Accepted Banned for having my surname abbreviation in nickname (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niegard

SourceBans Ban URL: https://bans.panda-community.com/index.php?p=banlist&advSearch=Niegard&advType=name
Name of your Banned Steam Account: Niegard
Steam ID 32: https://steamcommunity.com/id/KingChadBestChad/
Date and Time of the Ban: 2022-08-14 14:15:55
Reason about the Ban: Refusing to change name
Admin that Banned you: AnOwOn
Why should you receive a unban for the ban / gag / mute / teamban: It's simple. My nickname is abbreviation of my surname - Niegard. Niegard. Friends call me Niegard because its simpler. Admin said that he didn't care that this is my surname. He changed my nickname then kicked me and finally banned. I know that my surname begins on later N like n-word but come on. My surname has existed since the times of the Polish nobility. Listen, I won't accept discrimination because i have my surname.I want report AnOwOn for discrimantion and power abuse.
20220814161018_1.jpg
20220814160810_1.jpg
20220814161434_1.jpg
20220814161352_1.jpg
20220814161647_1.jpg

Good afternoon, Niegard. Let us get this over with then.

Your username was discussed on the Panda DR admin team server and both active admins at the moment agreed upon that name not being acceptable due to its pronunciation clearly being similar to the n-word. And it was truly problematic as it kept attracting racist jokes and jokes about the n-word, in fact, there is a gag appeal right now which has been made due to someone starting borderline racist jokes based on your username. So I agree with the rest of the DR staff team's opinion that the name should not be allowed.

I believe you are also omitting information on purpose, as well as misplacing the screenshots to give a completely different version of the facts. I gave you 4 chances to change your name:
  • I first asked you to kindly change your name for the same reason I mentioned above. This was after confirming with the rest of the staff team that said name was rather problematic.
  • After a couple of rounds, I asked you to change your name again seeming as you had either ignored my previous request or simply did not see it. I also renamed you to "Changeyourname" in order to try and get your attention. At this point, you started taking it as a joke and started messing around even when it was now the second time I asked you for that name change, after that, I kicked you so you could be certain I was serious about the whole ordeal.
  • After you rejoined and I noticed you had not changed your name, I renamed you once more and you then started complaining it was your surname, to which I replied that I did not care, because we get all sorts of excuses from rulebreakers, not in order to discriminate you. Your nickname is troublesome and you had already been warned three times already.
  • You then rejoined to get rid of the rename, which I got to doing again and warned you one last time, you continued to take the piss.
  • After a while, you rejoined AGAIN to get rid of the rename once more, still keeping your original username. At this point, I had already warned you more than enough times and given you enough chances to change your name and you kept wasting them, so I banned you for 720 minutes (first punishment in the ban time stack).
I consider I was both lenient and patient throughout all of this situation. I never misused my powers, only renaming, kicking and banning with the purpose of solving this problem and not for personal benefit in any way. And, lastly, I was never discriminatory towards you nor any other individuals by requesting this name change, as it was not about it being your surname but rather about its previously mentioned similarity in pronunciation with the n-word.

To sum up, I will not state whether this ban should stay or if it should be lifted, as I will leave that up to the Full Admin's discretion and choice. I do think, however, that this ban is well-deserved after I gave you so many chances and you were wholly uncooperative about it, as a simple name change to even your full surname, would have avoided this situation to escalate to a ban.

Man. Everyday man learns that living in eastern europe is not that bad. Atleast no-one says that your surname abbreviation
sounds racist and attracts racist jokes. I have listened my entire surname and still it sounds "racist". Give me a perm. My surname/surname abbreviation sounds like n-word and I don't care because its my surname. I am not ashamed of this. Btw by the definiton its discrimination. Surname-shaming. Thats new.

Man. Everyday man learns that living in eastern europe is not that bad. Atleast no-one says that your surname abbreviation
sounds racist and attracts racist jokes. I have listened my entire surname and still it sounds "racist". Give me a perm. My surname/surname abbreviation sounds like n-word and I don't care because its my surname. I am not ashamed of this. Btw by the definiton its discrimination. Surname-shaming. Thats new.

I will only say this comment is completely childish, and I might add that so was your reaction to my previous message (and probably the one which will be given to this one as well). Instead of trying to make amends, reaching a middle-ground or just attempting to talk things out; you keep saying this is discrimination and playing the victim by saying "Give me a perm" even when I have reassured that it is not in anyway a form of racism/xenophobia/discrimination towards you or any individual in this community, and it only has to do with the reasons I stated before, proving it is a troublesome username since it creates situations related to racist jokes.

I will not be replying to this thread any more unless it is required for me to do so. I will allow any of the full admins in the DR staff team to take it from here.

I will only say this comment is completely childish, and I might add that so was your reaction to my previous message (and probably the one which will be given to this one as well). Instead of trying to make amends, reaching a middle-ground or just attempting to talk things out; you keep saying this is discrimination and playing the victim by saying "Give me a perm" even when I have reassured that it is not in anyway a form of racism/xenophobia/discrimination towards you or any individual in this community, and it only has to do with the reasons I stated before, proving it is a troublesome username since it creates situations related to racist jokes.

I will not be replying to this thread any more unless it is required for me to do so. I will allow any of the full admins in the DR staff team to take it from here.
Firstly my entire surname is quite offensive in english pronunciation. Quite unfortunate,however,its polish surname (parts of it too) and polish pronunciation applies here. Imagine situation that I read any surname in polish pronunciation. (btw It is normal that I read your surname in your pronunciation not mine!) There is chance that some surnames (or parts of it) could offensive for me and my nation. We don't choose surnames or parts of it. Langauge and culture are important. There is town located Nygård and Nygaard, Nygård, or Nygard are surnames of Scandinavian origin. Would do you ban them for "offensive" surname or being "provocative" for racists ? No. It isn't offensive in their mind (players with these nicknames). It isnt't offensive in Scandinavian culture.It isn't offensive at all. It is name of the town and surnames.
Secondly, I have no influence on other people. They can joke about my surname (or part of it). It dosen't mean that my nickname is bad. It means that person using it as racist joke is bad.
I ignored "change name" "suggestion" because it was ridiculous in my point of view. Why? Because It is other people fault. Not mine. Moreover, nickname isn't offensive. It can sound like n-word but it isn't n-word. You should try to focus more on punishing people who uses it as tool for spreading racism. Finally, as i said, I won't change my name. I won't take responsibility for other people behaviour. There is no middle-ground in this situation.Sorry.

I know that this is english-speaking server. So what? Niegard is of polish orgin. English pronunciation isn't applied here no matter what. Only polish. Reading English surname in russian pronunciation on russian server is wrong for example. It is serious pronunciation mistake and It can be offensive. I feel little offended because my surname (or parts of it) isn't offensive at all.

Hi @Niegard

I've unbanned you now. I believe this situation was blown way out of proportion. It's unfortunate that the English pronunciation of your name causes others to make racist comments. I kindly ask you to change your name to your full name to avoid further issues with others in our English game servers. I understand that this may be something you would like to avoid as you most likely prefer the abbreviation. However, this has already triggered others to make racist comments and I believe its a fair compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread