Completed [JB] Remove Security Entity Limit Plugin (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicake

This plugin's functionality is to remove random entities from the map to prevent server crashes.

As seen by jb_carnival and recently rare occurences at jb_district_remake_v10, the plugin doesn't even protect the server from crashes, and the random entity removing feature is horrible and a really bad solution for this problem.
We've had random doors, minigame logic and even areaportals getting removed by the plugin, causing some of the map to be unplayable.

(Example of the plugin killing an areaportal creating this)

20220906204240_1.jpg

(Example of the plugin killing doors of a minigame which creates huge problems as you can imagine)
20220906210655_1.jpg

The plugin also went after absolutely vital entities, such as Pizza delivery's Math check, Pimp My Ride's Red start verifier (lack of both of made us unable to do the minigame.) and even took away a Mechanics driver's ability to move forward.

Jb_District_Remake has also updated to V11 to massively decrease its entities (-~300) to avoid this from happening. update jb maps

Seems this is more of a @Kevin decision rather than the community so no poll.

the plugin doesn't even protect the server from crashes

I'm assuming what you mean by this is that the server still can crash due to entities. I know this for a fact due to us forced crashing when the game plugin itself or sourcebans breaks with, what I assume is creating more entities beyond the limit to force a crash.

Wondering if the plugin only removes the entities at the loading of the map? Then during playing the map those added during gameplay don't get removed?

Would be great if this could be expanded on why it doesn't work. As I'm under the assumption that it's not completely useless, it is doing it's part to what it believes isn't necessary removes to avoid crashing but isn't doing a very good 'job'.

Also further into the suggestion to mention you've fixed it by removing over 300 entities. Does that not solve the problem just to update the map?
Also just to make sure: if this plugin wasn't here in the first place yet this map was uploaded and made playable, would the server crash straight away? As there wouldn't be a plugin to remove the surplus of entities?

I guess what I'm doing is trying to understand the plugin better.

Reactions: Ian
if all maps would've been optimized and well made there wouldnt be a need for this plugin.
i rather have entities removed than the server crashed.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: YanViktor and Ian
Wondering if the plugin only removes the entities at the loading of the map? Then during playing the map those added during gameplay don't get removed?
Correct, which makes this plugin pretty useless at actually preventing server crashes that would happen post map load (see bonzo below minigame).

Semi has pretty much explained pretty much what I listed above so it doesn't need answering. So you know, you can save your free time!...Probably should of holla'd at Semi first :pepega:

• Funny
The way it works from our understanding is that it deletes random entities every round if a map reaches 2000 entities on round start.

Maps like district, hopjb, etc use something called point_template, which basically is an entity for storing minigame entities to get called in and spawn the entities in it only when a blue starts the minigame.

Though, as blank discovered, entities in point_templates actually do get spawned in at round starts all at once for a split second, and then quickly killed right after, so a map with very complex minigame logic of these point templates can show you a round start edict count of like 1900+ while right after and during the round, it's at around like 1500, not risking a crash.

The plugin detects all the entities for a split second on round start and goes "oh shit I guess to many entities! i don't know that these are actually about to get despawned. time to start deleting some"

In the end, updating district to v11 will fix this issue, because it has nowhere near 2000 possible entities at once, but the plugin is still faulty and doesn't take into account the way mappers optimize their maps using the point_template technique and it may screw over some future ambitious over-the-top map.

if all maps would've been optimized and well made there wouldnt be a need for this plugin.
i rather have entities removed than the server crashed.
This might be a good solution if you're unable to quickly remove any maps that have crash problems. Though if you are able to, this plugin can sometimes make maps near unplayable so it would be better to just have it crash rather than crippling the map for potentially weeks when instead it could be reverted to a previous version until fixed.
Most map edict crashes happen mid round, some novice map makers will accidentally cause start of round crashes but those should rarely ever make it past a beta version of a map if proper testing is done. Just by running sv_dump_edicts and ensuring that the edict count reported is less than around the mid 1600s you can be sure the map won't crash on round start since it is essentially impossible for reds to crash it then. And even if the map crashes mid round, the plugin wouldn't be able to prevent it regardless.
My two cents would be that other gamemodes are likely fine with this plugin, and in a somewhat contradictory sense jb which is most edict heavy suffers the most. I don't think this plugin would be a problem if maps could be quickly hotfixed and added to the server, or reverted until such changes could be made. But if a map is going to sit on the server for a long time without updates, the plugin is going to really cause the map to suffer. I'd vote in favor of more rigorous testing of jailbreak maps before they're added, as opposed to the plugin having to exist.

• Informative
which map is going to be infected next!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread