Declined Revising the caps rule (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redspike

Gameserver Admin
Staff member
Gameserver Admin
d) Chat spamming
Flooding the chat with the same message or with useless, unintelligible content that disrupt communication or are deemed otherwise irritating is forbidden. Additionally, refrain from typing in caps.

the bold part of that clause is probably the most enforced rule of #25, and I can imagine that it is on other servers aswell. I believe that this rule is enforced in an "anti-caps purity" kind of way that it was never intended for in the first place and that makes more harm than good. I'll explain:

What I have seen happening on #25 is when someone types in caps they get an immediete - almost bot like - response from staff to "Lay of the caps!". That's a pretty stern warning for something that's probably the most mild offense of the rules aswell as something many players intuitively think is okay. If I was a new player and I got warned like that for caps, I'd be annoyed, it definitely radiates an unfreindly - almost orwellian - atmosphere and it makes it look like admins are micromanaging every little miss-step.

The rule also is very vague, it really looks like a sentence added in passing and is very hard to interpet. I have always understood it as discouraging excessive use of caps while other people evidently see abolute zero tolerance for caps.

So what I suggest:
  • For the sake of a friendly atmopshere on the servers; a more relaxed enforcing of the caps rule, instead of stern warnings, perhaps just give a friendly reminder of the rule? If it gets excessive ofc, then a warning is in place as usual.
  • Change the caps rule to more clearly include what is and what is not allowed, I personally prefer a more relaxed attitude to caps but if the majority want to enforce the no-caps-policy atleast state it clearer.
That's a pretty good basis for discussion I think; if some general ideas and different views get established it might be in place to add a poll.

/red

Really all that is needed is a simple change from "refrain from typing in caps" to "do not overuse caps" and a note to the admins who enforce it for a single word in caps to get the stick out their butt.

Really all that is needed is a simple change from "refrain from typing in caps" to "do not overuse caps" and a note to the admins who enforce it for a single word in caps to get the stick out their butt.
sounds like a plan.

Accepted

User1: Shout if you like eggs
User2: WEW EGGS
User1: :D
User3: WAIT STOP
User3: What about ham?
User4: LISTEN TO ME
User1: LOL

Not Acceptable

User1: HI YES HELLO CHOOSE OBBY PLEASE OR YOU BAD BIG SMELLY
User1: HAHA JAILBREAK USER THAT IS SO FUNNY JAJAJAJAJA
User 2: repeat?
User 3: !r
User1: TRADING MY BILLS HAT FOR A ACTUAL GOOD WARDEN HAHA

I see it being more on sentences rather than it being short words. But if all the user says is short word in capital letters then I might question this too. It's just to avoid unnecessary distraction.
(Not sure why I'm using jailbreak as an example, but I'm more likely to get full sentence capital letters from there)

This was discussed privately as well. I'm guessing what was discussed hasn't been taken seriously if this is still an issue.
I'm willing to change the rule to a better worded sentence along with a note to the admins about this. Not sure a little change in the rule will be enough.

I'm willing to change the rule to a better worded sentence along with a note to the admins about this.
That sounds like the most viable solution. I don't know if you guys centrally determine your policies or if every admin is up to make their own rendering of the rules, either way I think that goes a long way.

As for your examples I completly agree. With the one dimensional nature of chatting, caps can be a way to emphazise something and using it for that shouldn't really be a problem.

I created a thread in private addressing this already, seems like most admins understand what is and isn't excessive in the case of overusing caps. Hopefully you have already noticed this has been toned down as of late and treated more lightly which seems to be the main gripe you had to begin with.

If however an edit is necessary so that admins don't misconstrue the rule, feel free to revisit this. I won't be making any actual changes to game server rules since I feel I'm overstepping my boundaries there. For now though, I'm cleaning up suggestions and this one I'll go ahead and close up.

Reactions: Redspike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread