Lags.... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbooooom

Don't know if this is the proper place to post it or if this matter came up before.

Before I write about my experiences with lags on the dodgeball server #4 I just want to mention that I play on a solid PC (I7-4790, running Win 8.1) with plenty of memory, good graphics card and an otherwise stable and fast internet connection. My ping (using ping command in console) is around 50-60 normally. Well and I play dodgeball for a few years already (with a break inbetween) so i know the difference between a miss and a lag.

I think every regular db player knows the feeling: easy incoming rocket, your aim and timing is absolutely right… you blast… but it does not register. If you are lucky you still can orbit …but the rocket might not even come around.

Bummer. LAG again.

Other symptoms: short screen freezes or teleports for a moment, no sound for an incoming rocket at all (not often but it happens) or you hear the sentry sound only when the rocket is about to impact.

Over time I noticed that this mostly happens at the moment :

1) other players connecting or disconnecting

2) RTD is used (the moment it starts or ends)

3) some ad coming up in chat (rules or server links etc)

4) smb uses server commands like “!call” , some vote is coming up or if there is extensive chat/spamming going on.

Generally it is worse if more players are on the server.
worst case if RTD and (dis)connecting players come together...

Just wondering if there is any way to reduce those lags?

RTD for instance is rather disturbing the game anyway?

Would it be possible to turn off RTD or/and reduce the server ad messages?

Just thoughts…

Greetings

Booooom

• Agree
Reactions: TBotV63
Personally I haven't experienced lags in the DB servers anytime recently

This is related to the server net code and happens on every panda community server I have played on, most common when you play sniper. I spent days adjusting the net code with Kevin about a year ago, I am not sure if he has changed it for the worse since then or if it is not actually the net code as the same problem occurs when you overload your server(which I do not expect Kevin to do).

Edit: To clarify. This is not actually lag, it is a communication issue between the client and the server, most notably on player positioning, projectile positioning and player hitboxes.

Thanks for the reply, Inu.

yes, maybe those are not classic lags but it seems pretty much like the server is busy with other things for a moment.

To clarify, those are usually not long freezes but tiny delays (with a good chance of killing you playing dodgeball).

It seems worse the last few days, thats why I took the time to post this.

of course you can't avoid having ppl connecting or disconnecting. But maybe there is a possibility to tweak or turn off RTD or the ads?
Maybe worth a try?

Thanks for the reply, Inu.

yes, maybe those are not classic lags but it seems pretty much like the server is busy with other things for a moment.

To clarify, those are usually not long freezes but tiny delays (with a good chance of killing you playing dodgeball).

It seems worse the last few days, thats why I took the time to post this.

of course you can't avoid having ppl connecting or disconnecting. But maybe there is a possibility to tweak or turn off RTD or the ads?
Maybe worth a try?
aint related to RTD/Chat adverts, i for myself dont experience any of those "lag" issues.
could be also simply being a packetloss issue/bad routing from your ISPs side as otherwise there would've be more complains towards lags from other people and not just you.

also a i7 4790 doesnt help you at all in a non-multithreaded game as tf2, same goes for a 1000$ gpu (as example).

This is related to the server net code and happens on every panda community server I have played on, most common when you play sniper. I spent days adjusting the net code with Kevin about a year ago, I am not sure if he has changed it for the worse since then or if it is not actually the net code as the same problem occurs when you overload your server(which I do not expect Kevin to do).

Edit: To clarify. This is not actually lag, it is a communication issue between the client and the server, most notably on player positioning, projectile positioning and player hitboxes.

nothing changed since then.

aint related to RTD/Chat adverts, i for myself dont experience any of those "lag" issues.
could be also simply being a packetloss issue/bad routing from your ISPs side as otherwise there would've be more complains towards lags from other people and not just you.

also a i7 4790 doesnt help you at all in a non-multithreaded game as tf2, same goes for a 1000$ gpu (as example).

nothing changed since then.
I have experienced the same twitches and location, hitbox discrepancies on 2Fort, most notably whilst playing Sniper. This is not an issue on my end either.

This is not actually lag, it is a communication issue between the client and the server

Isn't that the very definition of lag?

@OP: Not sure about what could be changed in the chat ads, but I know I'd be against removing RTD. It's a fun addition.

Isn't that the very definition of lag?

@OP: Not sure about what could be changed in the chat ads, but I know I'd be against removing RTD. It's a fun addition.
Ehm no. Lag can have many different causes and the usual way of wording lag is either related to FPS or Ping, which are not the issue at hand.

I've seen you saying you're lagging when things like that happen since a week ago or so. I've no expierence with these lag issues. Neither do other players. I don't know what causes it but I hope that it'll dissapears.

Good luck with the lag problem.

i'm debugging together with inu new settings, we'll see if something changes or if its plugin related (though shouldnt be as already checked).

thanks for all the replies!
I do think I'm not the only one experiencing those - lets call it "strange moments" - when somebody connects/disconnects , RTD etc.
I've seen countless times solid players miss easy rockets and orbits as well for the same reason.

I'm not techy enough to know the exact cause but I think its rather unlikely that the reason is on my end.
Yesterday evening I played a bit and it only happened once. At this specific moment two players left and one connected...

lel ok so only 2 players are allowed from now on at each server and no one else is allowed to join topkek

Are you sure your internet/computer is not just shitty... or do you use any mods/huds? Outdated huds/mods causes a lot different problems.

Are you sure your internet/computer is not just shitty... or do you use any mods/huds? Outdated huds/mods causes a lot different problems.
Yes I am and I am experiencing very similar issues that are exclusive to the Panda servers.

• Agree
In American DB most anyone who dies immediately claims LAGGGGGG. Maybe there is something to it, lol? I for one die because I missed the darn rocket :)

• Funny
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread