Tolerance in Decision / Vote Threads. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

So after being on the forums for a little while I've noticed the Admin crackdown on replies to threads relating to admin decisions and such. For a new forum user, it would be easy to mistakenly reply to a thread but the post have no relevance - such as in a Staff Application.

Instead of members of staff having to waste their time on the forums deleting posts due to irrelevancy, perspective spam or because it's an Admin matter I believe certain topics on the forum should be only accessible to members of staff to reply to and give their words - such as in the Staff Applications. As mentioned on previous occasions by many members of the staff team, a lot of the replies posted to a staff application are things like "Good Luck" or something of the sort. To avoid this, I again suggest that certain forum topics be made only accessible to members of staff or staff only able to reply to these kinds of threads.

Alternatively, I would suggest that the tolerance of these replies change a little bit. I think replies that have absolutely no relevance to the original post or replies that are unnecessary should be deleted straight away - while the person who applied is notified of the deletion of the post.

I really don't believe members should not have the right to partake in the discussion of certain topics on the forum and be censored in a way, purely because they are not a member of staff. While it could be argued that staff matters on the forum or none of a member's business - I believe it is important for regular members to at least be able to share their opinion without being told that they can't partake in a discussion / matter.

TL;DR
Member's opinions shouldn't be held against them unless they have no relevance or are unnecessary / shit posts. But in a situation where this can not change, certain topics on the forum should at least be made only accessible to members of the staff team - just to avoid staff's time being wasted because of unnecessary posts on a thread that should be dealt by Admins. A lot of the spam on threads could be avoided this way.

Sorry to ramble - but it's just a suggestion on how things could change.

Idk if it is a good thing or a bad thing but... you have JUST joined the community and you are already going on about " This should change and this should change"
Making suggestions isn't bad at all but.. this seems quite Passive Aggresive In My Opinion

I do like the fact you make an effort outof it.

Well I haven't just joined the community. I've been playing on Panda servers longer than I've been on the Forums. I just recently discovered the forums. I don't see what's wrong with suggestive stuff I think could change even though I'm new on the forum.

• Dislike
Reactions: TotallyNotACat
Though it may seem like nothing is currently going on, we are currently discussing what could be done about these particular things that have recently been causing issues.

The first one is applications and how users have been acting like they are administrators. We also have the opposite side of the spectrum, where they comment a sentence and say 'Good luck you have my support'.

The thing is, it looks like we seem to be against making it staff only due to some users do actually give insightful information that us, as admins, would not know about. This includes items that have either been missed or are not recorded in server logs such as behaviors outside on other servers, steam chat, voice chat etc. I don't particularly want to deny that information coming in, but it got to the point where we are deleting at least 5-10 comments per application so I wanted to shut it up to staff only.

It's the same with unban appeals and reports. We get these joke reports and then also these strange joke comments when someone posts an appeal. What even.

People are suddenly acting like they are admin on threads that really should be admin business only. The things that non-admins should be doing is respecting that part of the forums and only commenting when they have something that staff should know. I don't care about the off topic or introduction side, feel free to post whatever so long as it isn't overboard.

What we need is sanctions. Some form of posting limitations. NOT BANS. Those who keep posting disrespectfully should get their posts limited. I don't want the bad apples spoiling it for the rest of the people who actually get what respect means.

Yeah, I can agree! Threads are kind of getting out of control at the moment. I understand how it can get a bit stressful when staff have to delete a bunch of replies for the exact reasons you stated. In terms of sanctions, I'm sure there are multiple systems that can be put in place to make sure shitposts don't spread out of control. I'm sure these sanctions can be discussed, and I'd like to see what ideas come up.

• Dislike
Reactions: TotallyNotACat
The fact of the matter is, when people march in here and randomly start posting on things that they shouldn't even be posting on in the first place, literally just from a common sense point of view, it becomes a real pain in the a-s. I was the one who brought it up in the first place, because we have random people who, I don't care how long they've been playing on the Panda servers, just join the Forums and screw everything up. They sh-tpost on random threads, post cancerous images in the shoutbox, and act as though they have Administrative rights on Admin Applications.

The fact that random people, Donator or not, just show up on an Admin Application and start throwing around fancy words and evaluating something that isn't theirs to evaluate ticks me off. The fact is, as a person who holds a state of authority on the servers of Panda, it should be our job and ONLY our job to both gather all information needed about the person applying for a position of authority. Side comments, stupid jokes, reaction images, sarcastic replies, etc. are not wanted, nor are they needed.

From my personal point of view, if an Admin cannot gather all the correct and needed information for an applicant who wishes to become an Admin without the help of a regular member, why are they even an Admin?

Admin Applications are not places to simply post:
"I know (name) and blah, support."
"Cool player. Support."

Admins, and only Admins, are responsible alongside Kevin in determining who does and who does not become an Admin. Therefore, Admins, and only Admins, should be allowed to post on application threads imo. There are TONS of other threads you can post on; if not, make one.

There's no question of "tolerance" on an application thread; there is no tolerance on a thread that is meant to put someone in a position of power. The fact remains that regular members and Donators have no say in who becomes an Admin in the end.

The ONLY time I can see a regular member or Donator saying something on a thread would be to provide some INTELLIGENT insight on what the player is like, and even then, it's an iffy move because it can be VERY biased. Example:

Not Needed: "Oh this player is cool. Support."
Needed: "This player has a wonderful personality, and even though they (insert some sort of negativity about them here) every once in a while, they have a great attitude and have a drive to want to get things done, including punish those who break the rules. I've played with them for a long time now, and I've seen what they can do. I believe they would be of great use to your team because... etc."

We need detailed reasons as to why the player should be added. And this doesn't mean you go snooping around and find out info just to compile it into a large, 'descriptive' paragraph to post onto the thread. (I know people will attempt to do this; they won't even know the player and yet they think they can try to sound intelligent to cover it up.)

Case in point, this is still a major issue me and other Admins are discussing. I've explained it to the best of my ability to you.

I know what the problem is, I never said this is how it SHOULD be solved. I'm just suggesting different ways this situation could be tackled. I agree with most of what you said, as this is a problem that needs to be solved. I never said "tolerance" on just application threads, I meant on other threads as well. Posts usually get caught up in deletions and problems are always caused because of this. Instead, threads could be made only accessible to members of staff. OR, as Madact explains, Sanctions could be introduced as a repercussion of useless posts / shitposts. Thanks for your very detailed insight, Brando. I appreciate your contribution to this thread.

Hi.

So after being on the forums for a little while I've noticed the Admin crackdown on replies to threads relating to admin decisions and such. For a new forum user, it would be easy to mistakenly reply to a thread but the post have no relevance - such as in a Staff Application.

Instead of members of staff having to waste their time on the forums deleting posts due to irrelevancy, perspective spam or because it's an Admin matter I believe certain topics on the forum should be only accessible to members of staff to reply to and give their words - such as in the Staff Applications. As mentioned on previous occasions by many members of the staff team, a lot of the replies posted to a staff application are things like "Good Luck" or something of the sort. To avoid this, I again suggest that certain forum topics be made only accessible to members of staff or staff only able to reply to these kinds of threads.

Alternatively, I would suggest that the tolerance of these replies change a little bit. I think replies that have absolutely no relevance to the original post or replies that are unnecessary should be deleted straight away - while the person who applied is notified of the deletion of the post.

I really don't believe members should not have the right to partake in the discussion of certain topics on the forum and be censored in a way, purely because they are not a member of staff. While it could be argued that staff matters on the forum or none of a member's business - I believe it is important for regular members to at least be able to share their opinion without being told that they can't partake in a discussion / matter.

TL;DR
Member's opinions shouldn't be held against them unless they have no relevance or are unnecessary / shit posts. But in a situation where this can not change, certain topics on the forum should at least be made only accessible to members of the staff team - just to avoid staff's time being wasted because of unnecessary posts on a thread that should be dealt by Admins. A lot of the spam on threads could be avoided this way.

Sorry to ramble - but it's just a suggestion on how things could change.
just said on the side;

there is no need to lock down the forums only cause some people cant behave and need to shitpost everywhere and behaving like some idiots, those people get warned and incase needed perm. banned from the forums incase they continue.

this counts for threads and also for the shoutbox, for sure there can be fun but when it starts to be insultive the fun is over as shown yesterday and i've seen your name there too.

I brought up an idea regarding this back in May or so in the Señor Admin subforum - admins would have a separate judging/voting subforum where applicant voting/discussion threads would be created , while normal members and trials could give their insight on the application in the admin application subforum.

That's still pretty much open for discussion. It's extra work, but it filters out spam.

+1 friendly and informative thread.

• Informative
Reactions: Flynt and Pudgey
I brought up an idea regarding this back in May or so in the Señor Admin subforum - admins would have a separate judging/voting subforum where applicant voting/discussion threads would be created , while normal members and trials could give their insight on the application in the admin application subforum.

That's still pretty much open for discussion. It's extra work, but it filters out spam.

+1 friendly and informative thread.

We actually did this when you left the senior team. We made a subforum and then posted in depth evaluations with pros and cons, links and current standing on voting. When the senior team spilt the folder was then moved to the full admin section slightly. Then I left and it changed back to normal again.

Something like this could happen again, I'm willing to put that work in again. Though this doesn't stop the useless comments that could be put up on the original post.

• Agree
Reactions: Dio Brando
I still don't get Why you make a thread that you want something done about this even though you were doing the same thing but got told that you shouldn't do it.

So because I made a mistake due to me being a nub on the Forums means I can't learn from said mistake and try to get something done about it?

Reactions: Redspike
We actually did this when you left the senior team. We made a subforum and then posted in depth evaluations with pros and cons, links and current standing on voting. When the senior team spilt the folder was then moved to the full admin section slightly. Then I left and it changed back to normal again.

Something like this could happen again, I'm willing to put that work in again. Though this doesn't stop the useless comments that could be put up on the original post.

I'd love to see the countless ideas regarding this topic. Even though this is just a suggestion on things that could happen - you never know. Something knew might be developed.

just said on the side;

there is no need to lock down the forums only cause some people cant behave and need to shitpost everywhere and behaving like some idiots, those people get warned and incase needed perm. banned from the forums incase they continue.

this counts for threads and also for the shoutbox, for sure there can be fun but when it starts to be insultive the fun is over as shown yesterday and i've seen your name there too.

If I insulted somebody I would apologise. I wouldn't say anything like that unless it was for banterous fun or unless I was really salty. And if I did, I apologise.

So because I made a mistake due to me being a nub on the Forums means I can't learn from said mistake and try to get something done about it?

I didn't say you can't get something done about it but you basically sound like a hypocrite

I didn't say you can't get something done about it but you basically sound like a hypocrite

This is kind of an extreme example, but whatever.

So, when a drug addict goes into jail and then into rehab - and then goes on to raise awareness about drug abuse and why you shouldn't get hooked on drugs...

He's a hypocrite?

No offence at all, Swaggy. But your view of someone being a "hypocrite" makes no sense. I made a mistake once on the forum, because I was new and did not know that what I did was not allowed. When I realised this, I stopped doing it. So I made a suggestion on some ways problems like this could be averted in the future. How is that hypocritical?

I would be hypocritical if, for example, I made a mistake on the forums and continued doing whatever I was doing and getting in trouble for it - and THEN make a suggestion post about it. In that case, I would be a hypocrite. But I learnt from a mistake, and I'm trying to forward possible ways to stop thread spam for occurring.

No disrespect.

This is kind of an extreme example, but whatever.

So, when a drug addict goes into jail and then into rehab - and then goes on to raise awareness about drug abuse and why you shouldn't get hooked on drugs...

He's a hypocrite?

No offence at all, Swaggy. But your view of someone being a "hypocrite" makes no sense. I made a mistake once on the forum, because I was new and did not know that what I did was not allowed. When I realised this, I stopped doing it. So I made a suggestion on some ways problems like this could be averted in the future. How is that hypocritical?

I would be hypocritical if, for example, I made a mistake on the forums and continued doing whatever I was doing and getting in trouble for it - and THEN make a suggestion post about it. In that case, I would be a hypocrite. But I learnt from a mistake, and I'm trying to forward possible ways to stop thread spam for occurring.

No disrespect.

I think if I'm not mistaken if I say you've done it more then once, also you want to fix something you did yourself making you a hypocrite in my eyes. If you want to keep moaning about this go ahead but I said my view on things

I think if I'm not mistaken if I say you've done it more then once, also you want to fix something you did yourself making you a hypocrite in my eyes. If you want to keep moaning about this go ahead but I said my view on things

I don't think you're moaning, I understand your viewpoint. But I don't think we should have this kind of discussion on a suggestion thread - You can message me if you like. But I can assure you, I'm not a hypocrite. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread