Completed vsh_zelda_ww_ou tset_island edit suggestion (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfWay

I'd like to suggest for the vsh_zelda map in panda's VSH servers to be tweaked as a means of making it a slightly less frustrating map for people to play on. I decided to make this suggestion because as a sniper main, it's one of my favorite maps, and it's just not really playable due to it's immensity.
Earlier today I nominated this map and awaited eagerly for people to vote for it. After the vote finally passed and the map changed, a few players left the server and most of them used the 'rtv' command right away and within a few minutes the map got switched.
I believe the reason why people dislike that map is due to it's size and the hard to access areas that cause rounds to take much longer than usual. Don't get me wrong, It's a really fun map, however people that camp the water area and other places that are hard reach make it really hard most bosses to get to them. Not to mention many people playing as hale hide in the deep end of the water for extended periods of time making it nearly impossible for players to locate them. One solution could be having a larger portion of the water deal damage to players, or having the size of the map reduced. Even just having the hale & player spawn location changed so they're not at opposite sides of the map could be a huge game changer.

Thanks for taking the time to read my suggestion :)

I'm glad some of the Vsh Regs are making some more posts/suggestions on the forums as it helps our staff team gauge what works and what doesn't.

Unless someone is actively willing to make these changes, it's a bit of a hard ask. Falki is probs the most likely person to make fixes to maps for us and I'm not sure if he'd really wanna.
The map does indeed have issues with being too large and slow with the water being so abusable, so it's just as reasonable to consider this map for removal.

Either way this is likely to need a poll added to it as you seem to have forgotten to add one ^^
If a poll does get added by @Madact or another Full admin, I think I'd like to see the option for Removal/Temporary Removal

vsh_zelda is a bad map because of how damn large and unfit for gameplay it is. It honestly surprises me that it got into the map list, simply booting it up in the TF2 console and roaming alone would suffice to know its a bad map.

The absurd height variation makes any class without vertical mobility unfun to play (6/9 classes).

The water is fully navigable without trigger_hurt or even something as minimal as a func_nobuild zone leading to all engineers abusing water knockback.

The map has the issue of being shallow, there is so much space, but literally nothing interesting gameplay-wise occupies it, similar to dustshowdown.

The custom textures also cause problems with OpenGL rendering which means its unplayable for me and probably a handful of other folks who have OS's or hardware that doesn't support Direct X.

Not only that, but good luck trying to decompile and edit the map, first you would need to extract the embedded custom textures, then you need to reconfigure the directories of each and every brush surface, then finally you need to fix any issues that arise due to the nature of decompiling brush-complex maps like these, which will take hours of re-compiling due to how VVIS struggles with large open vistas. (Unless this Falki bloke happens to have a supercomputer lying about or is willing to rent one for about £30 an hour.)

In short, the map is more suited for trading servers, is improbable to edit, and I would rather it be removed.

• Agree
Reactions: vinny
A bit late but I made an updated version:

- Moved the invisible walls closer to the center of the map to reduce the overall size of the playable area
- Water will now deal around 2 dmg/s (only affects red team)
- Added func_nobuild to the "secret" area so players who enter it no longer get stuck inside teleporters
- Fixed being able to place teleporters in houses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread