Completed Mario Kart Balance Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeprus

Gameserver Admin
Staff member
Gameserver Admin
Time for another Mario Kart suggestion.

Suggestion 1:
In recent times there has been a siginificant increase in Demomen abusing stickyjumps in conjunction with the spawn protection.
The way it currently is you can jump across the entire map with just two stickies and coincidentally you can place and detonate two stickies before your spawn protection runs out essentially negating all damage you would receive from blast jumping.
This allows for some incredibly unfun strategies like constantly bombing, reengaging after losing a fight without the opponent having enough time to get to a health pack even if the fight happened on the other side of the map and generally constantly harassing the enemy team by blast jumping behind them in a matter of seconds.
I suggest excluding self damage from the spawn protection or disabling it once the player shoots a stickybomb.

Suggestion 2:
Then there's also the Sticky Jumper.
While you can't shoot with stickies during bombing it aditionally reduces the risk of it since after bombing you can just blast jump your way out of there, refresh your spawn protection and repeat.
The Sticky Jumper additionally give way too much mobility on Mario Kart. While its entire purpose is giving a huge amount of mobility it is usually limited by corners, walls and especially the skybox. This is not the case on Mario Kart and you can continuously jump from one end to the other disengaging, reengaging and healing all you want. It is very overpowered and very frustrating to play against.
It is also literally broken in the sense that while blast jumping with it, if you detonate your stickies without jumping, you cannot be mini-crit by the direct hit or reserve shooter which would usually be its natural counter.
I suggest nerfing it to allowing a maximum of one sticky at a time.

Suggestion 3:
The last thing I want to mention is sniper.
While in the past sniper has gotten nerfs by blocking their line of sight on the roof to force much riskier positioning there's an ongoing issue with yet again the spawn protection.
It lasts long enough for snipers to get one or two free shots every time. It is somewhat necessary to counter snipers that are hiding and shooting at the spawn but at the same time also frustrating to play against.
I suggest removing the spawn protection on snipers when they scope in and/or shoot.

The source for our spawn protection plugin is available and I'm willing to implement and test these changes should they pass the vote.
For limiting the Sticky Jumper to one sticky this plugin can do it. It does have tf2items as dependency however.

If you're not a regular or semi-regular player on Mario Kart or have been in the past reasonably explain your vote.

Reactions: Fredo
Just wanted to throw in my two cents because you seemed keen to know how players that use the sticky jumper felt. I agree that it's pretty easy to exploit the stickybomb launcher with the spawn protection in its current state so I think it's actually a really good idea to disable spawn protection after any kind of attack is performed.

I think it'd even be fair to apply this to all classes, once you're engaging someone else in a fight your protection should end - but at the same time it could lead to more spawn camping, so allowing someone a free rocket jump or a few potshots if they're getting camped is perhaps not such a bad thing.

As for sniper, I think disabling protection on scope in is perfectly fair given how lethal sniper is on the map; being as open as it is.

Lastly, for the sticky jumper - I don't personally feel like it should be nerfed, I think being limited to your GL and melee is enough of a tradeoff. But at the same time I can understand the concern with people being able to freely re-engage/abandon a fight by jumping to the other side of the map for a health kit or immediately rushing their opponent after being killed and before their opponent might be able to heal or retreat.

If people do vote to nerf it then I think I'd be okay with only 1 active sticky on the jumper. You'd still be able to air pogo and if you're good enough at it you can pretty much still accomplish what you could with a normal double sticky jump. At least this way it'd be introducing a bit of a skill mechanic that isn't all that easy to pull off 100% of the time.

Reactions: Zeprus and Fredo
I'm willing to implement and test these changes should they pass the vote

1654516362610.png

We've applied following changes to the spawn protection plugin and tested them based on the poll results:
  • Self-damage from Demomen is now exluded from the spawn protection
  • Snipers lose their spawn protection upon scoping. (This does not disable the spawn protection when using the huntsman)
    • Disabling the spawn protection on shooting turned out to be too much of a hassle
  • I also fixed a bug in the plugin that resulted in inconsistent spawn protection timings
I have introduced two new cvars "sm_spawnprotect_nerf_sniper" and "sm_spawnprotect_nerf_stickyjump" which can be used to enable or disable the changes mentioned above (excluding the bug fix).
They are set to 1 by default which enables both the changes.
Attached to the post are both the compiled version and source of the changed plugin.

For nerfing the Sticky Jumper following plugin does the job and works as intended: [TF2] Sticky Jumper Bombz (and its dependency TF2Items)
It requires the cvar "sticky_jumper_max_bombs" to be set to 1.

Attachments

• SpawnProtection.sp
    4.6 KB · Views: 87
  • SpawnProtection.smx
    6.2 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: Fredo and Madact
We tested the fixes/changes and it all works fine.
It's now ready to be installed and configured.

Created task #242 - Mario kart balance suggestion.

Reactions: Madact
both changes have been implemented - let me know incase any issues occur.

• Happy
Reactions: Zeprus and Fredo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread