Declined Voting System on vsh server (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra

Donator
Tbh the voting system on the vsh server is trash. 90% of the people just push the closest key. "4" always wins. I think a system where you have to type "!votemap" to vote would be way more efficent. I mean the voting now is not a voting.

I think the benefit of that is being able to vote without having to stand still for some seconds and potentially getting killed. Aye I know there's arguments like that binds can avoid all that or going into a safe spot and typing but how it is right now only has that one bad thing about it really, barely harmful in my opinion.

Reactions: Matth
Honestly this might be a worthwhile suggestion, it'd remove the typical scenario of people blindly pressing 4 and picking bad maps, only issue with this idea is implementation, i'm not sure how you'd go about adding it, I worry there might be some issues regarding that, but all round a good idea.

Tho i'd have to agree with Ciri to an extent, this may be a slight problem to some, but the map voting system is far from harmful and problematic.

Honestly just change the voting buttons to 6, 7, 8 and 9 (perhaps 0 too), because that means you don't have to stand still for seconds to choose, but still means you can't just move your left hand you already have on your keyboard, and press 4 cause it's close.
You need to take your eyes off the screen briefly, and use your right hand to pick a vote., as none of 6, 7, 8, 9 and 0 isn't "easier" to click than one another, like 4 is right now.

That's what made the buttons 4567, To avoid the same 1234 problem, This wouldn't fix anything but just cause the same issue of hitting the 6 simply because it's the first and closest button in reach

That's what made the buttons 4567, To avoid the same 1234 problem, This wouldn't fix anything but just cause the same issue of hitting the 6 simply because it's the first and closest button in reach

Yeah but that's what makes the button 4 a problem. It's too close to your left hand, and you don't even have to look to hit the 4 button.
If it's the button 6, or 7, you need to look at your keyboard, and then you might as well just vote for the map you like, now that you have to actually think.

Honestly if this problem is worth committing to dealing with, it'd be far more worthwhile to put in a !vote system just to prevent the problem altogether rather than just shoving the numbers up again

Why do we even vote at all? I think map rotation would be way better for diversity because everyone chooses the same maps. It would also make it easier for mapmakers of less played maps to tweak their maps to become as fun to play as the popular ones. Maybe not have a fixed rotation but have it randomized so that in the end every map is played once before it resets in a different order.

EDIT: better idea: the first option in voting should be "random map". e.g. when the voting starts, you can press 4 to randomly pick one of the nominated maps to play, number 5-9 are the nominated maps. Now there won't be a bias towards one map.

EDIT: better idea: the first option in voting should be "random map". e.g. when the voting starts, you can press 4 to randomly pick one of the nominated maps to play, number 5-9 are the nominated maps. Now there won't be a bias towards one map.

That's actually a surprisingly good idea. I'm all for this tbh.

I'm gonna be honest here, I don't think we need to change the voting system. We have the /nominate command which a lot of regulars on the server use frequently, and in probably 99% of cases people don't nominate maps they don't want to play. The main problem for me is the first map to be nominated will always be option 4, meaning people can nominate militaryzone as soon as military_area has loaded and people will just hit 4 because hey, it's military and there's nothing more fun than endless rocketjumping for an hour and a half straight!

I've seen other servers with voting plugins which require the user to press the F keys instead of numbers - this allows the player to vote without stopping their movement but a little extra stretch is required to reach these keys so it could make players double check which map to vote for. Hooft's idea of 4 being random map (either random map from the rotation or from the nominated maps) has a bit of potential but I don't think such a plugin exists. Although, unless the nominated maps can be randomly scrambled (i.e. the person who nominated a map first won't be option 4) I don't think this would change too much - people would just start pressing 5 instead once they get used to the new system because why would they want a random map when people have already nominated maps they enjoy?

Nominate would have to be altered for je hooft's idea and with roar's comment I don't see this going anywhere.
It's been a topic before but mainly by regulars who are bored and annoyed of people just pressing 4. Use to be 1, till Kevin changed it. Now that's not enough regulars want more. How far do we have to go?
Popular maps do encourage people to come on, even if it gets repetitive. Voting nominate as soon as the map loads makes sure your choice is at the top of the list. Maybe you can do that to encourage people to vote for random maps that don't get much love?

Anyways with all this we've all discussed I believe there is nothing else to add. I'll leave it open, but if all we're going to do is have indifferent opinions then ::|::

If there's no plugin for my suggestion then that's that, but my reasoning behind the first option being a random map is because people press the lowest number on the keyboard that does something. people started pressing 4 after the change because they realized numbers 1-3 did nothing. They will not be pressing 5 now since 4 also does something.

The biggest fix this would create is in this scenario: Multiple fun maps are nominated, let's say 4. weaponsdepot and 7. cactustemple. In a normal voting weaponsdepot would win because of all the people pressing 4. Add a random map option by pressing no. 4 and move the nominated maps up one number and everyone who doesn't care votes for a random map, while people who want to vote go either weaponsdepot or cactustemple. So now weaponsdepot doesn't get so many extra votes.

It's probably not the best solution but it would definitely help more than just moving the first map vote from 1 to 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread