Suggested changes [mainly a repost] (1 Viewer)

Hisu

1. Replace all resupply lockers (including the one at the spawn) with invincible lv3 dispensers.
Q: Why do it?
A: Mostly, to eliminate spamming and "tactical retreats". With lockers, if you're injured, it's just a matter of how quick you gain back your health and reload your clip. Inability to run away and instantly return in full power will promote skill.

2. Put an invincible lv1 teleporter from spawn to the top of the tower, preferably somewhere no enemy spy would reach. I suggest a niche at the ceiling with sticky-repellant area around to prevent camping.
A: To help people avoid sniper camping.
Q: Why lv1?
A: First off, if it'd be a fast teleporter, it will discourage people from building their own teles. Second, let there be a way to avoid being camped, but let it be slow, so you'll have to choose between two behaviours: quick and risky, or slow and safe.

3. RTD: add a counter on overkill rtds, namely toxic and instant kill, so they couldn't be triggered by the same team more than once in, say, twenty minutes (I'd prefer an hour, but oh well, what do I know) and no more than once an hour for the same player.
A: Because those two rtds are not just good rtds, they are overkill on a map as small as dm_duel. And if you mess with them directly (like decreasing the time) they'll quickly become useless.
Q: Why an additional 'no more than once an hour for the same player' restriction?
A: To make sure no one will hog all the good rtds for themselves.

4. RTD: godlike should not protect from goomba stomping and environmental death.
A: For fun ^_^

5. RTD: improve air control for the duration of gravity rtd.
A: As it is now, low gravity is more a negative rtd. Improved air steering will make it useful.

6. RTD: make negative rtds re-trigger on respawn if player suicides or dies by environment.
A: To make it actually risky. Okay, you want to become an engine of destruction for 20 seconds, then be prepared to become a piece of useless shit for same 20 seconds.

7. Goomba stomp: add two checks.
a) For the player stomped on, check if they are invincible. If yes, cancel invincibility and instakill.
b) For the player who jumps, check if they are invincible or invisible. If yes, no goomba damage.

A: As with p.4, it's mainly for fun. But also to make that fun fair — it's no good if you can get free kills this way, but with a little reward to compensate for free kill removal.

8. Remove passive crit negation with vaccinator.
A: Passive crit negation makes it too overpowered. On a map like dm_duel, there are safe spots for medics to hide in, ensuring their patients near invulnerability, which hinders duels. On a duel map.
Q: You just want it because you camp a lot.
A: Being subjective doesn't automatically make you wrong. My point is still valid, even if my reasons are self-centered.

1. Replace all resupply lockers (including the one at the spawn) with invincible lv3 dispensers.
A: Mostly, to eliminate spamming and "tactical retreats". With lockers, if you're injured, it's just a matter of how quick you gain back your health and reload your clip. Inability to run away and instantly return in full power will promote skill.

It's already pretty easy to camp in the enemy tower. This would just make it even easier, and more frustrating to those whose spawn / tower it is.

2. Put an invincible lv1 teleporter from spawn to the top of the tower, preferably somewhere no enemy spy would reach. I suggest a niche at the ceiling with sticky-repellant area around to prevent camping.
A: To help people avoid sniper camping.
Q: Why lv1?
A: First off, if it'd be a fast teleporter, it will discourage people from building their own teles. Second, let there be a way to avoid being camped, but let it be slow, so you'll have to choose between two behaviours: quick and risky, or slow and safe.

Disagreed for a few reasons. First off, it does not really add anything. And even if it's level 1, it still discourages actual Engineers from placing their own. Thirdly, you say to make it so that it cannot be camped: this will not work. Any class can still camp it except for Demo and Spy (or backstabs) with your proposed solution. And stop to consider the fact that if a Demo wants to go to the enemy spawn, an enemy could just get near the teleporter to prevent the Demo from being able to damaging him with stickies at all.

3. RTD: add a counter on overkill rtds, namely toxic and instant kill, so they couldn't be triggered by the same team more than once in, say, twenty minutes (I'd prefer an hour, but oh well, what do I know) and no more than once an hour for the same player
A: Because those two rtds are not just good rtds, they are overkill on a map as small as dm_duel. And if you mess with them directly (like decreasing the time) they'll quickly become useless.
Q: Why an additional 'no more than once an hour for the same player' restriction?
A: To make sure no one will hog all the good rtds for themselves.

I would prefer toxic and insta kills and homing projectiles (the best) to just be shorter, like 10 seconds. As it is, donators have a higher chance of good RTDs; taking those good RTDs away from them for an hour would be screwing them over. I am not bothered by insta kills or toxics by enemies in the current state, it would be even less if they will be shorter. That seems enough, the time limit is not needed.

4. RTD: godlike should not protect from goomba stomping and environmental death

5. RTD: improve air control for the duration of gravity rtd.
A: As it is now, low gravity is more a negative rtd. Improved air steering will make it useful.

6. RTD: make negative rtds re-trigger on respawn if player suicides or dies by environment.
A: To make it actually risky. Okay, you want to become an engine of destruction for 20 seconds, then be prepared to become a piece of useless shit for same 20 seconds.

8. Remove passive crit negation with vaccinator.
A: Passive crit negation makes it too overpowered. On a map like dm_duel, there are safe spots for medics to hide in, ensuring their patients near invulnerability, which hinders duels. On a duel map.
Q: You just want it because you camp a lot.
A: Being subjective doesn't automatically make you wrong. My point is still valid, even if my reasons are self-centered.
[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

7. Goomba stomp: add two checks.
a) For the player stomped on, check if they are invincible. If yes, cancel invincibility and instakill.
b) For the player who jumps, check if they are invincible or invisible. If yes, no goomba damage.
A: As with p.4, it's mainly for fun. But also to make that fun fair — it's no good if you can get free kills this way, but with a little reward to compensate for free kill removal.

I don't feel like thinking about this one right now.

Also how or why the fuck is there an attachment in my post? I didn't do anything...

upload_2014-4-19_16-41-16.png

It's already pretty easy to camp in the enemy tower. This would just make it even easier, and more frustrating to those whose spawn / tower it is.
When I'm not sniping, I'm a pretty mediocre player, and, still, I have yet to see one single camp I cannot break. Well, yes, removing the lockers will make it easier to invade the enemy tower, but won't actually change much.

First off, it does not really add anything.
How making an additional way out doesn't add anything?
And even if it's level 1, it still discourages actual Engineers from placing their own.
From what I know about 'fake buildings', you can slow down that teleporter even further. Say, to half the lv1 speed.
Thirdly, you say to make it so that it cannot be camped: this will not work. Any class can still camp it except for Demo and Spy (or backstabs) with your proposed solution. And stop to consider the fact that if a Demo wants to go to the enemy spawn, an enemy could just get near the teleporter to prevent the Demo from being able to damaging him with stickies at all.
Yes, I consider it. Now you stop and consider that:
a) It will now take three camping demos to block all the ways out of the spawn room, while now it takes two (or just one, if they're good).
b) Aside from being an extra way out, indestructible uncampable teleporter to the top floor will actually allow friendly spies to break sieges.

I would prefer toxic and insta kills and homing projectiles (the best) to just be shorter, like 10 seconds.
Shorter does nothing for the amount, and it's the amount I'm concerned in.
As it is, donators have a higher chance of good RTDs; taking those good RTDs away from them for an hour would be screwing them over.
So let's make the restrictions more lenient for donators (like, twice an hour per person and not counting towards team). Or make it so it won't apply to them at all.

I forever fail to see the issue with these RTDs. 1 person can roll at a time, and if they get toxic, they have to be in range to kill you, if they get instakill, they need to hit you, depending on their class, and how good you are, this can easily be dodged, then primarily, it's only for 20 seconds of your life, adding to the fast respawn times, I find this to be a barely hindering thing. Just deal with getting killed a little unfairly once or twice.
I think limiting RTDs is just dumb, but sure, timing it down to 15 seconds might appease some people.

For the godmode stomping, it makes GODmode, not godmode....
I can easily just make a jump and strafe to their heads, and pop, there goes someone's roll.

Regarding gravity, air strafing is determinate on your initial velocity, and whenever I jump while moving forward I can always control my strafe perfectly. Just never press S or W.

Finally: subjective opinions aren't likely to enrich the game for the majority of other players.

if they get toxic, they have to be in range to kill you
dm_duel isn't exactly a spacious map, so they usually can close the distance in few seconds. Also:
1. Switch to scout
2. Hide somewhere nearby
3. Spam !rtd until you get toxic
4. Run to the enemy spawn
5. 15 second endless kill streak
if they get instakill, they need to hit you, depending on their class, and how good you are, this can easily be dodged
1. Switch to heavy
2. Spam !rtd until you get instakills
3. Go out on the arena
4. 15 second endless kill streak
then primarily, it's only for 20 seconds of your life, adding to the fast respawn times
Precisely my point. Toxic, when added to the fast respawn times, results in hopeless 20second death streak. You die, you respawn, you die instantly again. I think this is far more dumb than limited rtds.
For the godmode stomping, it makes GODmode, not godmode....
I can easily just make a jump and strafe to their heads, and pop, there goes someone's roll.
And it's bad because?..
Just as toxic (while still an overkill rtd) doesn't mean you can kill everything, so godmode shouldn't mean nothing can harm you. Let there be a little danger no matter what.
Regarding gravity, air strafing is determinate on your initial velocity, and whenever I jump while moving forward I can always control my strafe perfectly. Just never press S or W.
Still, making it easier to control will make it better without breaking anything.
Finally: subjective opinions aren't likely to enrich the game for the majority of other players.
They won't make a big change, but they will make at least some positive impact while making little to no negative. I think former outweighs the latter, and that's why I'm sure my opinion, while indeed subjective, is still valid from the common benefit point of view.

i agree about replacing the supply lockers, though in my opinion i would like all of them removed except one.
Now it is just to easy to kill someone invading your camp by staying near the supply lockers, so i believe it is best to make the fight more fair that way.

4. RTD: godlike should not protect from goomba stomping and environmental death.

I agree on that one :p

The rest i disagree but thats just my opinion.

Let's start off by analyzing your points; I might aswell get new ideas on the go.

I am a bit contrary about this one. Surely, I'd like to have some lockers removed, and this is since centuries ago. The thing that bothers me the most is having to remove them ALL. Every single map has one atleast, and one only would be perfect. Maybe the arena one? I know that people usually make a run for it in the arena, but If they do, it means that they'll almost always be easy targets to kill.
This would make some rules useless, more or less ('No camping as sniper near the supply locker', 'No spamming' even though this can still be done, in a worse way, so it's good). I do agree with you on this, big up!

I really don't know, I'm sceptical on this one. How does this prevent sniper camping? People could jump off the niche, and come downstairs.
I'll have to think more about this one.

Same as point one, I'm both agreeing and disagreeing.
It's true that some RTDs are an overkill here on duel, but it's also true that you don't always get them.
So, since you can roll every 2 minutes and there are 34 RTD effects (I'm not sure if I counted correctly), It's hard to get one particular effect.
To be honest, one time I got the same effect 3-4 times in a row.

10/10 agreed. Nothing else to say.

Well, this one doesn't depend on the server, but on the player. To strafe, simply move sidewards and turn the mouse in the respective direction. Your initial speed will think about propelling you forward. So, I can't tell anything more.

Very nice. Except for one little thing.. what If the player accidentally falls? I don't really think he wants his effect back again when he respawns.
It should be that when you die in the ways you mentioned above, the RTD effect time gets saved, and as soon as you respawn you get the same amount of time back. (Not sure if possible)

See n° 4.

See n° 7.

New ideas? No.. It's 3 am, I can't even realize if I'm tired or not..

.Frost
>2. How does this prevent sniper camping?
You know how I play, camping on players going upstairs. With a slow tele, they could jump there instantly, passing my camp, but they'd have to wait for it — a fair tradeoff, in my opinion.

>6. what If the player accidentally falls?
Well, risk means risk. You can have a bunch of people jump at you on your instakill rampage accidentally, so you must be prepared for your negative rtd gaining some more negativity on accidents as well.

About pt.1, I agree there needs to be one locker per base, but I think it better be the one on the fourth floor rather than on the first.

.Frost
>2. How does this prevent sniper camping?
You know how I play, camping on players going upstairs. With a slow tele, they could jump there instantly, passing my camp, but they'd have to wait for it — a fair tradeoff, in my opinion.

>6. what If the player accidentally falls?
Well, risk means risk. You can have a bunch of people jump at you on your instakill rampage accidentally, so you must be prepared for your negative rtd gaining some more negativity on accidents as well.

About pt.1, I agree there needs to be one locker per base, but I think it better be the one on the fourth floor rather than on the first.

Alright so thanks for the explanation in the first place.
I'm still sceptical, a teleporter (Slow or not) would still "will discourage people from building their own teles". Also, sometimes it's not hard to escape from you camping on the other side.

On pt.6, do you agree about having the previous amount when respawning, or you want the effect to be reseted totally?

.Frost
>I'm still sceptical, a teleporter (Slow or not) would still "will discourage people from building their own teles". Also, sometimes it's not hard to escape from you camping on the other side.

a) As existing teleporters do discourage people from playing as engineers, I say it must be a teleporter that recharges slowly enough to be nothing more than an emergency exit if both arena and the stairs are camped.
b) Sometimes the way up is blocked by excessive spawncamp; with this sorta teleporter, one can change class to dr-spy, take the tele up and wreak havoc on base the enemy built upstairs. As it is now, building on the fourth floor is nigh safe; with an unblockable way up, there will be no safe spot to build.

>On pt.6, do you agree about having the previous amount when respawning, or you want the effect to be reseted totally?
The latter, I think. It's both more fair, outbalancing the possible positive accidents for good rtds, and easier to implement.

I don't like having an easy life. Campings are the best thing to negate, it gives a more competitive side to the server.
Also, couldn't an heavy camp the tele?
You know how I do, when I break a camping in progress, I leave the teleporter and trap the people who teleport to my base (Until a genius comes and destroys it).
That's what I'm afraid of. I know you said that it would be uncampable, but I don't see how you would go to make other classes (Other than demo and spy) not camp it.

Alright. It doesn't really matter to me anyways; sometimes you just can't suicide to avoid a bad RTD. Also it's just 20 seconds of my life, not an issue.

.Frost
>I don't see how you would go to make other classes (Other than demo and spy) not camp it.
Guarding and camping isn't the same thing. Having to guard three exits out of the spawn instead of two means 50% more base vulnerability, which is my aim ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread