Denzel Crocker

Steam32 ID:
STEAM_0:0:92489102

Your age:

Current playtime on relevant server(s):
323 hours (13 days, 11 hours)

Link to your Sourcebans record:

BANS
: https://bans.panda-community.com/index.php?p=banlist&advSearch=STEAM_0:0:92489102&advType=steamid
COMM: https://bans.panda-community.com/index.php?p=commslist&advSearch=STEAM_0:0:92489102&advType=steamid

No bans for either.

Server to are applying for:
I am applying for US Jailbreak.

General online times & time zone:

I live in Pacific timezone (British Columbia, Canada). My regular online times are from
3 or 4 PM to 10 or 11 PM PST, given that I work quite a bit the time I am on varies. My current typical work week is 12pm-5pm on weekends and 2pm-10pm on Thursdays and Fridays, do that is subject to change.

Do you have a working microphone?: Yes, I do have a working microphone.

Previous experience as Admin or Moderator:

Basically repeating what I said on my previous modapp, but:

I was previously a moderator, later admin, for another Jailbreak server: War3Evo. I first started playing on that server in late December 2016 (I was only 16 years old and still in school). After my first modapp there was denied in late January 2017, I improved what needed to be improved, and after posting my second modapp in March 2017, I was accepted, and thus became a mod on March 16, 2017, bringing to me my very first experience as a moderator of not just Jailbreak, not just Team Fortress 2, but of anything that requires a moderator.

My time as a moderator and later admin of War3Evo Jailbreak was definitely a wild ride. I meet a lot of nice people and co-mods/admins over my time there who I still definitely miss and helped influence me, some...a little less nice, but I was able to handle them. However, about six months into my gig, in September 2017, I was struggling with impulse control which forced me to step down for a few months, before I was finally able to get it under control enough in early February 2018 to return as admin. Although I have greatly (read: GREATLY) improved my impulse control and can now come up with strategies to easily combat it, I still have personal feelings about my poor impulse control at the time, but anyone who wants to know exactly what happened in more detail can DM me.

After February 2018, aside from a couple minor rocky moments, things went smoothly. Unfortunately, in late 2019/early 2020, the player count went down and ultimately the server is now no longer up, but I still cherish the time I was an admin there and the friends I made there.

What would you say makes you a suitable candidate?:

Had fun modifying this to suit this app:

So, to start this off: one of the most notable criticisms that stood out from my previous app on my second modapp in April of this year was that it was very barebones and lacked "meat". I took that to heart for my third adminapp, posted in May, and made it much more elaborate and in detail. It was so elaborate and in detail that I don't think I need to make it extra elaborate or in detail for this modapp, really only change certain sections to better fit this attempt.

First, let's (again) see how we got here:

I first started playing on this server almost a year ago -- I can't EXACTLY remember the month, but I remember Underjail being in the map rotation, which was removed from there late-ish summer of 2021, so I've been playing regularly on the server since the summer of the year (I probably started as a new player earlier though). Back then, I made my first application around the beginning of October, which now that I have more experience on this server I know was way too soon -- I obviously jumped the gun and tried to apply without giving myself more time. It was declined in mid-November and I was told I could apply again in a month. I thought to myself that I should wait a while longer before giving it another shot, and that I did.

Five months pass, and come the very beginning of April, I felt more confident in applying again, feeling I was more ready. However, US Jailbreak wasn't on the list of servers looking for applications, so I asked Semicolon Backlash if I could apply, knowing that I had to ask an admin for permission first if I wanted to apply at that time. A few days after I sent him a message, he said some admins were interested in seeing me apply, and said if he didn't hear from any other admins by April 3, he would give me the OK. Come April 3, and that's what would happen. Unfortunately, I made a big mistake that I only realized after the admins gave me feedback on it; my adminapp was barebones, in fact it was almost a copy-and-paste of my previous one with only minor modifications. That REALLY didn't help make me look like a suitable candidate, even thought it was probably the least impactful in their decision considering their other criticisms.

Even though I didn't get accepted, it provided the admins to give me the feedback I needed. My main criticisms were to make my reports and warnings better, and to be more involved in the game. Hearing those criticisms made me realize that what was holding me back was my force-of-habit to play it safe; I am very conscious about how people perceive me and was afraid of being a nuisance to people rather than someone who is helpful, someone who is constantly looking over the players' shoulders. However, as I have learned, and if there's anything I've learned from my previous admin experience as well -- being an admin requires taking risks. It requires coming out of your shell, exiting your comfort zone, and doing what you know is right, even if not everyone is going to like that.

Come May 13, 2022, and I posted my next modapp, having made every effort to improve on the criticisms I received. Most admins said I improved on what I needed to improve on and gave me +1's, but somewhere down the line I screwed up in a way that affected the outcome of my modapp (a no-go), most likely some sh*tty reports I made (you know which ones). This is now another thing, after having to learn the hard way, I have improved on, making proper reports and taking the proper steps, and realizing what's report-worthy and what's not. Still, during another waiting period, I have kept all previous criticisms to heart and still made every attempt to keep doing what I've improved on.

And I assure you, this time, if it does happen, I will make every single effort to the last beat of my heart not to screw up in the ways that affected the outcome of my last modapp.

Now as to WHY I think I'm a suitable candidate:

Pretty much a repeat of what I've said before, but there have been multiple instances where people are breaking rules or just being plain toxic or rude in chat, where I WISH I had the power to give a solution to the problem, but am unable to and am forced to watch as my only option is to either /calladmin, or grab out a recorder and record the incident to report to the forums. When it comes to playing Jailbreak, I want nothing more than for everyone to play in peace and be able to respect each other. That's not to say I don't like playful jabs, I definitely think they form a lot of the fun of Jailbreak, but many times I've seen "playful jabs" turn into straight-up bullying. A great example of this would be concerning YanViktor; while he many have broken some rules, the amount of stuff he gets thrown at him simply for being a young child makes me feel really bad for him, and I want to encourage an environment where everyone can be respectful to one other and curb toxicity. I want everyone who plays Jailbreak to be treated fairly and have an opportunity to have their voices heard.

Other times, the rule-breaking may be gameplay-related. I have seen way too many illegally enforced freedays, opening of cells early enough to warrant a freeday, illegal cell wars/FF, armoury camping, round stalling (by being inactive), favoritism, and inactive LGKA-ing to count that it just makes me wish I had the power to do something, but I know I am unable to. Being an admin would make feel like I can maintain control when need be to make sure everything runs smoothly.

And to me, helping others play the game -- helping new players adjust to the rules and be able to play properly -- is something that just makes me feel good, like I've accomplished something. Being an admin for a previous Jailbreak server, and working in retail have definitely helped me immensely in improving my ability to be helpful to other players. Being helpful makes me feel good as a human being, and allows me to feel like I'm really important in life. Being an admin is something I know comes with responsibility, but I with all the experience I have had and more, I feel mature, strong, and ready enough to handle those responsibilities.

And ever since my last modapp was denied? The rulebreaking continuing, and with multiple admins resigning it's making it harder for rulebreakers to be punished, further contributing to my want to help out the server. In particular, the resigning of multiple admins has kept my interest in applying for admin at a very high level.

I also want to say I am well aware my playtimes aren't nearly as high as during the period of my third modapp, however both work and personal obligations have been getting in my way. However, I will still try to make every effort to be on the server most days, even if only for an hour or two.

NOTE: Knowing that I will have an admin to help me during my trial period, should I get accepted, is something I will greatly appreciate -- having a helping hand will help me in times where I find myself not fully catching rule-breaking in the act.

Finally, please briefly explain how you would do your job, e.g. a general overview of your policies and punishments:

My punishments and warnings will depend on what offense is committed, and the severity of the offenses. It's definitely a list indeed to list my policies, but I will list them the best I can:

COMM PUNISHMENTS - Racism/Slurs/Insults/Advertising/Overall toxic behaviour:
-
Clear warnings unless severe enough
- 120 mins (2 hours) for first offense
- 360 mins (6 hours) for second offense
- 720 mins (12 hours) for third offense
- 1,440 mins (1 day) for fourth offense
- 10,080 mins (1 week) for fifth offense
- 43,200 mins (1 month) for sixth offense
- Permanent for seventh offense

GUARDBAN PUNISHMENTS:
- Freekilling/Favoritism/Inactivity/Illegal FF/Illegal Freedays/Armory Camping/Round Stalling

--- A clear warning for the first offense, then slay if it persists.
--- 360 mins (6 hours) for second offense
--- 720 mins (12 hours) for third offense
--- 1,440 mins (1 day) for fourth offense
--- 10,080 mins (1 week) for fifth offense
--- 43,200 mins (1 month) for sixth offense
--- Permanent for seventh offense
- Mass Freekilling (MFK):
---
4,320 (3 days) for first offense
--- 10,080 mins (2 weeks) for second offense
--- 43,200 mins (1 month) for third offense
--- Permanent for fourth offense

EXPLOITING:
-
Slay, and a clear warning for first offense
- 360 mins (6 hours) for second offense
- 720 mins (12 hours) for third offense
- 1,440 mins (1 day) for fourth offense
- 10,080 mins (1 week) for fifth offense
- 43,200 mins (1 month) for sixth offense
- Permanent for seventh offense

HACKING:
-
Permanent as soon as I catch it, no exceptions

ADMIN IMPERSONATION:
-
Clear warning, then name change if the rulebreaker doesn't comply.

INAPPROPRIATE SPRAYS:
- A clear warning to change it, and if that doesn't happen, then an indefinite sprayban until the player has changed it.

Other useful information:
- HLSTATS
: https://hlstats.panda-community.com/hlstats.php?mode=playerinfo&player=576180
- CHAT HISTORY: https://hlstats.panda-community.com/hlstats.php?mode=chathistory&player=576180
- SESSIONS: https://hlstats.panda-community.com/hlstats.php?mode=playersessions&player=576180
- ACTIONS/EVENTS: https://hlstats.panda-community.com/hlstats.php?mode=playerhistory&player=576180

Admins:
- @Semicolon Backslash
- @Bambi
- @Sleepzombie
- @Zee
- @Cridove
- @Cowboy

Howdy Denzel, Crossing my fingers that i got to it first as i have some "Homework" for you.

This is your fourth application, comms and logs are all clean just like your previous applications, nothing wrong there.

Timezone isn't a big issue anymore since we've gone through a bit of a staff chain resign due to the season we are in. Pacific Time Zone is still fairly nice to have since you'll be able to catch a good portion of calls with your availability.

I was expecting bad sessions but they aren't bad at all at first glance, happy to see you're still playing when you can. However you did mention you are starting work soon, don't feel embarrassed at all if you feel you need to retract your application any time because of it. Real life happens so make sure that's your first priority.

On paper, I think you're nearly a perfect candidate, but i have some feedback for you and some things I'd like to work on before giving you my +1. Your application will be up a while, so you'll have plenty of time.

Here are some things i want you to work on.

~Be more active in the community
While you have quite an impressive time played, I think a good portion of the community only knows you by name and not much else. I want you to work on being more active and outspoken in the discord and in-game. Post memes, Talk about subjects you like, what interests you, ect. I think jailbreak is what you mainly talk about, which is fine but people don't really know the real you. This has caused people to form an opinion just based on that perception which has been mixed. Friendship with regulars is something that @Zee talks about a lot in his feedback and I agree with him.
~Take JB less seriously
You strike me as a serious person, while that is useful to a staff team as it shows you're capable of being serious when it's needed. However you tend to be serious most of the time, which i think rubs some people the wrong way. Telling an applicant to goof off more might seem quite outlandish but i think you should try to interact more just outside of asking jailbreak questions or talking about jailbreak itself. This is in no way me telling you to break rules in order to make other people laugh to get people to like you, but take it easy! Half of your chatlogs are dedicated to warning people/reminding people jb rules. While i absolutely encourage what you are doing, goof around sometimes and make some friends! Isn't that why we are playing jailbreak?
~Become more confident/ Establish more relationships
Reviewing your chatlogs i'm happy with the warnings you give (Shout out to TRG). I think you could do a bit better with being more casual about it. This really isn't being held against as you as you're not doing anything wrong whatsoever, i just think you need to build up respect with the regulars. If you come into an admin position without having a good standing with regulars, i think you'll have a more difficult time establishing mutual respect. Keep making reports and giving friendly warnings, but work on your relationship with regulars as it'll help you in the long run. Lastly, try not to overthink the rules too much, you're going to encounter a lot of situations as an admin that isn't easily answered in the Server Rules. Really think and observe what actually warrants warnings/disciplinary actions. As far as the people who actively try to shame/talk bad about you, ignore those people. I believe that once you actually show people the real you and interact with them more, their perception will change.

This feedback is going to appear very odd for a good portion of the other admins as the feedback you're getting is completely opposite to the feedback that others are often given (More warnings, Chill out on the mic, Dont be toxic,ect). Other admins are more than happy to express their disagreement with my feedback and I'm even open to constructive feedback. You are also absolutely entitled to ask me to clarify any of the points made above if you need further explanation.

This is in no way to say you're actually bad at these things above, I just think these are some things you can work on to make yourself into an even more stellar candidate.

My Vote stands at Neutral leaning towards +1

I predict that this app will be up for a while so I'm excited to hopefully see some progress on the feedback that has been given, I look forward to seeing you more on the server. I'm not looking to update my feedback for at least 2-3 weeks from now. Best of luck to you Mr Crocker.

You are quite literally the strictest and most infuriatingly serious guy I've met playing on Panda (at least on JB) when it comes to rules and I can't imagine the day where you actually have the power to back it all up. Unless you work on all of that, you being in power in anyway whatsoever feels like a detriment to the community. You put the rules over everything else on the most minor of things and enjoy giving repeated warnings to players consistently and constantly on such insignificant stuff to the point where I'm confident they end up muting you. Speaking as a semi-new user btw.

Some of cowboys points I agree with, I just think that the way you warn people can come off a way that is seen as arrogant, and fails to deter rule-breakers as effectively as being more calm about it. I find you indecisive, or even tend to be to naïve at times. Though you show genuine desire to help, and room to improve in your trial phase. I don’t mind providing you a +1

While I gave a +1 last time I have since changed my mind on you. To put it simply, I feel you try too hard to be the ideal admin applicant, a lot of what you are doing comes off to me as a bit forced.

On the forums I notice that you make a bunch of suggestions. This is usually a great thing as I'll be the first to say Panda jb is never perfect, however some of these suggestions you make end up getting shot down by the regulars, again another fine thing however you seem to start pulling out excuses to why you made a suggestion instead of standing your ground. An example would be this thread where you seemed to 180 from wanting it implemented to "I just wanted to see people's opinions" and "I won't make another suggestion for a long time" Not an attitude I would like to see if it was applied to administration.

I will have to (begrudgingly) agree with fallguy on one thing, from what I've seen of you on the servers you seem to take this mode a little too seriously. The point of jailbreak (or any mode in any game) is to have fun. If you're worrying about ever minor rule it can be a bit hard to have fun at times. This sentiment could lead to over-moderation and could seriously hurt some players enjoyment of the server (unrelated but I bet banana will ping me on discord with a screenshot of this paragraph and some snarky response about his 1 year old teamban).

Some of your reports feel a bit mishandled as well. With this one in particular you made it overly dramatic saying how you were heartbroken to report human and typed up a whole paragraph explaining why you are heartbroken by him being really grumpy one evening. I would rather not have to deal with dramalords on the team.

-1 I just think you need to relax a bit, that's all really, I would be super stressed out if I was always doing what you are doing, and a lot of it just feels forced to me and makes me worried if you would over-moderate the server or if you would admin for a week and then resign after you just feel overwhelmed.

“Some of your reports feel a bit mishandled as well. With this one in particular you made it overly dramatic saying how you were heartbroken to report human and typed up a whole paragraph explaining why you are heartbroken by him being really grumpy one evening. I would rather not have to deal with dramalords on the team.”

If I could defend myself on this, this was two months ago, I see that as my biggest blunder here, and I feel confident I have improved on this. I’ve dealt with similar-behaving players who have acted grumpy since then and knew from that experience not to handle it that way.

However, the strictness is a valid criticism and will try to loosen up. What would help me personally is if someone could give me a list of what rules are minor enough to not warn and what rules are.

However, the strictness is a valid criticism and will try to loosen up. What would help me personally is if someone could give me a list of what rules are minor enough to not warn and what rules are.
There isn't a "list" of rules that solidify minor or major and how you should handle them. That's something you should be able to tell on your own encounters as you'll be handling the server at times without any help.

Completely agree with what semicolon said, and just looking at this app it's completely overdone. This is an application...not a resume and it's volunteer work... To me this is just overkill and signs of taking this stuff too seriously. It's been said enough that sure, you have the commitment and desire to improve. But we've had admins in the past show similar actions, and it still doesn't work out good. I can't show support for this app either

After thinking about this, I want to retract on this app. I feel like I jumped the gun and rushed this out, and that I should give myself time to loosen up and try to put fun over rule enforcing.

• Informative
Reactions: Walfools and Bambi
Retracted

You can reapply in a months time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread