dr_cocainum remake (1 Viewer)

Stabbin

Gameserver Admin
Staff member
Gameserver Admin
Donator
Development
8cbz.png

This has been requested by multiple community members, so let's make it happen. The current 'xmas' version that we're using is old, outdated and full of bugs. There are better versions out there, but the better ones are server exclusives.. Let's make our own!

All we need now is input from YOU! Yes YOU, right there, behind the screen. We value your opinion and would like your opinion on what should stay or be changed.

So far the idea has been to use the Mayann Project assets to spice up the map with a new look. Next to this we'd fix performance issues related to how the map is optimized. And last but not least, fix the known exploits related to multiple traps. This all whilst keeping exactly the same layout and gameplay elements the current running version has.

So now we need your opinion, leave suggestions! Should the map have more minigames? Should some trap be changed, if yes why? You get the idea! We're looking forward to what people are looking for in this remake.

That's all, thanks.

Stabbin.

I think the map should have the following tweaks:

• Jump-crouching into the beam, the trap after the 50/50 doors, will push you back to the main path again. Bhoppers can use this to get to a high enough velocity, which can give them the opportunity to skip the next trap.
  • Regarding the three platforms that ascend and descend, I suggest that the middle platform has a gap between it and the solid ground, since one can stand on the edge of it, without risking their lives. It is possible to land on the non-lethal ground, if the middle platform disappears. This change will force the players to jump on the platform, instead of walking on it, when it stands still on ground-level.
  • Players can grief each other, where one has to jump from platform to platform (the trap after the spinning obstacle). Same as previous suggestion, there ought to be a gap between the solid ground and the first and last platform.
I'd like to hear what you think about these suggestions!

Looking at the exploits, we have a lot to deal with right now.

To start off as likely the most common one we see happen: the exploit where BLU players can go down the map area. We could simply add an invisible wall or just increase the current one.

Another exploit I would like to mention as I've seen some of the players on the RED team do is the Soviet Run minigame one. When a player chooses the Soviet Run minigame, while others simply remain at the water pool on the start of the map, all players get teleported into the minigame with the exception of these mentioned players, and after a few seconds, they leave that area and get teleported right into that minigame. This is mostly done for the sake purpose of completely avoiding the motivator on the Soviet Run by waiting the necessary time for it to get to a part where it's safe to go onto the minigame, and leading to more delays. For some reason the map doesn't spawn the players who stay on the water, and I don't know how it works, but if there was a way to make it possible to spawn them, it would be great.

I also agree on removing the 3 door trap (or maybe replace it with a new trap) as not only it causes delay, but there's that exploit of when facing one of the doors and taunting with another player (e.g. the Rock Paper Scissors one), the second player gets to the other side of the trap, even if that door is one of the doors that kill you.

One more to mention, the trees exploit. It's not exactly a big issue, but players can get to the top of some trees. This can be easily fixed by just removing them.

the map is pretty good but this is what i think it needs beside the things that Danny already mentioned:
  • An insta win option
  • Something to suck down people in the second trap so bhoppers can't skip it
  • Some moving platforms in the skyfall minigames so you can't just stand in one spot and win
  • A trap to replace the 3 doors because that shit is just there to waste time
  • Various fixes to the exploits as mentioned by Frosty

idk lemme know

I can't really think of anything else that hasn't already been mentioned above, another one would maybe increase the explosion radius of the last trap as it is basically pointless.

• Agree
Reactions: Stabbin and Nos
Also, I remember previous versions (or different versions) of the map having a trigger for blue for the spinning obstacle trap AFTER the 3 doors. Maybe have a trap there for blue to activate also.

Bump, to get it back into the recent threads on the forums, quick question: what would you all like to see aesthetically?

Well, putting the exploits aside, I would like to see some more minigames. Preferably a spinning one (like with the psykopat_fix one). With some sort of theme and music in it. I'll think of some more detailed ideas if people agree to this.

I don't really want to ruin the beauty of the map, being 'simplistic', by suggesting to change the layout, but I kind of feel like I want to do that anyway. I would like to see a whole texture revamp with what you've suggested about the Mayann Update. I think that'd be really good looking. If it does not fit the general theme of Cocainum then perhaps move to something more simple but perhaps not default textures.

Also might wanna change the entirety of the spawn area as you are able to gather a ton of speed (even though I admit it is fun) from the start that can allow you to get a huge advantage even able to skip the third trap (with breakable floor trap in account). I also think a revamp of the spawn in general would appeal a lot more to players especially newer faces.

• Agree
Reactions: Frosty and Stabbin
Bump, to get it back into the recent threads on the forums, quick question: what would you all like to see aesthetically?
I suppose you meant aesthetically so in that regards i think the Mayann theme might work perfectly since the majority of traps in the map are disappearing platforms or moving ones.

A lot of things might be replaced:
  • adding a very deep pit in one of the traps with the disappearing floor
  • replacing the snow that kills you if you fall off with water
  • replacing the tiny platforms with stuff like logs or lily pads
  • replacing the vertical spinning rectangles(second to last trap) with some giant axes or something similar
  • making it so some traps impale you like an old mayan trap
  • the suspended part can be replaced with a suspended bridge
  • the last trap can be replaced with some arrow shooting traps attached to the walls
Also i think that the map might look better during the day if you decide to follow that theme.

Reactions: Stabbin
I'm late, aren't I?

Some of my suggestions:

* More Minigames (Spinner, some sort of race against blue (keep soviet run its great), maybe 9 square, etc.)

* Reduce the 3 doors into 2

* After the 3 doors there's a spinning obstacle, other versions of this map have that as a trap so when blue activates it, the obstacle spins faster to kill the red, maybe add this.

* Remove xmas theme and make it summer (e.g remove trees, snow, change skybox to sunny, etc.)

* Get a new spawn Maybe, a little bit changes, etc. Make it unique than other cocainum versions.

* Before the 3 doors there's a pit trap, make it so when it's activated it sucks you in if you're above the trap mid-air, you can literally skip the trap using bhop and not fall, making the pit suck the red in would be good.

* Increase Range of the last trap, since it's basically useless and you can get around it easily by just walking.

* Maybe add some fitting music to the map? Don't add repetitive music, maybe add 2-3 random music and each one of the music starts playing at the start of the map, it shouldn't be too annoying or too loud, etc.

* Patch the exploit for falling down the map by adding invisible wall to the side, there's another exploit where blue can get on top of the map's ledge and at the end strafe on the big platform around the invisible wall to spawn in the red side, so when red goes soviet, skyfall, humi, or 50/50, blue will be on red's side and can do whatever they want with red, maybe even kill them.

So far these are the only suggestions I have :D

I'll be streaming me mapping for this remake starting sometime next week. I'll stream pretty much everyday if there is enough interest. We'll start by going over all suggested feedback live, and as we make changes my server will automatically host the current version of the map we're working on. I've setup automated offsite compiling (compile server), and automated uploading and changing of my testserver's level. So that changes we make to the map will be live within compile time.

Let me know if you wanna join (pm me or something). Streaming will most likely take place from noon to evening.
Hope to all have you mapping with me :)!

Users who are viewing this thread