Declined Remove vsh_skyhigh_resort_b9_s (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneezing slug

Hi.

I've no clue if the people in charge of this server are receptive to feedback or not as I'm not particularly well-tuned to the environment between the staff and the community just yet, but I feel this should be addressed in regards to the VSH server.

It should go without saying that, like any asymmetrical gaming experience, certain maps will favor one team over another in varying degrees. One could make a direct comparison to Dead By Daylight's Killer versus Survivor experience, where certain maps are Killer-friendly while others remain a haven for Survivor players. In this respect, some VSH maps favor the Hale or certain Hale variants. Other maps favor the RED team. Skyhigh, however, does not fall under either of these categories.

Skyhigh is a menace to both the Hale and the RED team. RED team is given very little ground to traverse (to say nothing of the train that happens to have a significant mortality rate on RED team members) and escape the Hale's reach, forcing them to rely on a nest by spawn or a high-mobility class. It also forces them to rely on a specific strategy so much that is also what causes this map to be obnoxious for the Hale: Telefragging.

Telefragging is a niche trick in the RED team's bag of tools to beat the Hale, because usually, the means at which to accomplish a successful telefrag require careful timing and the right conditions to welcome the opportunity to one-shot the Hale. This map however makes it extremely easy to telefrag the Hale due to the mechanics of the map- When you fall off the side of the platform, you are teleported to the control point, which gives the RED team a repetitive, nearly guaranteed means to telefrag the Hale. This leads to incredibly quick games and an overall unfun experience for all parties.

And given that the map is inherently disadvantageous to the RED team as-is, this forces all engineer players to focus their attention into attempting to telefrag the Hale as a result. This isn't just an exploit (if you can call it that, because technically speaking it is all within the mechanics of the gamemode and map itself- which in of itself is the problem) that some people are abusing; It's one of the only strategies RED team has and thus it is a constant in every game you play of Skyhigh.

I've been informed that the map is somewhat of a classic, so I can sympathize if some hold a nostalgic attachment to the map, but as far as balance is concerned between the Hale and the RED team, this is an incredibly frustrating map to find yourself playing on. You also make the argument that we could simply rtv every time we wanted off the map, but if the map has to be rtv'd off of everytime it shows up, should it even be in the map cycle?

I've also chosen to push for its removal rather than a fix to the map because of how foundational the issue that is causing this telefrag abuse is to the map itself, as well as the fact that I am entirely unaware if Panda possesses anyone daring enough to brace the harsh weather that is the incredibly unforgiving Source SDK program to edit the map VMF itself.

Thanks for hearing me out.

I think this should be moved to suggestion if anything and add a poll of whether to keep the map as one option or remove the map. Not so sure since there's another thread about updating the map as well and that's awaiting feedback and the votes sway towards updating it. Regardless I'd love to see regulars and people that play on VSH from time to time voice their opinions and vote.

• Agree
Reactions: Aces and bap!
I didn't know there was a suggestion forum admittedly- Probably should have started there.

I'd certainly favor updating the map as opposed to outright removing it, I'm just not familiar with the groundwork of the community and whether or not it possesses people who can actually tackle Source SDK to edit the map.

Reactions: Falkì
Yeah its busted. But its fun let it stay xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread