Declined the scoundrel's 2fort admin application (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valyntine

Donator
Username: scoundrel the

Steam32 ID
STEAM_0:0:206058429

Your age
17 and a half oof

Current playtime on relevant server(s)
13d 20:09:06h

Link to your Sourcebans record

(If relevant) Who gave you permission to apply?
Emmathatsme told me to idk if that counts as permission lol

Primary servers + servers you could confidently join in case of a report.
Generally just the 2fort server I play on near daily, but I can pop in anywhere that I can connect to with decent ping

General online times & time zone
Usually on in the evenings after work about 8pm to as late as 3am (gmt-5)

Do you have a working microphone?
Yeah but i've been told it's quiet so I'm probably gonna buy a new one

Previous experience as Admin or Moderator
I haven't really moderated a game before, though I do have plenty experience a responsible leader as I'm the drum major of my local band. Plus moderating discord servers, but I don't think that applies much to be fair.

What would you say makes you a suitable candidate?
To be honest, I'm mostly a "do what you want as long as you aren't hurting anyone or breaking rules" kinda guy, I don't really tolerate cheating or harassment/slurs. I personally just want to be around in case a situation does arrive on the server, because I've had more than a few experiences where there was a botter and no admin around to remove them.

Hey Scoundrel The,

Even though you've never made a forum account until today, your activity would be helpful on the US 2Fort server. Yesterday was my first time talking to you when you asked about donator name colors, and you seemed nice. I know I brought up administrating when you asked me about donator perks, and that you could apply since you are very active on US 2Fort–but after taking a deeper dive and reviewing some logs I have a different opinion.

I want to start with taking a look at this statement you made yesterday right after our talk about being admin and donator perks, you type, "hmm yes, i will begin a campaign for admin just to get epic gamer color" (Image: Text 1). "epic gamer color" referencing the customizable colors admins (and donators) have access to, you say yourself you are basically applying, "just to get..." the donator color. Now normally I would put that one thing aside, but I do think it's interesting you want to be an admin now, when you have played 340 hours on US 2Fort and never made a forum account to report any rulebreakers when admins we not responding.

For the next segment, I would like to focus on two other text messages you made, one being yesterday on the 28th where you said, "stop being homosexual." (Image: Text 2). While some may consider this a harmless joke to get over, I think I can speak with most people here at Panda, that using someone's sexual identity as a way to put them down is not okay, especially as staff. There are a few other times you tell people to, "stop being gay" and other forms of the sentence, but I left them out because they all fall into the same category. The final chat I want to bring up is this one from 5/7/21, where you wrote, "can you stop being disabled" (Image: Text 3). In one of the two sentences you wrote under, "What would you say makes you a suitable candidate?" is, "I don't really tolerate cheating or harassment/slurs," but maybe those two examples are covered under the "really" that was included in the phrase.

-1 unless something changes

Attachments

• Text 1.jpg
    Text 1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Text 2.jpg
    Text 2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Text 3.jpg
    Text 3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 177
(I apologize for the essay, this is just how I talk when I'm serious about something and have time to collect my thoughts)

Ah yeah the issue with text chat is there is not much you can do to convey tone. You see, most of what I say is not meant to be taken at face value. For example that first one there, given the context it should be understood that it was a satirical joke based on you mentioning that people would have to wait less for donor perks if they became admins as donor perks take some time to take effect. In fact it was you yourself who instated the idea of applying for admin saying "yeah do it" over voice chat. So, context in mind, it can be understood that the first one is sarcasm. Now, on to the second two; what defines a slur? Is it just using the word at all, no matter the context or tone? I understand there will always be some margin of error where text is involved, but anything can be taken the wrong way without tone or context. Sure, those two remarks could be considered slurs in a certain scenario, but this is a video game. People constantly yell at each other, target each other, and do things to make each other salty; it's the nature of the game. People will get upset, people will get mad, people will say things they don't necessarily mean. Then there people like myself who opt to throw generalized empty insults at groups of people, which I personally believe is a better alternative to some things other people say and do. Such as singling people out, calling them things with serious intention to hurt, and telling them to shut up over the mic.

Something I and a few others personally had an issue with today was a member who expressed they were uncomfortable with their voice being muted for using a voice changer, apparently being against a rule that none of us could find in the rule list here on the forums. In fact, there Isn't even a mention of voice changers in the rules? they we're muted for twelve hours, if I remember correctly. I personally find something like this unacceptable. Especially considering they said they were uncomfortable with their voice, multiple people stated there was no mention of it in the rules, and then they were merely told "I guess you'll just have to use text then." The admin on duty then left shortly thereafter. This sort of thing is what I meant by harassment, when someone takes away someone else's ability to be comfortable seemingly without reason. They weren't doing any harm, their voice changer wasn't loud or obnoxious and yet an admin appeared seemingly from no where to mute them for a rule that doesn't exist on the current rule's page in the forums.

It's this sort of thing that I want to change.

I know more stuff will get dug up, more reasons not to endorse my application for admin. In that sort of twitter analogy fashion. If you see it fit to metaphorically "cancel" me, do so. I'm merely want to make my favorite server a better place for people to come to and unwind, to make it that moment of pure escapism that refreshes people's days.

I'm trying to make the only server I play on a little more enjoyable for the people.

To be frank, your application is lacking the core details which make it suitable. You don't have punishment times listed as well as didn't elaborate on why you would be a good candidate other than "I don't tolerate this or that" and "I'm laid back." Given the lack of body to the application I'm going to have to remain Neutral.

Reactions: ☁ Spaceblob11 ☁

(I apologize for the essay, this is just how I talk when I'm serious about something and have time to collect my thoughts)

Ah yeah the issue with text chat is there is not much you can do to convey tone. You see, most of what I say is not meant to be taken at face value. For example that first one there, given the context it should be understood that it was a satirical joke based on you mentioning that people would have to wait less for donor perks if they became admins as donor perks take some time to take effect. In fact it was you yourself who instated the idea of applying for admin saying "yeah do it" over voice chat. So, context in mind, it can be understood that the first one is sarcasm. Now, on to the second two; what defines a slur? Is it just using the word at all, no matter the context or tone? I understand there will always be some margin of error where text is involved, but anything can be taken the wrong way without tone or context. Sure, those two remarks could be considered slurs in a certain scenario, but this is a video game. People constantly yell at each other, target each other, and do things to make each other salty; it's the nature of the game. People will get upset, people will get mad, people will say things they don't necessarily mean. Then there people like myself who opt to throw generalized empty insults at groups of people, which I personally believe is a better alternative to some things other people say and do. Such as singling people out, calling them things with serious intention to hurt, and telling them to shut up over the mic.

Something I and a few others personally had an issue with today was a member who expressed they were uncomfortable with their voice being muted for using a voice changer, apparently being against a rule that none of us could find in the rule list here on the forums. In fact, there Isn't even a mention of voice changers in the rules? they we're muted for twelve hours, if I remember correctly. I personally find something like this unacceptable. Especially considering they said they were uncomfortable with their voice, multiple people stated there was no mention of it in the rules, and then they were merely told "I guess you'll just have to use text then." The admin on duty then left shortly thereafter. This sort of thing is what I meant by harassment, when someone takes away someone else's ability to be comfortable seemingly without reason. They weren't doing any harm, their voice changer wasn't loud or obnoxious and yet an admin appeared seemingly from no where to mute them for a rule that doesn't exist on the current rule's page in the forums.

It's this sort of thing that I want to change.

I know more stuff will get dug up, more reasons not to endorse my application for admin. In that sort of twitter analogy fashion. If you see it fit to metaphorically "cancel" me, do so. I'm merely want to make my favorite server a better place for people to come to and unwind, to make it that moment of pure escapism that refreshes people's days.

I'm trying to make the only server I play on a little more enjoyable for the people.

Thank you for responding,

You aren't wrong that it is hard to judge tone off a text message, but using certain words can show one more easily than others. To respond to the first portion of your first paragraph, you are correct that I told you to apply for admin over voice chat, but I already addressed my initial opinion in my first response, and why it changed in the second. Everyone obviously interprets things differently, so I am only going to speak for myself on this part. There are many other phrases and words you can use to describe the team you are playing against that isn't comparing them to a group of people. I would consider, "Does Blu know they suck?" as a generalized, empty insult at a group of people. When you use phrases that represent groups of people in an insult, you are implying that the group you reference is less than or worse than others.

As for your second paragraph, you are correct about using voice changers not being explicitly mentioned in the rules. I was going https://bans.panda-community.com/index.php?p=commslist&searchText=voicechanger&Submit=Search (click each name to see ban reason) off previous bans all under the reason of, "Voice Changer," and I was advised by @Gold that I was in the clear to give the mute. I will bring this issue up and have it fixed in the rules. .As for how I went along muting them, I gave them a warning to turn off the voice changer, which is when they replied with the, "I'm not comfortable with my voice" line. I then replied with, "I am just responding to the report on you, if you are uncomfortable using your voice, there is always text chat." I was hoping I had a demo of this session, but I don't, so who you trust is your judgement. Then as to why I joined and left so shorty, was because someone reported them for it. If the, "voice changer wasn't loud or obnoxious," then no one would have reported him for it.

And no, I'm not trying to "cancel" you, we're just pointing out things that directly contradict what you said in your application. I'm not sure you can compare these things to being dug up in a, "twitter analogy fashion," when all the quotes I brought up were made in the past three weeks–which is why I didn't include anything else.

Best,
Emma

I understand where that's coming from then, I still feel like it could have been executed/explained a bit better as an to-be-amended rule, as without knowing that the situation just sounds a bit off. I suppose I was just irked about the seemingly unnecessary mute.

At the time I thought the addition of comparing it to the infamous twitter 'Cancel Culture' was ironically funny, though looking back over it I could've worded it much better. I believe I will just keep any unserious comments to myself from now on as to not dilute the seriousness in what I say since text is unreliable, hopefully however we'll get to talk more over voice chat in the future and enjoy some humor.

Reactions: Emmathatsme

I understand where that's coming from then, I still feel like it could have been executed/explained a bit better as an to-be-amended rule, as without knowing that the situation just sounds a bit off. I suppose I was just irked about the seemingly unnecessary mute.

At the time I thought the addition of comparing it to the infamous twitter 'Cancel Culture' was ironically funny, though looking back over it I could've worded it much better. I believe I will just keep any unserious comments to myself from now on as to not dilute the seriousness in what I say since text is unreliable, hopefully however we'll get to talk more over voice chat in the future and enjoy some humor.

All good. Feel free to stick around on the forums! From the little bit we talked you seemed nice, so I really don't have anything against you personally

Reactions: Aces
Sorry for the delay on my reply school has kept me busy and yesterday was my last day before exams. Anyways I have to agree with what father pip said about how the application looks lacking and that you don't really explain why we should pick you. Overall your reaction in-game and on the application looks very unprofessional and I barely see you make any reports on the forums. -1

Reactions: salguod
Looking at the voting and the fact the applicant has been off for 10 days without letting us know I don't see this being accepted so this will have to be declined.
If you wish to apply in the future, please take any feedback given here for improvement and you cannot make a new application until the 14th of July 2021.

Declined

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread