Concerning DR_DUNGEON_BETA and(or) DR_CASTLE_STEVEH_2 discussion about removal (1 Viewer)

Which maps should be removed from the DR map list? (You can vote for both)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madact

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Contributor
Hello fellow pandas :pandastunned:
I am here to address some current map glitches that are accruing on the deathrun servers #9 and #22 that need to be removed.
We have asked for assistance before hand wondering if that getting someone to fix these problems on the map so we can keep the maps, but it looks like this is not going to be an option.
I'm going to go into full detail so those who don't know these issues know the concern. You don't have to vote either way, I just thought it might be nice to make it clear why these have been suggested up for removal.
Support would be helpful as we'd like to get @Kevin 's attention ;)

DR_DUNGEON_BETA

Thanks @[Creepz] for the video :)

There is a glitch (or design, it might be the map makers intention for this) that stops players continuing through the tunnel if so many people try to get through it. Personally I think it was designed to stop death from getting over rushed but it's become a problem where people troll by standing there stopping the players from continuing the map. Then the time runs out (Or the maps time slayer appears) killing everyone stuck there because one person is trolling about.
I have tried to deal with this situation before. Those who didn't understand the warning get slayed. Usually about 5 players get slayed at the beginning because they don't understand me, but it's something I had to do and don't enjoy doing.
It's a big concern for when an admin isn't on, but usually the players try to rtv out so the problem doesn't continue. Hence, the map needs to be removed if it's avoided because of a glitch that stops the gameplay entirely.

DR_CASTLE_STEVEH_2

68604d12c60d244608b10fe6ef9352de.png

Red = Player Movement
Black = Teleport to finish
(Image thanks to @TreatFly

There is an exploit where you can bhop from start to finish with one/two bhops. It basically skips past all the traps and is easy to do within 20 seconds. Hence if someone knows how to do it, continues like this till either an admin gets on or people rtv out of it. May I also note, this map has caused the most bans out of DR. Evo, Treat, Broski, Lukas and any other admin who has had to deal with this map knows that it is a handful. But not also that, they can bhop along the floor skipping traps that way or skipping outside the map so they cannot be harmed and can sit there for a good 7 mins till the timer runs out. This map really needs to be removed x.x

If there are any questions ask away. Support is very much needed for this :) Thanks for reading :hoof:

Reactions: Redspike
Should add an option for neither if they like the maps the way they are. Kinda feels like the poll is making it mandatory that one of the maps is going. Just my thoughts :p

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: Joe and Lukas
That kind of occured to me as well but really, who would vote no at this point. I see this as basically just a formality so that when the votes have good support they can be removed; and perhaps if one of two has many more votes then the other one might stay.

I guess you're right mermite. If enough people express here that they want a keep both option then they should at least tell me why here first. If enough people express why and have a pretty good reason to then I'll put up an option.
The main purpose for the removal of these map is to make it easier for players to play the game as it should be played without admin assistance or RTV.

These sort of maps kind of make me dread being an admin because I end up having to punish people. I don't enjoy slaying and banning players like it's going out of fashion. Plus sometimes I just want to play...With castle steveh, I never get to play it cause quarter - half of the players are jumping around the map.
It makes it feel like a chore.

• Agree
Reactions: mermite and Lukas
There is a couple of more maps where you can bhop to skip traps.
Examples:
dr_cocainum (not too big of a problem) you can bhop through the glass box thingy (no idea what it is called) and avoid the trap.
dr_industrial (this is a big issue) you can bhop through the whole beginning of the map and in the box room as well. (Luckily, not too many players knows about this)
I'll get videos of it when I get to them.

Unlike Steveh however these maps can be easily dealt with and many people choose not to skip because they are legitimately good maps. Steveh however you can skip the "entire" map with one well placed bhop and even then the map itself is badly made with many traps not making any sense at all.

There is a couple of more maps where you can bhop to skip traps.
Examples:
dr_cocainum (not too big of a problem) you can bhop through the glass box thingy (no idea what it is called) and avoid the trap.
dr_industrial (this is a big issue) you can bhop through the whole beginning of the map and in the box room as well. (Luckily, not too many players knows about this)
I'll get videos of it when I get to them.

Oh we know you don't have to go out of your way to show us. Those maps though are pretty difficult to bhop skip traps on and not many people know about it. Since I've been told bhop is what makes panda DR servers unique we can't really get rid of bhop either.
We're more on the topic for ones that break the gameplay dramatically with little effort. It's best we not swamp kevin! We'll end up with little maps xD

Darkenergy is a really bad one as well but who even cares about that map.

• Agree
Reactions: Madact
It is possible to disable the bounce effect.

But why is the bounce enabled anyways?
With it, you can skip traps and you can be where you aren't supposed to be..
well, i saw it in late 2010-2011 in CSS, there was always bhop on the deathrun servers

well, i saw it in late 2010-2011 in CSS, there was always bhop on the deathrun servers
It would be nice, if the bounce multiplier's value can be lowered to 0.75, so that people can't bounce as high as they fall.
The default value is 1.00 for all players.
sm_bounce_mult [target] 0.75

Apparently I've heard you guys where busy last night and just changed the max speed on what the bhop can go.
That wasn't the issue, please don't think because you've changed that that's suddenly going to solve everything in this post as well.
If you've done something in the height as what danny said in the comment above then that's a whole lot better. It would solve Castle Steveh...Winter Valley...other maps that can be abused with bhop. But dugeon is still an issue as that doesn't involve bhop.

Just to note, I got reports about dr2's jump is different than dr1's. I've tested it and it seems to be different but I've told Kevin and he says they're the same settings. If anyone has the same issue can you comment here so I don't feel completely insane :p K thanks <3

• Agree
Reactions: Mertes
Yes, it's changed only on Deathrun 2. Thought it was going to change on Deathrun 1 as well, though.

Greetings!

I am the author of dr_castle_steveh.

The map has been at version 2c for some time, now. One of the changes I made was to put massive clip brushes above all of Death's walls. One server operator was using a plugin that made engineers teleport forwards a few spaces when they attempted to build a sentry, so they were able to bypass the trigger_hurt brushes on top of the wall and go straight to the end of the map.

I'm not sure what kind of bunny hopping thing is going on, on your servers, but from what I've read here it sounds a bit more powerful than other bunny hopping modifications I've encountered. If you update the map to version 2c, then you won't have any problems with players skipping the whole map anymore. And you'll benefit from all the cool additions I've made since version 2, like some new minigames. http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/180295

You could put a config file for the map on your game server that either modifies, or disables the bunny hopping for this map. Given that bunny hopping plugins are incorporated to provide players with variety, adjusting settings on a per-map basis to make the map a bit more challenging would be in line with that goal.

With regards to dr_dungeon_beta - BONNOR seems to have used decompilation protection in his Deathrun maps, so I can't find out what's causing the problem. But I can tell you that on the server I frequent, we don't have that problem, and we even have player pushing disabled. I think there is a trigger_push in that tunnel to help the boulder, but it might be affecting your clients somehow. The Game Banana page for the map is here: http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/182471. I know he would value your feedback.

Thanks for hosting my map. If you need any help, please contact me.

Greetings!

I am the author of dr_castle_steveh.

The map has been at version 2c for some time, now. One of the changes I made was to put massive clip brushes above all of Death's walls. One server operator was using a plugin that made engineers teleport forwards a few spaces when they attempted to build a sentry, so they were able to bypass the trigger_hurt brushes on top of the wall and go straight to the end of the map.

I'm not sure what kind of bunny hopping thing is going on, on your servers, but from what I've read here it sounds a bit more powerful than other bunny hopping modifications I've encountered. If you update the map to version 2c, then you won't have any problems with players skipping the whole map anymore. And you'll benefit from all the cool additions I've made since version 2, like some new minigames. http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/180295

You could put a config file for the map on your game server that either modifies, or disables the bunny hopping for this map. Given that bunny hopping plugins are incorporated to provide players with variety, adjusting settings on a per-map basis to make the map a bit more challenging would be in line with that goal.

With regards to dr_dungeon_beta - BONNOR seems to have used decompilation protection in his Deathrun maps, so I can't find out what's causing the problem. But I can tell you that on the server I frequent, we don't have that problem, and we even have player pushing disabled. I think there is a trigger_push in that tunnel to help the boulder, but it might be affecting your clients somehow. The Game Banana page for the map is here: http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/182471. I know he would value your feedback.

Thanks for hosting my map. If you need any help, please contact me.
last time i checked it it was still the old version ;)
anyways, i updated it now, thank you for telling it.
no clue whats the issue with the dungeon map since player pushing is disabled on our servers but i'll see what i do about it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread