Completed [VSH/FF2] Replace vsh_military_area with vsh_militaryzone (attempt 2) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiji

Original suggestion:

(Militaryzone was never added back, completely forgot to tell Kevin about it :pepega:)

20220725115521_1.jpg

I'd like to suggest replacing military_area with militaryzone, I think this version in general is a lot more visually pleasing and might be a bit better to play on due to the size of the map being a bit bigger than the original, as well as some other stuff changed like ammo packs and the roof of the watchtower which pushes players down instead of letting them camp there with sentries. Perfomance-wise it should be the same.

Originally the map was removed due to the bunker and the issues it caused. I completely removed it in the _panda version.

I know some people will probably want to keep the original map but please... Do we really have to continue suffering on the current map just because some people can't handle change? Time to move on.

Last edited:
I completely agree with this opinion. Military area visuals are awful, the map is old and it feels awful to even look at it. Military Zone looks a lot better, even though visuals probably won't fix all the flaws the map has.

Made an update to the map, will post the BSP later. Some of these changes are based on feedback from this post.
  • Made some optimizations (areaportals, object fade, occluder etc.)
  • Switched the ramps on the sides of red spawn to normal stairs
  • Moved BLU spawn from the control point to the back, similiar to how it is on the current military_area
  • Players will now easily be able to jump from the blue container to the wooden walkway (this wasn't possible in the original version for some reason)

Update March 16th (vsh_militaryzone_v3_panda3):
  • It's no longer possible to build on top of the watchtower and water tower
  • Clipped the stairs leading to the wooden walkway
  • Further perfomance improvements

Attachments

• vsh_militaryzone_v3_panda3.bsp
    8.2 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Map is awful and it has no redeeming qualities, whatsoever.
Updating the map at long last to look at least visually appealing might help prevent severe amounts of eye-damage!

Reactions: TimTims
That's what makes it great.
I strongly disagree with Military area even being close to a great map. Small box-size arena with little to no cover, abusable roof (which engineers love to camp on) and 5 big health packs waiting for someone to pick them up. Map is very unbalanced and makes playing boss an absolutely miserable experience. Players new to playing boss always get demolished by others. And the textures are there to add salt to the wound. They don't look pleasing, are out of place, and even if the map has a "legendary status" it doesn't mean its good. If I have to struggle playing in a small box, I'd rather struggle somewhere good looking.

Attachments

• no-it-damn-well-doesnt.gif
    no-it-damn-well-doesnt.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 56
Why can't both maps exist on the server?
There were a suggestion to add Military Zone along, apparently they had to make a second suggestion although its tasked up.

Screenshot 2023-03-18 214152.png

Militaryzone will be added and Military_Area will be removed. Added to VSH/FF2 maps task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread