Declined We do not need the "Refrain from typing in caps" rule! (1 Viewer)

Remove all caps rule?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've seen throughout my times on the Panda servers, seeing the no caps rule has always been a highly unnecessary rule.

There's never any issue with using all caps, it simply doesn't interrupt or disturb anyone. I understand you may have added this to prevent people from essentially shouting in chat but on the trade server as well, people use caps as a gimmick to pretty much get their trades noticed as well, so it's helpful and neutral at the same time. There is literally no difference between using lowercase and uppercase letters and why they differentiate accordingly to your rules, hence a change is required. Being so harsh on everyone's messages because of THE SIZE of the letters is not necessary at all, it's completely unneeded and quite upsetting to be totally honest.

To prevent any usage of multiple caps if absolutely necessary, you can simply install a sourcemod server plugin that changes all caps into lowercase letters:

Like this for example: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=2198068

• Dumb
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Roar and Chae
it's also unnecessary to use all caps in the first place

I would like to start off by addressing that I’m a staff member and my opinion will be obviously skewed.

Addressing the whole “Overusing Caps” situation is a little hard as there’s many factors to it and is hard to generalize as it doesn’t just happen on trade. I’ll try my best to address it in the regular player turned admin role and get to both sides of it the best I can.

Going to start with the idea of the trading with all caps gimmick scenario as there’s multiple way to trade/ advertise besides using all caps ( especially when I see it too often that people also spam those “trade binds”) hence why we even implemented an underutilized trade chat ( which also you can’t overuse caps in). Most of the time people don’t really need to type in caps at all; I sort of get it with some people that don’t “talk” on the mic but opt with chat to use all caps to “express” their feelings but even then they don’t need to do it.

Next, the severity of the punishment isn’t that harsh compared to other communication block punishment and again you don’t need to hold shift/ turn on caps lock to say your sentences and talk in game. In my own experience it’s generally not a problem and if people do it from time to time it’s fine as most of the time they catch themself/ stop. However, the line draws thin when it’s in repeated intervals/ continuous sentences in caps ( such as when people spam trade binds) and/ if they are repeatedly warned ( which admins should do).

Lastly, I’m moderately against the removal of the rule, I wouldn’t be particularly against altering it in some form/ adding the said mod as all the servers are slowly getting updated, don’t know how’ll the proposal will go on the long run with the votes. I found the idea a little silly especially when I was just a regular in Panda in Jail Break as that’s where I use to play the most often, but overtime I saw how it was just repeatedly used, especially in scenarios that involved insulting and turned a healthy situation into toxicity. I don’t really see any drawbacks from the removal of the rule

Tldr; It’s not hard to not use call caps/ turn off your caps lock and not hold onto the shift key while typing in chat. My vote is strongly against the idea of it’s removal as it’s more of the individual that does it at fault; especially if they do it repeatedly and/or warned repeadly.

Now to play devil’s advocate, I find hard to play this and nothing really much to add to this besides the fact that it discourages using caps in general ( not really a negative) and that it seems like a mean for admins to punish players that are playing the game/ trying to communicate their reaction. The whole freedom of speech scenario is kind of not in play here either as you can always appeal your punishment if you deemed in an unjust punishment to get unmuted/I gagged or shorten the length. I would guess seeing Panda Community as a “harsh” community that punishes their player for typing/ talking in a specific way and it would hypothetically cause some people to lose interest in the community/ server altogether and people wouldn’t want to appeal their punishment because they’re ignorant of how to without being able to talk in chat ( even through there’s a msg about Panda forums, our discord, and you can always ask the admin that muted/ gagged you).

Using caps makes you look like a kid who's begging for attention and it also visually clogs up chat. It just looks really ugly and is also unnecessary. If you want to shout you use exclamation marks. If you want to be noticed just type something that would interest someone because of the contents and not because the letters are large and obnoxious

Seems like this isn't successful.

Thank you for the suggestion anyway ::):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread