Team Fortress 2 - FPS Freeze (1 Viewer)

Ninja Cookie

I have asked many, many people about this, console command experts and all sorts but every single thing I have tried that could apparently fix this issue has failed.

Fixes tried that have Failed:
  • Performance config's
  • DXLevel (currently at 98)
  • Windowed mode / Fullscreen mode
  • Resolution change
  • Removing mods or custom content
  • In-Game Console Graphical changes
  • In-Game Console Network changes
  • Removing steam in-game overlay
  • Reinstalling
  • Driver De-fragment
  • Switching internet providers
  • Cleaning PC of junk files with programs
  • PC Performance changes
  • Verifying integrity of game cache
  • Switching game to a new/fresh Driver
  • Possibly more I have forgotten...

[Gaming Laptop]
[Windows 7]
[8GB RAM]
[64-bit Operating System]
Currently Running Team Fortress 2 on Second driver (F:\) (Free Space: 297 GB)

The problem is, while in Team Fortress 2, randomly the game will freeze for either just less than a second or a bit more. I also freeze in-game to other players but objects such as my rockets continue as normal. Also to make this clear, the game does Freeze, not like it's a lag issue but the main game freezes, unlocks my mouse from the game and repeats the last sound it heard over and over until unfrozen. The game also freezing when certain game triggers or events are activated for either the first time or sometimes randomly after from the same thing, such as: Payload suddenly moving, Announcer saying something, Getting hurt, Getting killed and more.
This is what happens just after the freeze:
0D681931B054F2E869AAF5C7D432A9D79F90FF9C.jpg

From what I can tell, though I have no idea what this is or does, someone said it had something to do with the network so it seems like a huge packaged of information is given to me at once which would indeed make sense for it to freeze.

If anyone knows what this is or why it happens I would most appreciate help in fixing this issue.

[Gaming Laptop]
[Windows 7]
[8GB RAM]
"Gaming Laptop" Intel HD Onboard graphics or what? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
But try "verify integrity of game cache" in steam nvm lel

NOTE TO ALL: This is Confirmed NOT to be Any graphical issue in any way.

The problem is, while in Team Fortress 2, randomly the game will freeze for either just less than a second or a bit more.
Could it be a faulty HDD?
I personally have these kind of freezes too on TF2 and also other games installed on the HDD. I've installed a game that freezed like TF2 does on the SSD and it runs fine. So I've come to the conclusion that I may have a faulty HDD.

In my opinion, if you have an external HDD you should try to install and play TF2 from there to see if it freezes.
also, "gaming laptop" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Winner
Reactions: CiroBishop
Could it be a faulty HDD?
I personally have these kind of freezes too on TF2 and also other games installed on the HDD. I've installed a game that freezed like TF2 does on the SSD and it runs fine. So I've come to the conclusion that I may have a faulty HDD.

In my opinion, if you have an external HDD you should try to install and play TF2 from there to see if it freezes.
also, "gaming laptop" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm not sure what is wrong with a gaming laptop, the thing cost more than a small house. Done so I can actually move from place to place with all my stuff and runs most games with about 200fps.

Also I suppose this is possible though I'm not really sure how to fix something like that.

EDIT: Something I just remembered, this also happens while watching a demo playback, but Never happens on the main menu or any other area apart from in-game.

I'm not sure what is wrong with a gaming laptop, the thing cost more than a small house. Done so I can actually move from place to place with all my stuff and runs most games with about 200fps.

Also I suppose this is possible though I'm not really sure how to fix something like that.

EDIT: Something I just remembered, this also happens while watching a demo playback, but Never happens on the main menu or any other area apart from in-game.
Just try some other games if the same happens, if yes just change the HDD and get a SSD. And for the money of a small house I could build you a pc to play GTA 5 on 3 4k screens and way more. lol

Just try some other games if the same happens, if yes just change the HDD and get a SSD. And for the money of a small house I could build you a pc to play GTA 5 on 3 4k screens and way more. lol

I know, I was just exaggerating honestly but no this does not happen on any other game although it does happen on other Source games, such as CS:GO but not CS:S. But it's not as much as TF2, CS:GO rarely ever has this and could simply be a separate problem all together.

So i have a 1500 € gaming pc and the exact same issue. It's probably something with the source engine, today im gonna try a few things and tell you the result.

"Gaming Laptop.".
sick-laugh-gif.gif

Would it be possible for you to give me all your pc specs, that would make a it a bit easier to look into.

I have asked many, many people about this, console command experts and all sorts but every single thing I have tried that could apparently fix this issue has failed.

Fixes tried that have Failed:
  • Performance config's
  • DXLevel (currently at 98)
  • Windowed mode / Fullscreen mode
  • Resolution change
  • Removing mods or custom content
  • In-Game Console Graphical changes
  • In-Game Console Network changes
  • Removing steam in-game overlay
  • Reinstalling
  • Driver De-fragment
  • Switching internet providers
  • Cleaning PC of junk files with programs
  • PC Performance changes
  • Verifying integrity of game cache
  • Switching game to a new/fresh Driver
  • Possibly more I have forgotten...

[Gaming Laptop]
[Windows 7]
[8GB RAM]

The problem is, while in Team Fortress 2, randomly the game will freeze for either just less than a second or a bit more. I also freeze in-game to other players but objects such as my rockets continue as normal. Also to make this clear, the game does Freeze, not like it's a lag issue but the main game freezes, unlocks my mouse from the game and repeats the last sound it heard over and over until unfrozen. The game also freezing when certain game triggers or events are activated for either the first time or sometimes randomly after from the same thing, such as: Payload suddenly moving, Announcer saying something, Getting hurt, Getting killed and more.
This is what happens just after the freeze:
0D681931B054F2E869AAF5C7D432A9D79F90FF9C.jpg

From what I can tell, though I have no idea what this is or does, someone said it had something to do with the network so it seems like a huge packaged of information is given to me at once which would indeed make sense for it to freeze.

If anyone knows what this is or why it happens I would most appreciate help in fixing this issue.
download http://www.acronis.com/de-de/personal/hard-drive-health/ and run the program and post an screenshot of it, incase the HDD is defective as many people suspect here it will be shown up there.

*sigh* you people... the only person who has seemed to try help is Kevin but I don't trust this place enough now to even check this link. ::(:

*sigh* you people... the only person who has seemed to try help is Kevin but I don't trust this place enough now to even check this link. ::(:
lol, just google "hdd health" and you will find something. Thats not a phishing site or something like that.

That link is Acronis, dont worry about it, we use it here in work too to save pc Images and clone hard-drives, its absolutely harmless and i dont think the owner of a community would try to send you a phishing link.

I'll just put this here;

Source Engine games seem to demand higher than normal hard drive speeds. I did a few tests a long time ago with switching TF2 onto three different partitions:
  • A regular 5400 RPM hard drive.
  • An SSD with read/writes of 300/300 .
  • Two 7200RPM hard drives in RAID 0 (~400 read/write)
Team Fortress would occasionally freeze when placed on the regular hard drive, for about five seconds, looping the last half second of sound until it unfroze. This issue had completely disappeared when using TF2 on any of the other partitions.

Further investigating, several people found that hiccups would occur when the Source engine tries to play sound loops which are in the wrong path / format (EX: sounds got updated from WAV to MP3 but the console cant find the WAV file anymore).

I can only assume that not having enough bandwidth causes the engine to stutter until it gives up on finding the file it's searching for, whereas this is handled well when there is enough bandwidth.

Solutions could include the following:
  • Running game-boosting software (stops other processes while playing, frees memory)
  • Assigning the Source engine a higher priority (-high in launch options)
  • (Vulnerable to security issues) Excluding TF2 / Steam from your anti-virus Realtime

Reactions: Ninja Cookie
I'll just put this here;

Source Engine games seem to demand higher than normal hard drive speeds. I did a few tests a long time ago with switching TF2 onto three different partitions:
Team Fortress would occasionally freeze when placed on the regular hard drive, for about five seconds, looping the last half second of sound until it unfroze. This issue had completely disappeared when using TF2 on any of the other partitions.

Further investigating, several people found that hiccups would occur when the Source engine tries to play sound loops which are in the wrong path / format (EX: sounds got updated from WAV to MP3 but the console cant find the WAV file anymore).

I can only assume that not having enough bandwidth causes the engine to stutter until it gives up on finding the file it's searching for, whereas this is handled well when there is enough bandwidth.

• Running game-boosting software (stops other processes while playing, frees memory)
  • (Vulnerable to security issues) Excluding TF2 / Steam from your anti-virus Realtime

Very good information to have, thank you, this gives me a couple of ideas for things I can try.

I'll just put this here;

i wanna see thus drives which give you in RAID0 400 r/w speeds

i wanna see thus drives which give you in RAID0 400 r/w speeds

It's two WD black drives, they were brand new. Right now they run at 310 according to DXtory, because I haven't defragged or decluttered them since I've used them, and they're full of 5mb video scraps.

Users who are viewing this thread