Completed Remove/Add maps for Dodgeball (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tolfx

I'll start with some maps that i would suggest that we could remove, cause nobody plays them and "hates" them.

tfdb_gov_spacedodgeball is a map that is just ugly, and not fun to play at all. The rocket can go under the map and general confusing to play on tbh..
1580402647006.png

tfdb_dev_panda_a1 is a bright map that burns almost every players eyes, it could ofc be darker if someone had the time to do it.
1580402755113.png

tfdb_baseball_a5 is a map that is not so famous anymore among players nobody really plays this maps anymore sadly (even the fixes on the map).
1580402936909.png

tfdb_virtual_b1 is one annoying map that just makes you dizzy and makes your eyes cry, i would say this map is one of the most hated map.
1580403069819.png

Static
Server #19
1580403217389.png

Server #04
1580403232351.png

And as you can see these maps that i listed doesnt have any kills at all compared to the others, this can be ofc be voted for what map that goes away and you can also list a map in here that you would also get rid of.

New maps

We have been having these maps for quiet a long time now, it would be nice if we added new maps into our community, and here are some suggestions i got. (sadly there is not many)

tfdb_rocketbucks_v2 is one famous map that i think would be nice to add into our community because is simple and big.
1580403908123.png

tfdb_swagrocket is one special map and would be fun to play on. (I've not tested this map yet.)
1580404734850.png

tfdb_box_evening is just box_night but brighter and just have some small changes (maybe replace box_night with this?)
1580404986640.png

Well this is all i got for now (wont add a vote on this better to give your suggestions and opinions instead)

Attachments

• 1580402938121.png
    1580402938121.png
    476.6 KB · Views: 212
  • Useful
Reactions: Absinthe
I would say that tfdb_catland_panda should be removed too? The map is too bright and the ground sometimes bugs the rocket.

Agreed with this, I'm sceptical about swagrocket tho, we need to test this before to see if it's not a tfdb_pingpong like. (Check the end to see my point about this map)

Agreed with @Absinthe for catland, map's too bright and the random spawn confuse players more than being fun/useful.

I'd like to remove tfdb_pingpong too, too small, and you can fall. It's not a good map to pay on when you're a beginner in dodgeball. (Also, I hate this map)

@Pricholas @Agent C maybe you two also have something to say about this?

I would say that tfdb_catland_panda should be removed too? The map is too bright and the ground sometimes bugs the rocket.
Yeah this map is also a bit meh, I dont have much problem with it tho because it never gets voted anymore.

I'd like to remove tfdb_pingpong too, too small, and you can fall. It's not a good map to pay on when you're a beginner in dodgeball. (Also, I hate this map)
I'm about 50/50 about this map, I like it but I think is a bit annoying sometimes when 20 players play on that map.

Panda DB desperately needs new content. The second map needs a clean pass to make sure nothing can be downspiked and snagged.

Spacedodgeball is actually on of my favorite maps, it's sad it always gets rocked. There's nothing really wrong with it, except the bright spot in the skybox.
The downspike mechanic is refreshing, and adds to the skill ceiling. People who dislike this feature are probably bad lol.

Catland is okay, but the spawns are mixed and it makes stealing a problem sometimes. Good map, bad layout.

Pingpong is fine, except for the net being annoying and when there is more than ~6 players.

Dev is also a decent map, just has poor lighting control, easy to lose sight of the rocket.

Virtual also suffers a visibility issue due to lighting control, except the rocket is fine, it's the players who are hard to see.

Orange blue red is a terrible map, it's basically just a worse version of greybox.

And perhaps the most controversial, bitch ass is a dog shit map... change my mind.

Panda DB desperately needs new content. The second map needs a clean pass to make sure nothing can be downspiked and snagged.
I can take my time to look at it and fix it if needed.

Spacedodgeball is actually on of my favorite maps, it's sad it always gets rocked. There's nothing really wrong with it, except the bright spot in the skybox.
The downspike mechanic is refreshing, and adds to the skill ceiling. People who dislike this feature are probably bad lol.
Well this is true with the skybox, it could easily be fixed by changing it to skylab (the one that hexa- and octagone uses) or the one i made without the ugly galaxy blinding your eyes. I also disagree with you about "The downspike mechanic is refreshing" I can sadly not see it refreshing and enjoyable, it makes it general confusing and because of the skybox it makes it even more shit. I tbh think we need to remake it so we can see where the walls are and etc.

Orange blue red is a terrible map, it's basically just a worse version of greybox.
I think this map could be better, if it had better lightning (aka make it darker) and maybe if not everyone spawned at the same spot..?

So I just checked on swagrocket, and i would say it needs some work into it if we should use it. The rocket spawns even if the round hasnt started yet and the rocket can go under the map giving a result that the rocket gets stuck.

You can review the demo for yourself and see. (also ignore the weird movements im doing in the start of the rounds, i got some weird bugs on my server lol)

Attachments

• 20200201_1123_tfdb_swagrocket_red_blu.dem
    4.8 MB · Views: 231
This is pretty good, I love the work and feedback put into this. DB does need the love and I'm glad the admins are looking out for this gamemode.

Anyway of listing those that need deleting without the images? And those that are wanted to be added in a list with their download links. Would make formatting this better and save me some time.

Was looking at the statistics. Maybe those below 1 % need removing? Or more than that? Just a thought. It doesn't matter as much but it will reduce the amount of choices in nominate which would make it easy to navigate.

You can be even stricter @Madact , you can remove all the maps below bitch_ass_panda, taking #4 map ranks tbh.

That's 11 maps removed, leaving 12 maps on tfdb, enough choice in my opinion.

And we can try some new maps too after we have test them :) (I'm afraid swagrocket will be a no go for me @Tolfx, sry ^^)

• Surprised
Reactions: Madact
We can always test, but who knows how the db community feels about us removing them all just like that, won't be the best solution tbh. But @Madact do as you please, I think it will be good either way.

And we can try some new maps too after we have test them :) (I'm afraid swagrocket will be a no go for me @Tolfx, sry ^^)
I already tested all of the maps, and as i said swagrocket need some time into it if we should add it. I could make demos of the two others too if you don't trust me.

I've been playing some of these maps for at least three years now. I know many flaws, and many tricks.

I could nit pick all of these maps, but some of them are much worse and really need some work.

hexagon - @Lighty said he was working on a v3.

octagon - no touchie.

spacebox_a2 - i'd love to bring back the glass floor being breakable in the middle, just needs a rocket clip plane in under it.

box_space_a5 - glass ceiling is looking out for your legs :b

blucourt - no touchie.

spacetube - map is very narrow, hard to play with more than ten players, still a good map.

redcourt - someone please fix the control point bug.

butts - map is misleading, there are no butts. needs textures someday (butt textures?), but otherwise perfectly fine.

greybox - annoying mid map kill box, otherwise players seem to like this map for some reason.

box_sides - team barrier map, it's okay but very hectic with too many players. you can tiny mann under the glass :) Pretty uncommon and fun, doesn't really need to be fixed.

pingpong - map is technically fine, it's just nightmare fuel when there is more than eight players.

desert_madness - oversized, but generally loved.

beandevil - snags occur in the rafters, players who teleport to the rafters can abuse the rocket, annoying csay buttons... "I AM BOSS DOGBALL" etc

box_night - most players just think its too dark.

bitch_ass - dog shit map to begin with, wooden bridge can still snag rockets in the right place, you can bug the rocket if you down spike in a particular location.
The entire mid map section of this map simply needs to be replaced. The wooden bridge can be replaced with the other bridge's style, the rocket clip plane can be fixed, and the textures could desperately use a facelift.

indoor_tennis - map is awesome, but it has two issues. the spawn rockets spawn on the both edges of the map, which can definitely catch you off guard. The net can be used as a visual exploit, meaning the visibility of the rocket is compromised at specific heights. Technically this one gets a pass, but some quality of life tweaks would make it so much better.

baseball - honestly, someone just needs replace the grass texture to something that isn't puke.

dev - needs lighting overhaul, perhaps textures that aren't as white as a flash bang in a closet would completely change the map.

catland - bad spawns, otherwise it's the actually prettiest map we have.

hotnuke - really obnoxious ambient sound, it's like being inside of a plane. Map is good otherwise, the kill box is a little janky, you can totally strafe around it with good bhop timing.

spacedodgeball - needs a different skybox, the barrier in the middle can honestly be removed.
This map has the largest skybox on the list, hexagon is tall, but spacedb is thicc.
That being said, if you roll no gravity, or you abuse your admin donator powers, you can sit on the edge of the skybox at the top, fall onto the other team's side, or simply fall to the bottom of the map. Hard to exploit because of the distance, very overpowered with a good player.

virtual - just needs a lighting update. both sides of the map have team colored lighting, which is extremely dim. Hard to see players, even harder to identify team color.

Remove:
orenge_blu_red - downgrade and copy of greybox. Either needs a huge facelift, or delete.

New:
rocketbucks - please yes
swagrocket - please no unless fix
box_evening - add or replace box_night to get around fixing the lighting.

• Agree
Reactions: Madact and Tolfx
I can take my time to fix these maps:
beandevil
bitch_ass (Don't remove this map is fun)
baseball
swagrocket

The other maps that you mentioned that needs works, should just get removed. I tbh don't like them so by removing them would be fine for me.

I'll keep in touch in the maps I'll be trying to fix, I will probably be missing textures or something or the decompiling won't work who knows.

@Tolfx

How goes the find the files for the maps? I know you've asked about it, so I'm assuming you've attempted to ask the original creators if they're willing?

So I got some problems.

Seems like I can't decompile the maps nor fine the creators of the maps. Which makes it really hard to work with, I've only fixed bitch_ass but since I'm not very good at compiling on hammer I can't get everything to work. Also when I decompile the maps they are corrupted, and I'm not really sure why. Might be the creators who made a security for the maps or just the decompiler is messing with the maps, giving a result of an corrupted file. I would really like to get some help if someone could would like to help.

I've also tried to contact some of the old db team, but no one really cares about db which makes this even harder for me.

I've also find some problems with octagon and hexagon, seems like it got some gaps and I will also fix that (if i can even decompile them). But I'm pretty sure Lighty was making a fix on Hexagon so I'll try to message him on that.

I'll give a message for further progress about this.

Hello hello, been a month and some days now so time it gets fixed.

As I said I could fix some maps, but I skipped baseball and swagrocket, since I'm bad at hammer and etc. But I took care of Beand, Bitch_ass, Octagon and hexagon, but I'm having problems with hexagon. And why I took care of octagon and hexagon is because it got some holes and some issues that makes the map easy to abuse.

So why I didn't take care of the others maps I will ofc explain.
box_night can be replaced since most players just think is too dark so need to fix that map.

indoor_tenis is a hated map among EU and never gets played, mostly because is too bright or too big, also got problems with spawns and don't want to be bothered to fix it when nobody likes it.

baseball is also hated and I tried to "fix" it but I don't really know how to get a nice new texture to the map since I lack skill of hammer.

dev has been asked to be deleted for a while so I think is better to delete it imo.

catland I don't see much problem with, but it never gets played either way which is sad.

hotnuke is a fun map imo but I could maybe fix the spawn rocket, making it spawn a little bit lower, and I don't really mind the sound, and I've never heard complains about it.

spacedodgeball got so many issues and I would be easier to delete since nobody plays on it either way sadly.

virtual is an art form of it self but doesn't match very well on dodgeball sadly because of the visuals.

Changes/fixes on the maps
beand had some problems with it rafts so I removed them and also added another tele for red team since blue also got one, and why is because I don't see many abusing it so much in EU but maybe does in NY?
1585058888129.png

Bitch_ass didn't get so many fixes, but I fixed the holes it got that has been there for a long time, but since I didn't want to destroy so much on the look of the map I only changed that, sorry Pricholas xd

Octagon got holes on the edges which can be abused which I've fixed and should be anti-abused now.

Hexagon could be abused on many places for an example getting no gravity and fly over the border and abuse the map, which I've fixed and should be clear to play, but need to fix the weird bug first.

And why I fixed the others maps is because they are very loved in EU and I would be sad to lose them. The maps should work fine but maybe should do some testing since when I tried them on my server I had to restart the plugin when I loaded the map for some reason, might be my plugins or the maps I'm not sure. I will send hexagon when I fix some weird bug on it, but otherwise I don't have much to say, maybe leave some feedback and thoughts.

Attachments

• tfdb_beandevil_panda_a2.bsp
    6.5 MB · Views: 254
  • tfdb_bitch_ass_panda_a2.bsp
    2.1 MB · Views: 228
  • tfdb_octagon_a8.bsp
    1.4 MB · Views: 230
Looks like we'll need to test the fixes above before adding them.

I'll put this on pending and list this up to just do the above for now, then we'll sort out the rest later.

Task
#164 Test updates for 3 db maps

maps have been updated on 176.57.142.80:27115 Panda-Community.com #29 | Dodgeball 3 | Advanced

lmk how the testing goes so i can proceed updating the other servers aswell.

Reactions: Djusan and Madact
Seems like when I "compiled" the maps I did a some mistakes which gave us an result of missing textures, and because I had the textures already installed on my machine I never saw this, but now everything should be compiled, sorry for the issues.

Attachments

• tfdb_beandevil_panda_a3.bsp
    6.8 MB · Views: 238
  • tfdb_octagon_a9.bsp
    17.9 MB · Views: 208
Reactions: Djusan
Seems like when I "compiled" the maps I did a some mistakes which gave us an result of missing textures, and because I had the textures already installed on my machine I never saw this, but now everything should be compiled, sorry for the issues.
@Kevin the maps needs to be updated on #29. Would be also good if we added rocketbucks and box_evening.

@Kevin

Appears these maps need to apply tolfx's fixes or we need to close this, completely scrapping these maps and reverting them back to whatever they where on #29 DB server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread