Inquiry on rules 1D, 2C, and 2D (1 Viewer)

Y_COMIENZO

Donator

Name Advertising? Spamming?​

Hi, I wanted an elaboration on the rules specified in the title (1D, 2C, 2D)

I've noticed upon my return to Panda 2Fort that there's a user who is continuously changing their name to the exact name, which tends to flood chat.

It appears to be in an effort to advertise the "Ham Mafia" guild though I am not entirely sure.

Regardless, I have attempted to ask why they did it at one point and they ignored it; only responding by doing it again.

I've provided examples of this in the screenshots below. This has been happening every day since I rejoined.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2 MB · Views: 80
  • 3.png
    3.png
    2 MB · Views: 77
  • Agree
Reactions: Nowtoad and _Black
Certain sites provide incentive for users putting a link to the site in their name, such as free benefits. An example of this would be someone named something like "EricAldarez | CSGamblingWebsite . com". The rule targets this specifically - you can't link a website in your name. The ham mafia thing is just some tf2 meme group I think? Since it's not a link to a website and instead just like a harmless clan tag I wouldn't say this is covered by the rule. The "advertising other communities" deal is also covered by this in that you can't name yourself something like "crubf blw.tf".

I also don't know if 2fort has this, but on JB if you try to change your name the server instantly changes your name back to what you joined with resulting in 2 messages about the player changing their name. I would assume that this player was trying to change their name ever so slightly and was getting dinged by this plugin? If they're maliciously spamming it constantly I'd imagine that would be grounds for warnings/punishments for spam.

This is all how I'm interpreting it, of course, and I'm welcome to being told I'm an idiot.

Reactions: Nowtoad
Certain sites provide incentive for users putting a link to the site in their name, such as free benefits. An example of this would be someone named something like "EricAldarez | CSGamblingWebsite . com". The rule targets this specifically - you can't link a website in your name. The ham mafia thing is just some tf2 meme group I think? Since it's not a link to a website and instead just like a harmless clan tag I wouldn't say this is covered by the rule. The "advertising other communities" deal is also covered by this in that you can't name yourself something like "crubf blw.tf".

I also don't know if 2fort has this, but on JB if you try to change your name the server instantly changes your name back to what you joined with resulting in 2 messages about the player changing their name. I would assume that this player was trying to change their name ever so slightly and was getting dinged by this plugin? If they're maliciously spamming it constantly I'd imagine that would be grounds for warnings/punishments for spam.

This is all how I'm interpreting it, of course, and I'm welcome to being told I'm an idiot.
They are spamming it.

2Fort does have it; and when people change their name you will see
-> X changed their name to Y
-> Y changed their name to X

In this case, it's
-> X changed their name to X

It does seem malicious to me, but that's just my take on it after three days of being back there. The user in question appears to be doing it at random, comparable to using a chat bind. As stated in my original thread, they've done it in response to me asking why they've been doing it instead of answering.

• Informative
Reactions: crubf
In this case, it's
This is most likely not intentional by the user.
The name change plugin has a rare bug which causes exactly what you described.
they've done it in response to me asking why they've been doing it instead of answering.
This make it seem like they can control it somehow. If that's the case, we might consider punishing.
But i doubt they can actually control it. Maybe it was just a lucky coincidence when you asked?
I've encountered this bug before and users or even admins had no way of stopping or controlling it in any way.
The only way i could think of intentionally abusing it would be trying out 100 different name and finding one which does it.

This is most likely not intentional by the user.
The name change plugin has a rare bug which causes exactly what you described.

This make it seem like they can control it somehow. If that's the case, we might consider punishing.
But i doubt they can actually control it. Maybe it was just a lucky coincidence when you asked?
I've encountered this bug before and users or even admins had no way of stopping or controlling it in any way.
The only way i could think of intentionally abusing it would be trying out 100 different name and finding one which does it.
Odd.

There's got to be a better name change plugin or something then, no? I mean on Valve servers you can't change your name altogether. I know that's different, but I figure it's worth putting out there.

Users who are viewing this thread