Completed [VSH] Goomba (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heather

Gameserver Admin
Staff member
Gameserver Admin
Hopefully this will be the definitive thread for goomba within VSH

For a while, a lot of people have had complaints about goomba, be it regulars or ex-admins.
Due to this I thought it'd be a good idea to explore all the options we have in terms of dealing with it and put it up to a poll to see which one seems to be the most favoured

Reasoning

A few reasons as to why a lot of the community see it fit to remove/deal with goomba are as follow
  • A lot of maps allow for excessive abuse of goomba, especially with maps with a lot of verticality, boost pads or ramps
  • Plenty of players are rewarded with large amounts of damage by pure accident, crippling hale's chances at winning the round
  • Goomba damage doesn't scale with hale's hp, leading low player count rounds to be ended almost immediately to a few goombas
  • Goomba can outright discourage a lot of players from playing hale if they don't understand the mechanic
  • Goomba also contributes to sniper being as strong as he is currently, as hales can't superjump directly beneath them to ensure the melee hit, out of fear of goomba
  • Winger scouts are near abusive with how easily it is to farm damage on hales, even decent hales struggle to cope with them
Suggested fixes/nerfs

Some of the proposed fixes are as follow
  1. Outright disabling goomba; As severe as it sounds, a lot of regulars would just prefer to not have to deal with the goomba plugin at all
    • ConVar - goomba_enabled 1/0 (default 1) : Plugin On/Off​
  2. Change goomba to scale off of hale's current hp; The hope is with this, that hales wont be nearly as punished by goombas as the round progresses
    • ConVar - vsh_boss_goomba_dmg_lifemultiplier (Default: 0.025) - How much damage the boss will receive based on its remaining health. For example, 0.025 * 35000hp = 875dmg​
  3. Change goomba's flat damage; outright reducing the flat amount of damage dealt could also be a viable option, making goombas just all-round less rewarding to receive on accident
    • ConVar - vsh_boss_goomba_dmg_add (Default: 450.0) - Add this amount of damage against the boss after vsh_boss_goomba_dmg_lifemultiplier calculation. Example- 875dmg from above + 450 = 1325.​
  4. Change goomba's velocity; Changing this value to be lower than it is currently would make goombas riskier and also prevent chaining goombas, which could prevent point farming
    • ConVar - vsh_boss_goomba_rebound_power (Default: 300.0) - How much velocity players should rebound after goomba stomping the boss.​
Some people may notice that the Convar for Minspeed required to goomba hale hasn't been included (goomba_minspeed (default 360, minimum 0) : Minimum fall momentum to trigger the stomp.) This is due to it not really solving the core issues and just targetting winger scouts, as changes to this would only prevent them from using goomba and leave soldiers and pyros untouched.

Both Goomba damage convars will be grouped in the poll as changing one would require changing the other, ontop of probably a future post/reply in this thread to figure out the appropriate values for each.

The Poll will be up for 2 weeks

I think the Fall Momentum should still be nerfed since the fallspeed is so low that it shouldnt even be called falling most of the time. A normal crouchjump (when standing on hale) is enough for one goomba. Although the Damage adjustment definetly is number one priority here

Im voting to have damage value changed cause its too easily abused by winger scouts like myself. I'd also like to just throw out the idea of implementing some sort of time aspect, i.e. only one goomba per minute per player to avoid chain goombas, or maybe restricting it to one goomba every 10 seconds, so hales that stop moving for a second dont instantly lose 6k hp. Just some ideas.

Reactions: Jim Bob
@Jokimty So something like damage value changes and rebound power? that way after landing a goomba you dont get enough momentum for a follow up goomba?

However im certain that this will lead to the issue of what the code/Convar for that is since it seems like that time isnt included in there
If its a hassel to implement then eh, was just some stuff my brain spat out.

So something like damage value changes and rebound power? that way after landing a goomba you dont get enough momentum for a follow up goomba?
Yes, those seem like good ideas to me. Backstabbing and market gardeners deal tons of damage, but you're left vulnerable, so it makes sense that goombas would have the same or an equally bad side effect, but given the way thing are right now, after you land the initial goomba you're pretty safe.

• Wow
Reactions: Racer911-1
So looking at this I see it's option 3
2021-10-11 (2).png

3. Change goomba's flat damage; outright reducing the flat amount of damage dealt could also be a viable option, making goombas just all-round less rewarding to receive on accident
  • ConVar - vsh_boss_goomba_dmg_add (Default: 450.0) - Add this amount of damage against the boss after vsh_boss_goomba_dmg_lifemultiplier calculation. Example- 875dmg from above + 450 = 1325.

Since this is a nerf the default value 450.0 needs to be lower. How much less added bonus should be taken? Not sure, so I've created another poll!
I'm going to tag people that I'd think would be interested in this. This change may also effect FF2 as I've been informed Kevin treats them as the same map wise sooo it's possible goomba might be too

@Falkì @Syntex @Darkwolf @acethedragon @Chae
@Roar @Kruphixx @EvoWarrior5 @Jim Bob @TWC @Spam Goose @Skorpieo

Apologies if those I tagged are no longer interested in VSH I'm just going off poll votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread