Should there be a rule against downspiking? (1 Viewer)

Should there be a rule against downspiking?

• Yes, it is too annoying and OP

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No, it is tactical

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

EvoWarrior5

Contributor
Quite some players frequently complain about people who downspike (to those of you who do not know the term: it is blasting a rocket downwards into a lower area / cliff so that the enemy has a hard time predicting when it will come up, therefore has difficulty blasting it). I am curious whether you think there should be a rule against it, or whether there should not.

"Downspiking is too annoying and overpowered. I do not like it and I wish it would be enforeced not to do it." if this sounds like you, vote yes.

"Downspiking is a tactical decision and even though it is annoying, a rule against it is not needed." if this sounds more like you, vote no.

Evo

Yes and no.
It is a method used to kill people who don't know how to deal with it. It's kind of the same as directing rockets, it's hard to reflect a rocket going at the speed of 190> while you just reflected one, especially when it comes to close range.
Downspiking in maps that were designed to destroy rockets when they hit under you is kind of unfair, yet you can do the same.

I'll go with no.

I'm sure everyone else will contradict me, but it's an opinion.

There's a few things that influence this:
A) The frequency of said spiking
B) The style of spiking

If the person if continuously hard spiking on a map like... Lithium let's say, then yes, it's annoying, shouldn't be ruled against.
Occasionally soft-spiking so the rocket catches on a ledge, on something like Box_Space or Oilrig is cheap, but again, shouldn't be ruled against, and is easily dealt with.
Fact is, if you can direct a hardspike back with an equal side-hardspike then you can generally catch someone off guard pretty easily.
There are ways to counter downspikes, most people just don't know how.
If you downspike when rallying with someone at a high speed and changing to DS, it's tactical.
There are however, some players I could name that DS every shot, and it does get annoying.

In essence, it's the same as highspiking or swiping or directing.

In my opinion there are maps, namely tfdb_box_sides_a3 - tfdb_orenge_blu_red_v2 or tfdb_pingpong_b1 and some others that promote downspiking (small maps and with some kind of barrier between both teams that makes it very easy). When I say promoting I mean that new players or people with little experience playing dodgeball do it even if it isn't on purpose.

Then again someone could complain that just to avoid the downspiking in such maps you tend to high spike so personally I'd vote for "no" because we could go into switching, orbiting etc.

Orbiting is pretty much necessary to play effectively at all. I still don't see what could be wrong with switching, just pay a bit of attention and look at the rocket. An upspike is easily orbited, a downspike however, is not. I realise that new players can do it unintentionally, but they can be told what they are doing and asked to mind it. It doesn't have to be as strict a rule as for stealing, but excessive intentional usage of it can be discouraged.

I've got a specific player in mind that intentionally does it constantly, and knows it, and even though other players discourage it, they still do it anyway, and as such, becomes disliked by players. The reason is: "Why else play on this map if not for downspiking" on Oilrig... where the rocket catches and wastes time under the platform. Even for seasoned players, a downspike is hard to counter due to their nature to very quickly slide along a ledge they catch on, and hit someone since they move horizontally rather than diagonally, so orbit becomes useless unless you predict it perfectly.

I personally think it wouldn't be smart to ban downspiking, I mean come on guys, it's just a play style, and if people complain about downspiking, then they should get an alternative playstyle to counter it. So I think no, it should not be against the rules since it's more like a playstyle than a trolling tactic.

If you're going to forbid downspiking then I say you also forbid highspiking, orbiting, directing and reflecting rockets.

If you're going to forbid downspiking then I say you also forbid highspiking, orbiting, directing and reflecting rockets.

I do not grasp how you can dislike switching, but not dislike downspiking.

I do not grasp how you can dislike switching, but not dislike downspiking.

I've been through this with him a thousand times ._.
Directing and switching is totally a luck thing. Because I only rely on luck to kill people :/

It's a gameplay style, it differs from an individual to another, that's probably why you don't get how I hat directing, because I can't blast it while going to fast, but I can deal with downspiking.
Noodl, it isn't my fault that all of your kills come with luck, wall kills, afk people, 2 people standing close to each other. I call that luck, you call it skills, your fault not mine.

Reactions: Noodl
It doesn't have to be as strict a rule as for stealing, but excessive intentional usage of it can be discouraged.

This could work but like the new rule "No circling for too long" it's something subjective. Overall everybody has common sense and an idea of what is excessive, but of course if everyone did we wouldn't need the rule in the first place, so if you kick or ban someone I can see the typical rage-appeal saying it wasn't that much.

As for the other things, here at Panda I've only seen a player called "anonymous" complain about people who orbit but in other server you're indeed flamed if you can't direct hit the rockets.

While we're on the topic, gimme some opinions on when players camp on the other side of the map, many players see, to get annoyed with the super CQC.

While we're on the topic, gimme some opinions on when players camp on the other side of the map, many players see, to get annoyed with the super CQC.
That's not a problem, unless they're blocking.
Shoot behind you while it's 160 mph> and they'll 98% die.
Unless the person is you, which likely will blast it back to whoever sent it using the luck thing.

P.S. Many players seem to get annoyed* <3

I think if someone is ever going to ban something in Dodgeball it will be - Stealing and "Ambush" (Getting close to an enemy and reflecting his rocket real fast so he doesn't have time to reflect)

I think if someone is ever going to ban something in Dodgeball it will be - Stealing and "Ambush" (Getting close to an enemy and reflecting his rocket real fast so he doesn't have time to reflect)
That's what I mean by directing within close range!

I always punish people for getting close and intentionally reflecting back real fast. Not because that in itself is against the rules (unless this counts as blocking, but provided you're not in his face you can hardly call it blocking), but because of the risk of breaking the most commonly broken rule: stealing. If you get close to the enemy there is a high chance (by definition at least 50%) the rocket does not go for you, so long as you are not the last person alive. So in most of the cases you will steal the rocket by doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread