Upcoming maintenance (1 Viewer)

Kevin

Owner
Staff member
Founder
Hi,

on the upcoming sunday (14.01.2018 somewhere late evening) i'm going to play in some critial system updates on our hypervisor nodes aswell on our dedicated game servers against the spectre/meltdown vulnerability which has been acknowledged a few days ago.

i've started updating already a few VMs on release day of the fixed linux kernel allthough to fix the spectre issue (which is far more harder to exploit) a BIOS update is required due to updated microcodes.

the following services are affected:
  • any web-related content (forums/bans/hlstats/staff/backend related api stuff)
  • db connections to the gameservers (except US side due to master-slave setup)
  • gameroots (EU1/EU2/SGP1)
  • musicbots @Raion
  • exchange server
  • fastdl service on EU1+2
the service interruption shouldnt take longer than max. 1h, depending on how long the vmware update process takes but usually its pretty quickly done.
once i've verified that everything has been updated and running the latest version i'm going to start up the vms again on the first node and then continue with the second one to avoid as less downtime as i can.
after thats done i'm going to reboot the game roots and everything should be gucci again but i'll keep this thread updated.

it may happen that some gameservers experience issues due to a closed mysql connection but normally they shouldnt crash.

starting update procedure of the first hypervisor.

update on the first hypervisor has been completed, continuing now with the second one.

second hypervisor updated aswell, now onto gameservers.

Users who are viewing this thread