Languages (2 Viewers)

EvoWarrior5

Contributor
Which languages do you speak? How well do you know them? How often do you use them and in what contexts? Do you aspire to learn more languages? If so, which and why? What is it like to know multiple languages; do you have a different experience through each? If you are monolingual, does this negatively affect you in any way?

I speak Dutch as native language, using it at home and on the street with strangers.

I speak English at a high level, using it at the uni with peers and online.

I speak a little bit of German but it's been so long that most of it has faded and I have to think long and hard for a single sentence. I might want to pick it up again just to have decent proficiency in it.

I tried to learn Spanish a few months ago but I lost motivation. Why Spanish? Not sure, I was just intrigued by it. Maybe partly due to me knowing a few Spanish people and watching Scrubs in which some characters speak it.

I may want to learn French in a while, it's a prominent language and if I get it up to a high level I can even read literature in it, which could benefit my career. Plus I'm going to Paris in like 3 weeks so I will probably want to at least learn a few basic phrases :/

I've heard before that knowing different languages gives you almost a different view on the world through each, but I have never really noticed this. The only thing is maybe that Dutch does not have a gender neutral pronoun, which is annoying sometimes as I have gotten quite accustomed to using them in English.

Your turn. Tell me everything. Motivate me to broaden my horizon.

Reactions: Heratade
Swedish is my native language and i use it on daily basis.
English is my 2nd language which i use in a daily basis too. In social, work and fun related areas.
I took german for 6 years as my 3rd language but a lot of it have fade. I can read it well but i need more time speaking it since it dont come fluently.
Im currently learning french and are pretty good in reading,writing and listening but my pronounciation is a joke but still understandable.
I took russian and spanish for a year but its a long time ago and now only a few words and phrases is left in the memory.
And i can read and write ancient egyptian. but since its a dead language its not spoken so i guess it might not count.

I like languages because i find that a lot of meaning gets lost in translation. And to read in original languages gives more deep and meaning then to read something that have been translated. That is one of the reason i took my bachelor in ancient languages and cultures. Because we got to taste all big ancient civilizations languages and study the meaning behind them.

Im currently learning french and are pretty good in reading,writing and listening but my pronounciation is a joke but still understandable.

Where do you learn? I've got this app on my phone to help me learn but surely there are other ways. I know someone who has this little booklet about French so I'm gonna ask if I can borrow that. What do you do?

Well i used to practice on this app called duolingo.
Which i used before i went to Paris earlier this year. But then i decided to apply for taking french on a school instead. Because i want to get it on paper that i have the knowledge. And since i work at a bookstore i applied to take the classes on distance. So i have these school books and just follow the studyguide at the school. and do my exams. But i still use the app as a "repeat" to make sure i dont forget the basics just because i focus on other parts in school.
And i watch Wakfu and some other french kid stuff xD. because kids songs and seried usually have more articulated speech. Which i find great in learning.

I speak German natively, I live in Germany and have lived here for most of my life. I only use it when I'm ou

I speak English natively aswell, I use that for almost everything. I use it at work and when communicating with online aquaintances.

I used to speak Latin at an intermediate level. I forgot most of it because I never use it.

I started learning ancient greek but I never found the time for it.

I'd like to learn Spanish and Dutch when I find the time.

I've heard before that knowing different languages gives you almost a different view on the world through each, but I have never really noticed this. The only thing is maybe that Dutch does not have a gender neutral pronoun, which is annoying sometimes as I have gotten quite accustomed to using them in English.

English is tough because it's used in so many places. To notice something you'd have to look at local variations. I don't know about modern romanic languagesas I don't know any (not enough to be able to make a judgement). I know for a fact that comparing latin to modern languages tells you a lot about Roman culture.

I speak Spanish natively, I was born in Mexico and moved to U.S and still use it today.

English is my 2nd language, and I feel I speak it at a high level.

I started learning Japanese and am currently still learning Japanese. I'm not very good at it though.

I would love to learn German, French, and Arabic.

When talking in different languages besides English it's pretty different for me. In Spanish I have to switch H for J. There are many more things in every language that are different, and it makes hard to get used to speaking it in that one way.

Native language is Slovenian but I'm not fluent in it even though I live in Slovenia where everyone speaks it. I need to use it between relatives, strangers and other people and places.

I speak English fluently which is self taught and some in school over the years but didn't help knowing all the fucking tenses. I mostly use it online, all my devices are set to English since I more easily understand it over my native language, I also use it if the stranger can only speak English to communicate with me.

Lastly I barely speak German, I taught myself German when I was younger but all of it faded away, learning it once more through school. I've yet to use German anywhere other than school..

I have problems translating from one language to the other despite knowing the word or what it means, except for translating from Slovenian to German.

I would love to learn French or Estonian though.

Native language is Finnish, I speak that with my friends and relatives.
English is 50/50, eventho I use it daily, but learning language is difficult for me.
Estonia, I understad quite well , but I dont know how to speak it.
Swedish, I understad a bit, but not much

Native Languages is German. Mostly talking with my Friends IRL German
I speak fluent English. Mostly talking In-game English. Sometimes IRL too if i meet Tourist in my Favorite Bar
I speak a little bit Turkish cause my Father is from Turkey. sadly cant speak it or understand it very well

Native language is italian.Mostly speaking it in my everyday life,with my friends,when i'm to the cinema,to the theatre,etc...

My 2nd language is english,but I only use it frequently on the Internet.

I can also speak a bit of french,but not that much.I would like to learn a bit of german,just because I love Germany as country.

Reactions: Uncodex
As a new born kiddo in Italy, my first language was italian. I keep using it in all the situations around me in real life, but I try my best to mutate my day and speak mostly: English, my second language, started to learn it when I was 6yo; it wasn't my big aspiration tho in the childhood. When I grew up, I've developed in my mind an abnorm unsensed attraction towards the Japanese culture and its language (11yo). During almost three years I've spent my free time on learning in a not-organised way informations about my "new interest". But then I lost immediately the "passion" when I came at the college. And then I've discovered a pure fun in getting deeper in english.
I've also started learning french in my school when the japa-phase came to live, I can speak it with no many issues, I'm quite strong in the grammar but not in the civilizzation theme.
One of my "dream-points" is starting to understand and talk in my second native language, the bosnian language. Because I'm italian in the blood, but my characteristics are probably the ones of a person from the balkan peninsula.
Edit: bosnian things 'cause my mom is from the bosnia and erzegovina country, and she took me to it for 8 holidays in my life. I would to turn back to my second origin in a nutshell

Last edited:
Reactions: TBotV63
Finnish as native
English as my main shitposting language and to communicate online
I hopefully know enough swedish to pass the mandatory exams in school for it
I can read some german, but struggle producing it myself
I wish I spoke more of the language of ze ruski, since I live literally <50km from the border

Swedish is main. ~10 million speakers worldwide. Knowing swedish makes you able to understand and be understood by the danes and the norwegians, which is nice I guess. It is also an official language in Finland, but the amount of speakers there has been on a steady decline since 1917.

English is second, learnt from the internet, school and a little bit by family. Pretty sure all europeans has it as a mandatory school-subject nowadays, God bless anglo :D

Studied spanish for 5 years. Remember very little.

I grew up speaking Albanian, but due to school, I decided to stick with learning English and completely forgetting my native language. As of now, I just know how to understand Albanian (I can read a little), but I can't speak or write since I don't know how grammar works.

My second language is English. I learned it in school and I'm currently trying to get more neato grammar.

This is my 4th year taking Spanish in school, I picked the language because it seemed easy to me, it pretty much is. I'm probably going to switch to French after exams.

I'm currently learning French from Duolingo and a bit of help from friends.

I'm also trying to learn Dutch from Duolingo and a friend of mine.

After I get some common knowledge of French and Dutch, I might move on to other languages since imo, I find it fun to learn languages.

The reason why I like to learn languages is because you keep finding new things to learn. It'll also be easier to travel to foreign countries and talk to people when you're trying to find a place. Plus, learning other languages wouldn't be as hard since some other languages are kind of the same (like smaller languages, as in, Dutch and Flemish), and grammar wise.

I love foreign languages, I would love to learn as much as I could but I'm too much of a lazybutt to willingly learn anything atm.

Polish is native and primary.
English is understandable, I hope so
German is not understandable,

Russian is not understandable,
Japanese is not understandable.

I'm from Poland so Polish is my first and primary language.
I've been learning English, German and Russian at school but I learned almost nothing besides the first one ._.'' I hate school ;n; pls send help asap
I tried to learn Japanese some years ago on my own but because of some external problems I stopped. Now all I can do is speak some elite wiabu wapanese language desu.

French sounds interesting and exciting, I might want to take a look into it.

Soooo yeee, I would love to learn those languages in near future ~w~
Wish me good luck and that I'll find motivation and will to start learning anything in the next year... x-x

Users who are viewing this thread