A poorly disorganised ramble of my thoughts on ba_space_jail_v7 (1 Viewer)

laxlijam

i do enjoy this map and think its great (my top 5 personally), though it most certainly shows its poor design philosophy when it comes to areas like the Main-cell area for instance.
I'm no good essayist so I'll showcase a bulletpoint of my thoughts for this map.

Pros:
  • the soundtrack is perhaps one of the best utilised in jailbreak
  • generally good secrets (disco one and the hidden backdoor ammo pack)
  • the geometry and aesthetics are well done
  • most minigames function well and are great choice-wise and in functionality
Cons:
  • many other JB maps have multiple pathways to reach the MCA, there is only two, and one is through a one-way vent
  • the left and right hall areas require some form of alternate entrance to reach the outside areas
  • why is space gravity a thing? (i get its funny but its generally laggy and should perhaps be replaced with a better system)
  • the DR pyro hadouken trap is so easily avoidable, couldn't kill the most clueless player
  • reaching this ammopack in dodgeball is nonviable in servers that disable scouts double jumping, also classist map design (why just scout??) is generally a lawful or chaotic evil thing to do in JB maps. i mean you could caberjump yet still, that's perhaps only 1 out of the nine classes which can acquire this.

Attachments

• hadoukentrap.png
    hadoukentrap.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • IMFCKINGLOSINGIT.png
    IMFCKINGLOSINGIT.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • yeah.png
    yeah.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • themostusefulmapsecrettrustmeguys.png
    themostusefulmapsecrettrustmeguys.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • Disagree
Reactions: Valen and _Black
hypothetical ideas for if this map were to be revamped
  • escape secret involving escaping via a rocket? (probably only good on paper but it'd be an interesting concept)
  • add more alternate pathways from and through the main cell area please for gods sake one hallway and a ventilation shaft isn't gonna cut it
  • more accessible ammo secrets and secrets in general which dont detract from the main design philosophy and aesthetics of the original map
  • perhaps if the map were to be expanded further the additions of more minigames which are more commonly seen could be added? (climb, etc)
  • fix the pyro deathrun trap

Attachments

• liberal.png
    liberal.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • liberal2.png
    liberal2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • Disagree
Reactions: _Black
all i got now for this thread this was made purely out of boredom and to satiate my neurological hyperfixation on this map

oh yeah about dodging the uh truck trap in DR: i personally think its cool though objectively it is probably something that should be patched. you shouldn't be able to do that kinda stuff in a deathrun course but personally i think its awesome and its something i wouldn't change if i were to revamp it.

If you want the map files I can just give you them if you want. Hammer is hard to learn but if you really care enough you can make these changes

Reactions: _Black
it's not that i really hate these aspects of the map, it's moreso a criticism bought out of a post i created purely out of boredom. again its a favourite map of mine. i just made this post to disparage my thoughts and own analysis in regards to it. i don't have much free-time to really dedicate myself to it but it may be something i could do in the far future but its wholly ungarunteed. thanks again for the response.

it's not that i really hate these aspects of the map, it's moreso a criticism bought out of a post i created purely out of boredom. again its a favourite map of mine. i just made this post to disparage my thoughts and own analysis in regards to it. i don't have much free-time to really dedicate myself to it but it may be something i could do in the far future but its wholly ungarunteed. thanks again for the response.
though i would appreciate it if the bsp file was sent over, i could put a pin on it obv

Users who are viewing this thread