Boom, headshot ^_^ (1 Viewer)

Hisu

Hi!

I'm 30 and I hail from Russia; I have a husband and a kid. My ma was Jewish, my pa was Russian, so I guess I'm something in-between (though Jewish orthodoxes say that Jewish heritage is passed on through female lineage so I might as well be a Jew, lol). Currently, I live in Moscow, but I travel once in a while as is required for my work — I'm a systems engineer, working for Aeroflot company (russian state airlines).

I like science fiction (the more "serious" the better; try Babylon 5 series to get my meaning), technology and books; was always a geek as far as I can remember — yep, that one shabby quiet girl with huge spectacles, that's me circa 1991-2000. My favourite music is space ambient (try Hecq and James Hannigan), but, frankly, I listen to everything melodic, from pop to speed metal and even noisecore (yeeesh, there are few melodic pieces even in that genre, though it might seem to be a contradiction). I have no favourite TV shows as I don't watch TV. I like anime a bit, but I never could develop much of a liking for it, so my title list is quite short. I'm also a furry, a roleplayer and a biker. No, disregard the latest, I'm not riding since 2005, so I don't think I'm entitled to call myself a biker any longer.

That pretty much sums it up about me.
Though... wait!
I have one relevant thing to brag about! I'm one of the few players with military training here and probably the only real sniper; served in IDF (Tzahal) in 2002-2004. I can also say it's much harder to snipe in the game than IRL, if anyone's interested.

So, it was Hisu, the most annoying player on dm_duel, signing off ^_^

hai

Baby-panda-saying-hello.gif

Hai and welcome

Damn though.
What's the name of your kid ? Curiosity...

"I have no favourite TV shows as I don't watch TV. I like anime a bit, but I never could develop much of a liking for it, so my title list is quite short" : Try spongebob lel

Yup, belatedly hi ^_^
ohai.jpg

Electrod, her name's Elisabeth (pronounced as "Yelizaveta" in russian). And I don't like spongebob >_<

Reactions: Kevin and Electrod

You know you like it.

I always thought sniping IRL would be more difficult because you have that heavy gun weighing you down. Unless of course you're stationary and the gun is on a stand of some sort, which the Sniper is not; he moves around constantly.

At books, have you read any English or American literature I would be interested in discussing with you?

Which IDF 'section' (dunno how to call it) were you in? Givati? Golani?

Oh, and שלום!

EvoWarrior5, it's actually not. The weight of the rifle doesn't matter much in sniping — in reality, you never bunnyhop around carrying your weapon, you hide, then sit tight and aim carefully, 'cause, in modern war, making two shots from the same spot is like writing HERE I AM YOU SUCKERS with fireworks. Of course, there are more tricks to sniping IRL than in games (pose, breath control, heartbeat control and recoil compensation to name a few), but they come naturally as you train, unlike in said games (though it may be only for me ^_^).

About books — yes, there might be a few. I like short stories by Robert Sheсkley (Watchbird, The Accountant, Citizen in Space and a series about Arnold and Gregor: Ghost V, Lifeboat Mutiny and a few others), Henry Kuttner (especially Hogben and Gallegher series) and can name a few novels I like, too: Tau Zero by Poul Anderson, Bill the Galactic Hero by Harry Harrison and Pern novels by Anne McCaffrey — those come right off the bat; maybe later I can remember more ^_^
Fantasy, I like a lot: all Middle Earth works by J.R.R.Tolkien (even tried to read some of his linguistic essays, but failed miserably), all Krynn works by Weis and Hickman, MYTH Adventures by Robert Asprin, some of Stormbringer novels by Michael Moorcock... honestly, I can't remember them all ^_^

Ron, שבת שלום, if anything ^_^
I served in Nahal; I'd like to not elaborate on this more, please >_<
By the way, Golani don't accept women as front-line units, AFAIR. Though my memory is kinda hazy; it was long ago, after all ^_^

Last edited:
Nothing of that sounds familiar to me. Is it classical literature or modern?

Sci-fi and fantasy circa 1950-1970, mostly.
You definitely should read those, by the way. You missed a lot if you didn't ^_^

1. You are Russian. LOVE IT because your language is so nice
2. Female, you don't see many females on the internet
3. Works with big ass planes and stuff
5. has served in the military
6. Furry is best furry

12/10 would play with

Btw hai i'm kitty cat.

Reactions: Kevin
Kitty Cat :3, hi and thanks a lot ^_^ I must admit I'm prone to flattery ^_^
But, for the record, I don't actually work with planes themselves, I'm working in support for schedule maintenance routine (a big fat multi-component distributed real-time program that helps (re)assign flight dates, planes, crews, weight balancing sets, etc etc) and I only get to see the planes on those rare business trips ^_^

BTW, what was the #4?

Hey Hisu, good to see you around here.
I always thought sniping in real life would be harder. Compensation, wind speed (From long distanced, do you actually have to consider Coriolis effect? I heard about this and I think so.. But I'm not an expert on this argument, so let's jump over)
Anyways, I'm glad you joined us

Hey Hisu, good to see you around here.
You too ^_^

I always thought sniping in real life would be harder. Compensation, wind speed (From long distanced, do you actually have to consider Coriolis effect? I heard about this and I think so.. But I'm not an expert on this argument, so let's jump over)
First off, there are smart scopes that do all those little calculations, if you really need to go for a long-distance shot.
Second, in modern war, there are no snipers in the field: nowadays, a cluster bomb launched to recon drone highlight is more cost effective than risking literal YEARS of investment you have to consider if you deploy a sniper. Of course, there are some that still train for long-distance, but the majority (myself included) usually work with ranges under 500m (often even under 300m), in city environment.

Anyways, I'm glad you joined us
Thanks ^_^
I actually joined more than a year ago, but oh well ^_^

Reactions: Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread