Declined add rule against sex related topics (1 Viewer)

Should there come a rule against sex related topics in chat?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadmark

Hi,

I was playing earlier today and someone was constantly talking (in chat) about sexual related topics.
I reported him, and after a while added 1 of the admins as a friend to ask about what can be done.
Both of us went through the rules again and we can't find anything that says it's not allowed,
So he figured he couldn't do anything and advised me to make a suggestion for it.

What i'm proposing is:
Add a rule that bans (or restricts) the talk about constant sex related topics.
If it's that important then do it outside of the game, it's not appropriate inside the game.

• sex organ or functions of them
  • doing it with someone/something (family/friend/animal/toy for example)
  • wanting to do it with someone/something
  • talk about the sex organ of someone else (family members or friends for example)
Please remember these are only examples and not the full list (i could never make a full list)

If the spoiler itself is against the rules i'm sorry, but i couldn't come up with anything else as an example (had to ask a friend for help making the list in the first place)

• Haha
  • Indifferent
Reactions: Matth and Gold
You can mute the player

Reactions: vinny and Matth
I don’t see a real reason to add a specific line of text/ rule about that as it can also be in little iffy to enforce. I would think common sense would be a thing but I get it, those type of things can be in the grey area at times. I’ll be honest I lightly enforced it when I was still an admin and it came to topic/ banter from people on the server when they talked about something that’s somewhat disturbing and inappropriate ( especially if there were kids visible on the server, most prominently pointed out with those on the mics).

I primarily believe it would fall under Offensive Language/ General Disruptive Behavior ( mostly talking about game related things and griefing). I would find it more of a dilemma of whether it’s in an inappropriate context or not. It’s like most things, if people politely ask you to stop talking about it/ find it uncomfortable and share that thought then the person/people that are using those type of language could self censor and ease on that. It would be pretty easy to enforce, but undestanding admins can’t be on 24/7 to police the servers is a problem as well as the players and their different maturity level ( which for the most part can’t be calculated because of course it’s our “online self” not our “real self”).

The other main concern would be how the reporting of this would go, especially if it involves multiple individual(s) it would be a case by case scenario. I would say it would be more obvious to see where the line/ inappropriate dialogue occurs through chat logs but seeing a demo of the event(s) occurring would also be a little more difficult.

Reactions: vinny and Gold
By the time I was still playing deathrun, I remember encountering a certain player that had the fame of writing "explicit content" targetting specific players. And when I mean explicit, I reallly mean EXPLICIT, like it came off of a "hardcore fanfic". I'm not gonna give examples of what he wrote (not just because it's inappropriate, but also since I cannot remember what he said exactly), but this made a significant amount of players very uncomfortable, especially the ones whose content was directed torwards.

Though there was nothing directly mentined on the rules about it, this situation was brought up by other admins since they were unsure what to do about the player. Even though it was clearly affecting the server's environment, this type of behaviour didn't fall under any rule whatsoever, which was also probably the reason why he kept on doing it (despite being warned more than a few times by other admins). Since I believe that an admin shouldn't turn a blind eye on a unpleasant situation happening on the server just because it isn't directly written in the rules, I ended up enforcing the idea that he should be given a gag, in which the admins agreed with me and thus he ended up with one.

But despite being more of a "ban rule" rather than a "communication rule", we still reached the conclusion that it fit under the general disruptive behaviour one. So my idea was to either:
1) add, at the very least, a topic bringing it up on the "general disruptive behaviour" rule;
2) edit the "offensive language" rule in order to generalize unsettling behaviour. For example:
a) Inappropriate/Offensive language
You may not use any offensive, or overall any unsettling, language, which might disrupt the server's environment. This includes inappropriate communication (nsfw content); insults; excessive raging; disrespecting admins or other players or provoking them; or any kind of discrimination. Racism is strictly forbidden.

I'm leaning more torwards the second option. Although if we're talking about small banter or a simple joke, in my personal opinion, unless it isn't affecting certain players or disrupting the server's environment, then it should be given a pass. Otherwise, in situations like the one I mentioned, a gag or mute should be put in place.

I opened a discussion regarding something similar to this not too long ago. The result was that we weren't going to add it to the rules. However if the things said are overly vulgar/inappropriate it's not allowed. This would include vulgar slang or detailed descriptions of certain sexual acts for example. Sex itself as a topic shouldn't be banned.

If you encounter something you believe is too vulgar and inappropriate to be said on the server feel free to create a report here.

Sounds like some christian mom had their little Timmy find out about the birds and the bees in a random TF2 game instead of the holy way :( :(

Making the rules extremely strict isn't a good idea, as @Ranger Ciri said, you can just mute him in-game.

Sounds like some christian mom had their little Timmy find out about the birds and the bees in a random TF2 game instead of the holy way :( :(
can you give us more of a useless comment instead of just trying to be a prick and making fun of someone?
It already was embarrassing and awkward enough to start this without your comment

Making the rules extremely strict isn't a good idea, as @Ranger Ciri said, you can just mute him in-game.
as i said in what i propose it doesn't have to be extremely strict.
just clear enough that admin's don't need to 2nd guess if it would be right to mute someone.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaz, Gold and vinny
can you give us more of a useless comment instead of just trying to be a prick and making fun of someone?
It already was embarrassing and awkward enough to start this without your comment

No :3c
This is le internet, if someone doesn't understand by now that they're gonna be seeing undesirable things every so often, then it's on them.

I've personally always believed if you don't like what someone's doing in a game or on discord or something of the likes, take the initiative to block or mute them instead of getting them to change, odds are they won't willingly stop doing so and so because someone didn't like what they're doing so instead of going to them to stop, they complain about and try to get it into a rule.

Even if this *was* made into a rule, it'd be hella subjective to enforce, there's countless things one could consider suggestive and sexual, you'd have to pinpoint all the things that are not okay to even start consistently enforcing this rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread