, but i don't think they would care if we change it, especially since they are new players

I decided to make some screenshots and a short video to demonstrate how each solution would look.
But first of all, those are the wooden pieces that would be affected by a change:
4Nl9OQm.png

Edit: I forgot to mark the ones next to the spawndoors, but those as well. Basically all diagonal and vertical wooden pieces.

Wooden beams without collision, nothing else changed:
FJ83pOz.png
Hs6UP4m.jpg

Applying clip brushes:
OtDpepZ.png
The clip is here orange for better visualization, in the actual version it would be invisible

Beams flattened by half and without collision:
PNb5f5I.jpg
5dQRnba.jpg

The bottom part can easily be flattened as well, I just decided to not do it for the demonstration
eTLG4Rs.jpg
I can make them less or more flat but the thicker they are the worse the third person view looks.

Idk if its possible or not, but can you make it that like you clip through them when coming from below, and when coming from above for instance when jumping on them, they are solid.

That would be epic.
Not possible without some wacky workaround that I would rather avoid due to various problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brick and BlackY
posting on phone so excuse my mistakes,
but either add clips, like in example 2 or flattend version. If the flattend Version is accepted I'd like the concrete parts at the vottom to be smaller as well. For the looks.
First method is worst lne imo.

posting on phone so excuse my mistakes,
but either add clips, like in example 2 or flattend version. If the flattend Version is accepted I'd like the concrete parts at the vottom to be smaller as well. For the looks.
First method is worst lne imo.
I went with the flatened and no collision solution. If no further wishes or suggestions arise until tomorrow evening I will do a final compile and post the download here.

I still have an issue with the small windows tho.
They are hard to jump through i think.

Later than planned but here is the final edited version:

BSP

BZ2

I still have an issue with the small windows tho.
They are hard to jump through i think.
Not sure if you've tested my edited version but that has been changed weeks ago.
There seems to be some invisible overhang which Is definitely annoying.
I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. I checked the windows and they're on the exact same hammer unit. Maybe you could download the map, test it and if it's still there upload a screenshot with the exact location so I can fix it while it isn't on the server yet?

Reactions: Brick and fanthom
Later than planned but here is the final edited version:

BSP

BZ2

Not sure if you've tested my edited version but that has been changed weeks ago.

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. I checked the windows and they're on the exact same hammer unit. Maybe you could download the map, test it and if it's still there upload a screenshot with the exact location so I can fix it while it isn't on the server yet?
I think the current map has small, invisible ledges to help you enter a window if you're dropping vertically, for instance when you overshoot the jump and "hug" the wall to enter the window. Might be what they're talking about.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Zyphon and ekin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread