1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Join us on our discord server for fun gaming evenings, discussions, music and much more!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you!
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion - Change the Mario Kart map

Discussion in 'Mario Kart - 193.192.59.191:27185' started by Zeprus, Feb 3, 2018.

?

Do you want the new map?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Zeprus

Zeprus Well-Known Member

Steam:
    The current map has huge balancing issues. @Jarza@Jarza does not have enough time to maintain and update the current map and adress these issues, thus I'm suggesting a map change.

To name them:
    1. The map is very open.
    2. It offers an easy to defend highground with direct lines of sight to almost all of the map, especially the enemy spawn.
    3. The spawn itself.
    1. The map is very open
    [​IMG]
    Top-down perspective of the current map with popular and effective sniper spots for both teams

As you can see the map gives a major advantage to Snipers and mobile classes like Soldier, Scout and Demoman hile penalizing slow or close range classes on 80% of the map. This is where the roof comes in. Countersniping any spots that are on the roof is additionally difficult because changing the position is much easier and faster on the roof than on the ground.

2. It offers an easy to defend highground
    The roof is the most important area of the map, whichever team controls it controls the entire map and dominates the server. This in itself is not a big problem because it gives a DM map a little objective to fight over. What is a problem however is how easy it is to defend.
    Why is it easy to defend? Mainly because there are only 6 different ways to acces the roof.
    [​IMG]
    Top-down perspective with roof access points in purple

And going on the roof at one of these points looks like this.

As you can see it is a fairly slow process putting you in the air for a substantial amount of time giving anyone who happens to be on the roof enough time to shoot you down or knock you back enough to send you down. Pairing this with a sniper, some scouts or anything that prevents the enemies from walking too far away from spawn locks down the map for one team.
    This does not always happen but it happens often enough to be an issue.

3. The spawn itself
    [​IMG]
    The inside of the RED spawn, BLU looks the same

[​IMG]
    The RED spawn from a popular sniper spot

[​IMG]
    The BLU spawn from a popular sniper spot

The spawn is in a very open area with only one exit. It is impossible to leave the spawn unnoticed unless you are cloaked. The spawn protection does not help a lot since you are unable to find cover during the duration getting killed as soon as it ends.The only cover you can use it to get to is right next to the spawn making it useless.

The new map

I am suggesting changing the map to Mario_Kart_Deluxe_v1 it is a very old edition of the Mario Kart map that has it's unique places and is not as straight forward. It has more obstacles giving cover while keeping the road clear and maintaining the "spirit" of the Mario Kart maps.
    It gives access to multiple spawn exits leading to two entirely different areas of the map which are also well covered. It offers a disco similar to the current ones except with only 3 songs.
    The roof is a no-build zone with the exception of teleporters. This seems like a downside at first however the roof does not offer any health or ammo packs making camping it pretty much worthless. It is also impossible to access it as a class that cannot explosive jump on other ways.
    Here is a video showcasing the map.

Click the following links for the .bsp or .bz2 file of the map if you want to look at it on your own.
    .bsp
    .bz2
    The source of the download.

If anybody else has a suggestion for a map please post it as a reply below, best with screenshots or a video showcasing it.

I decided to post this in the Mario Kart section of the forums instead of the suggestion section simply because previous map change requests were posted here as well and it makes it easier to keep track of them.
    If an admin feels like it should be in the suggestion section anyways feel free to move it.

#1 Zeprus, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  2. Zeprus

Zeprus Well-Known Member

Steam:
    @Kevin@Kevin could you add an announcement to Mario Kart promoting this thread? It would be great to have as many regulars vote as possible.

3. Fritz

Fritz New Member

Steam:
    The last time I saw this map being actively used on a mario kart server must have been about 6 years ago. Its a very detailed map, nicely constructed and something fresh from the monotony of the standard mario kart map. I played on that server for a pretty long time and I think it was universally viewed as a good map and nice change of pace. The server had a steady, healthy population and it didn't necessarily develop a meta like the usual maps do i.e. Snipers and Soldiers.

That being said, I do think it could use some slight changes in its current state.
    • There's far too many health kits dotted around the place. I'd suggest either removing some or downgrading them one step from a large to medium or medium to small.
    • The basement area for both spawns should have their resupply lockers substituted for a Large medkit and ammokit to prevent abuse of resupply in the middle of a fight where the opponent doesn't have that ability, they can always just use the exit to return to main spawn anyway.
    • Removing the resupply cabinet should also prevent a spawncamping stalemate around that area.
    • The basement could include useable doors on each end à la the later versions of the deluxe maps to allow people two different methods to enter the underground area.
    • Roof accessibility could possibly be changed, giving all classes access via the musical note jump pads. This could be done by placing another jump pad in both walled off alcove areas.
    • There was an issue I can remember regarding the secret area. It was very easily camped as players are instantly teleported into it and as such it allows for instant backstabbing and camping. Very much like the portal room in the Trade server. Perhaps setting the teleport point higher in the air would allow for atleast some retaliation against backstabbing.
    Overall, I think the map would be a welcome change. Its a more densely packed environment which would allow for interesting fights and wouldn't restrict players into having to pick hard counters in order fight back. The three different spawn exits is an obvious plus that would prevent spawncamping nearly entirely. I think it would also be a plus for players that want to be friendly as there's much more areas to escape to and the alternative spawn exits facilitates that also.

This is just my viewpoint, having played the map on a populated server. I feel it's a relatively unknown map to most players, so some input on how it actually plays might help when considering using it on panda.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Captain Caribbean

Steam:
    Bring back the old mk with towers in the corners :c (and players)

5. Zeprus

Zeprus Well-Known Member

Steam:
    The towers would just add additional spots for snipers and engineers to camp, my goal was to try to remove some of the balancing issues. Recently the "one team cannot access the map at all" situation has been worse than back when you were still active. Don't get me wrong I really like the maps Jarza put together but if he cannot fix those issues I don't think it's a good idea to keep them around. I will try to get into mapping myself once my exams are over, maybe I can start updating the map. For now though I think changing the map would be the best idea.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Zeprus

Zeprus Well-Known Member

Steam:
    I originally planned to keep the poll running for two weeks, but it seems pretty clear. If any full admin wants to close it now and put it on the to-do list I'm okay with it.

7. Zeprus

Zeprus Well-Known Member

Steam:
    The poll has been running for 14 days, I believe that's sufficient time. If any admin could close the thread and maybe bug @Kevin@Kevin to take care of it, I would appreciate it.