Pointfarming (1 Viewer)

TWC

Hi, I want to talk about the rule point farming and how it works since me and probably other players are confused about how it works. As far as I know point farming is getting points from exploits/bugs but jb seems to have a different view, I always thought its only about exploits/bugs but it seems point farming can be counted by just playing the game. Would really appreciate someone to specify how it works I personally don't care at all about the points but people having different views about how this rule works is just annoying since you can't know what is point farming and what is not.

Reactions: Jim Bob and vinny
In terms of point farming, I really don't see it that much on the server but I can see how it maybe a little bit in the gray area in Jailbreak especially if someone ( say like the Warden) says "XXX kills only". In blue team and as being guard it's kind of defeating the whole point of guards being "active" since you're kind of restricting the guards what they can do ( if you consider this even a valid order for only a specific person to kill someone). The point of the guards are to assist warden in completing the round, make sure the warden doesn't die for the most part, and chase+ kill rebeller or those deemed "KoS". The whole point of that command would limit the guards ability to kill people and for what reason, some virtual points in a video game or another kill on a strange weapon? Realistically the guards won't just stand there and watch the warden to be killed, that's common sense ( unless you guys really don't like the warden but that's a case by case scenario as in general I don't think everyone wants a fail round to occur over and over again).

Now talking about point farming in general, I'll refer to the Trade Servers for the most part in this section, I've only scarcely seen people "point farm" which is most commonly seen;
As Scout; Throwing the mad milk running in+out of spawn.
As Soldier;
As Pyro; Throwing the gas passer and running in+out of spawn, Airblasting paired with a Cow Mangler soldier in spawn.
As Demoman; With a pyro griefer on the enemy team use stickies to airblast stickies into the enemy spawn ( in addition gain more points if an engineer in spawn keeps creating buildings for the demo to destroy for more points)
As Heavy; Sandvich dispenser (primarily for those fighting on the battlements outside of spawn and just throwing it to people when they enter spawn).
As Engineer; Use to be able to build and destroy mini sentry to farm points, teleporter afk trick with enemy engineer as well as extinguishing with the dispenser.
As Medic; Vaccinator Healer + Ubering self/afk person ( sometimes pocketing someone, but that can be iffy at times) as well as extinguishing with medi-gun.
As Sniper; Throwing the jarate running in+out of spawn.
As Spy; Breaking Razor back from enemy sniper ( can easily be done with the help of engineer putting a teli for the spies to use to go into the opposing team's boxing ring spawn).

Would really like to see how some other servers consider "point farming", I generally found it to be a gray area for the most part and I can't have eyes on everyone 24/7 to see how they play the game. It's more easy in the case on Jailbreak if the warden ever gives a command in any way implying that say they can only kill said person if they deemed them KoS for either failing in a task by not surviving or not successfully being the first (or first few). I really believe it's a mindset thing and that's it's not too much of a problem. At this point I have nothing else to add to this discussion and just typing whatever pop ups onto my mind. Hopefully this help, and if not sorry for just saying whatever was on my mind.

TWC, me and a handful of other players discussed this a small bit, I said that there is a "game" that some blues like to do on hopjb and that is to let Reds split into 2 groups and make them go into either side of knife pit, But instead of doing a creative or fun game they choose to do basically russian roulette using the built in roulette but instead of a game killing the players Blus do, leading to the Blu players getting points for basically legal MFK.

That's why I count it as point farming, Same as moving the winner of a game out of the game, teleporting the losers outside and killing them, That's obviously just point farming.

• Disagree
Reactions: PNN and TWC
I said that there is a "game" that some blues like to do on hopjb and that is to let Reds split into 2 groups and make them go into either side of knife pit, But instead of doing a creative or fun game they choose to do basically russian roulette using the built in roulette but instead of a game killing the players Blus do, leading to the Blu players getting points for basically legal MFK.
well, its part of the map and the gamemode the fact is unfun can be a personal opinion and as I said its like trivia.
, teleporting the losers outside and killing them, That's obviously just point farming
it has the choice to teleport them and if warden mentioned they should be killed I don't see its a big issue it was allowed before now I am not sure.

Reactions: vinny
As for the teleporting and killing them,

In my opinion doing that instead of using the built in mechanic which is made for that purpose is some sort of pointfarming. Yes they have the option to teleport them, but that’s so they can be able to teleport players out for dr or other reasons.

That’s only my opinion on the matter, have not even checke with the other admins about this.

good thread btw

You know what, I'll just reply to the whole thread now, it's not like im having exams today.

Pointfarming is some sort of way to gain the little extra points to climb those ranks faster than everyone else. Usually with pointfarming there has to be two parts, or two people, to be able to execute the pointfarm. Example on pointfarm with two players can be taken from VSH, where one player is saved, and who can then deal 19k damage at the end while the hale is waiting to get killed by him. On Jailbreak there are usually not two people who does this together, and that's because if they are on opposite teams nothing will really happend, and one kill does not count as pointfarming. The teleport pointfarm is the only one I can imagine that has two parts. However, there are numerous ways to pointfarm on Jailbreak with only one player involved.

Few examples would be:
- building sentry as blue
- massbaiting with milk, jarate etc.(teambanable)
- teleports (placed by blue engineers)
- teleport players out of mariokart or other games and kill them, instead of killing with the button (my opinion)

As Chae says, most of them are in the grey area, as they mostly does it one time every now and then, and not every minute. I also know many people has different opinions on the matter. I don't know how we could type this out in the rules so it can be clear for everyone, and with this I think it's smart to avoid even the tiniest pointfarm. Also would like to point out that if an admin says "stop doing that" regardless of your opinion on pointfarming, it's best to just listen to the admin.

sorry for the doublepost, I was bored.

Users who are viewing this thread