PC help required (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvoWarrior5

Contributor
For several days now, several video types won't play. I can't watch videos on Youtube, nor can I watch mp4 files on VLC media player. FLV files work fine, and Windows Media Player has no issues either. I do hear audio, but no video plays.

I'm trying to update my nVidia drivers (even though games play just fine), but there's several issues there.

1. When I try to update the driver I just get a "Failed" message after a long-ass time.
2. My nVidia control panel is non-existent for some reason so I can't open that to check what my GPU is exactly to see which driver I could manually download
3. The nVidia site won't tell me what my GPU is because I need Java for it, which I already installed but it doesn't understand that or something.

Any ideas?

For several days now, several video types won't play. I can't watch videos on Youtube, nor can I watch mp4 files on VLC media player. FLV files work fine, and Windows Media Player has no issues either. I do hear audio, but no video plays.

I'm trying to update my nVidia drivers (even though games play just fine), but there's several issues there.

1. When I try to update the driver I just get a "Failed" message after a long-ass time.
2. My nVidia control panel is non-existent for some reason so I can't open that to check what my GPU is exactly to see which driver I could manually download
3. The nVidia site won't tell me what my GPU is because I need Java for it, which I already installed but it doesn't understand that or something.

Any ideas?
download DDU (removes the old drivers completely) and try again.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I deleted my old driver through device manager and then installed the latest one, still not working.

I'm thinking it might be a Windows issue, considering that there was some update a while ago and the issue might have started after that. Guess I'll have to figure out how to go back to the older version of Windows.

Installing the latest drivers through Windows' "find drivers online" feature won't do ya any good, if that's the one you're using. I would suggest going to device manager, seeing which specific pieces of hardware you have in your machine, and then manually go and google to find the newest driver.

Alternatively you could use DriverBooster. I have heard DriverBooster shouldn't be the best tool for the job, but I've never had any issues with it.

Imo, by far the easiest thing to do, would just to be reinstalling Windows. Sounds like something has been severely messed up in your machine.

Have you tried using a different browser, or just ctrl+shift+n to get an incognito window, and see if the YouTube videos work there?

Also it's pretty hard to troubleshoot, since it could be a quadrillion different things. However I've written what imo is the most plausible and useful I could think of at this moment.

I deleted my old driver through device manager and then installed the latest one, still not working.

I'm thinking it might be a Windows issue, considering that there was some update a while ago and the issue might have started after that. Guess I'll have to figure out how to go back to the older version of Windows.
run the DDU software and then dl the nvidia driver from nvidia.com directly.

What Kevin said... Use DDU to wipe all video drivers and install a fresh copy. It's the best and quickest solution

Reactions: Kevin
I just tried it and as I expected it didn't work. Guess some sort of Windows recovery is my next step then.

Laptop or desktop? If this doesnt work I'd put money on a broken videocard.

It's a laptop, from msi. I've had it for less than two months.

By the way something I forgot to mention is that games work just fine. Been playing TF2 for a few hours now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread