Declined [FF2] The Pistol Nerf (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy

I am Heavy Weapons Guy and this is my suggestion.

Introduction

The goal of this suggestion is for general balance.
Heavy believes the pistol outshines other options by a significant margin.
The Objective is to nerf the pistol to ensure it is more in line with other options available.

Why Does It Need a Nerf?

Currently the Pistol is Crit boosted on both Engineer and Scout. This is rather significant.
Per Bullet the Pistol does 45 Damage when Crit boosted.
Per second the Pistol can fire 6 bullets per seconds making the Pistol do a max DPS of 270.
A Full clip would deliver 12 bullets in 2 seconds delivering a total of 540.
For comparison the stock minigun can deal a max of 540 DPS at point blank range without crits. However the Pistol will never realistically output the same damage as the mini-gun at point blank range due to the pistol having double the bullet spread of the minigun.
However Heavy has 3 issues with the pistol which Heavy will split up into 3 sections.

First Issue
The Pistol outclasses both classes primary weapon damage. The Following Figures Have been taken off the TF2 Wiki.

The Scattergun can deal a max of 105 at point blank if all 10 pellets hit.
The Shotgun can deal a max of 90 at point blank range if all 10 pellets hit.
When Crit Boosted both can deliver a max of 180.
The pistol only needs to hit 3 shots to out damage the shotgun and scattergun.
The pistol only need to hit 4 shots to be on power with the Crit boosted shotgun and scattergun.

This difference gets more ridiculous when reload is considered.
The pistol takes 1.035 seconds to reload for Engineers and 1.005 seconds for scouts.
The Shotgun takes 0.87 seconds for the first bullet and 0.51 seconds for consecutive bullets for the Engineer.
The Scattergun takes 0.7 seconds for the first bullet and 0.5 seconds for consecutive bullets for the Scout.
Additionally in-between shots the scattergun and shotgun takes a 0.625 second delay before the next shot, the pistol's is 0.15 second delay.

These numbers means that overtime the pistol will dominate the shotgun and scattergun.
The following was math done by Heavy, Take with pinch of salt.

The Pistol can deal a max 1080 damage in 4.335 seconds on the Engineer.
The Shotgun can deal a max of 1080 in 9.45 seconds on the Engineer.
The Scattergun can deal a max of 1260 damage in 9.45 seconds.
So In conclusion of the first issue, the pistol easily out damages the primaries overtime quickly.

Second Issue.

The Pistol being Crit boosted ensures that it can deal 45 damage across the map if a bullet hits.
This is problematic due to the spam ability of the pistol, especially on the Engineer.
Heavy is not going to vomit up more figures as Heavy will just say that Engineer and Scout shouldn't be able spam bullets dealing 45 damage across the map as although the 50:1 bullet spread definitely impacts the pistol at long ranges, A player can still be able to rely upon at least 3 bullets hitting most of the time allowing for 135 damage to be dealt across the map.
This second issue doesn't really occur frequently with Scout as the Scout is usually in mid to close range with the Freak most of the time, However the Engineer is usually situated far from the Freak and the Engineer has 200 bullets in his pistol reserve allowing for Texan mass spam.

Third Issue (Scout Exclusive)
When Heavy first found the third issue Heavy decided this suggestion had to be made as it make no sense to Heavy.
The Scout unlike Engineer has 2 other pistols available as secondaries, the Winger and the Pretty Boy's Pocket Pistol.
What is bizarre about the other 2 pistols is that they aren't Crit boosted but Mini-Crit boosted despite these pistols already having smaller clip sizes which limits their damage.
If the stock pistol is to be Crit boosted surly it would make sense to have the other pistols which already have their damage output limited to be Crit boosted to?
This is an enigma to Heavy.

Proposed Changes

Heavy would like to refer anyone seeking elaboration on the proposed solutions to go to the "Heavy Amplifier Nerf Suggestion" as this will provide explanations behind the 3 proposed suggestions as the same explanation provided to the Minigun can be applied to the Pistol.

Heavy will note the following:
The max damage of the pistol without any buffs is 246 per clip at close range.
The max damage of the pistol with Mini Crits is 360 per clip at close range.
The max damage of the pistol with Crits is 540 per clip at close range.
And Mini-Crits bullet damage ranges from 20-30, Normal bullet damage range is 8-22.
Mini-Crits don't experience fall off but they do experience damage ramp up in close range.

Conclusion

Heavy believes that the Pistol is deserving of some sort of nerf to bring to in line with the other secondaries and ensures that it does not out compete primary weapons as the figures do heavily suggest some sort of change is needed in Heavy's opinion.

There's already a knockback nerf for the Pistol pending, it doesn't need a second or third nerf along.

Reactions: Aerial
Heavy's issue with the pistol is not knockback but the pure damage it outputs, it outclasses engineer's primaries in pure damage overtime.

In Heavy's opinion it shouldn't have crits when the other pistols in scout's arsenal have mini crits.

Can't really confirm that the scout pistol is crit boosted, but what I can confirm is that I always use the pistol as engi to deal damage, secluding the shotgun I chose for those rare moments I'm the last one alive, so there is some logic in that.

And it doesn't quite make sense when you think about it - even at close range I still opt for my pistol over my shotgun or even the melee, so perhaps it really does need some tuning down in terms of damage, but then again, it's knockback should be nerfed eventually, so maybe that'll make it fine? However if the scout's normal pistol is crit boosted while the other pistols are not, then that just doesn't make sense in the slightest

Reactions: Heavy
I like the pistol as it is, It's neither broken nor weak. It's good as it is.

Keep in mind, Knockback nerf included the pistol, So its already getting nerfed.

I'd say we wait for that knockback nerf first, then if the pistols are still considered OP we can come back to this suggestion?

Reactions: Heavy
It is clear majority rules in favour of keeping the pistol crit boosted for now.

Would the people be opposed to Heavy making 2nd suggestion to buff the scouts other pistols to be crit boosted in order to ensure they can better compete with the stock pistol?

Reactions: Aerial
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread