Jailbreak Map Feedback General (1 Viewer)

gusic

Share your opinions, ideas, and suggestions regarding jailbreak maps.
All relevant posts will be shared to the map's creator.

Posts should ideally mention at least one of these:
  • Layout
  • Visuals
  • Minigames
  • Optimization/Framerates
  • RED/BLU balance
  • Secrets/Unique aspects
  • Overall thoughts about anything in a jailbreak map

Guiding questions (pick one, none, or a ton):
  • Which maps are good/bad and why?
  • What do you like/dislike about a specific map?
  • What should be changed in any map?
  • What would fix the bad maps?
  • What maps are the most enjoyable as both RED and BLU?

There are no wrong answers.

hopjb.PNG

jb_bootcamp is a poorly designed map, I will now go into detail.

Layout

The map's layout is literally a giant rectangle with buildings splattered throughout, this is a clear sign that the map lacked proper thought into its layout, this also causes it to suffer from atrocious sightlines making sniper a very dominant class on this map. Having 1/3rd of the map taken up by a near empty body of water does not help the map either. It is the epimtmey of a map designed on my notebook while I was bored in math class.

Visuals

Even after its 2021 makeover the map visually still leaves a lot to desire, if you remove the few tank props scattered around the map, I am not sure that this map would come across as a military map or just some crappy island prison. Most of the map is made up of square buildings with the same copy/pasted roof which leads to the map looking like an early source engine community map at best.

Minigames

Bootcamp's minigames are mediocre at best and broken at worst, the climb includes retracting platforms too early into the course leading to many players getting stuck on them, its checkpoints are also very poor with almost half of them being before the retracting platforms. Many of the unique games fails to communicate their purpose and are flawed in their design, D-Day encourages reds to sit on the landing craft whilst their peers attempt to push the payload cart to the end of the course. Hot potato similarly promotes cowardice. For some reason I thought it would be a great idea to make most of the games take place out in the open on a map that is already out in the open enough as is, disco suffers the most from this as a guard will always have to be manning the buttons in order to use it making them an easy picking. It should also be mentioned that deathcrate doesn't work, ghost hunt teleports the guards to the same spot as the reds when stopped, the ball in soccer loves to spaz out, Russian Roulette is very finicky when it comes to where you stand, and according to an anonymous source crush game will sometimes kill you for standing on the correct square.

Optimization

This map consistently gives me lowered fps due to its open nature. This could easily be fixed if the map was designed to not be as open as it is.

Balance

This map favors snipers first and foremost, the open ended nature of the map makes it fairly easy to slip away and grab one of the many ammopacks around the map. As another downside of being so open, a rebelling sniper can stand almost anywhere on the map and have sightline that covers a good portion of it. Guards still have a chance on this map if they have a few competent snipers but without those playing guard is a pain on this map.

Secrets

The tank gets people stuck half the time and the missile is pretty lame and takes a lot of effort to get it to strike. Other than that the map doesn't have many fun secrets mostly just ammopacks laying about. The map doesn't really have a gimmick aside from its size which isn't a good gimmick.

Final Thoughts

Bootcamp is a poorly designed map, it suffers from being way too open and would require a complete reboot (no pun intended) to be worthwhile. I am not sure why people like it as much as they do and I have yet to see a valid reason besides "I like it" or "some minigames are good" which are statements I could make about basically every map to ever exist.

• Winner
  • Funny
Reactions: vinny and Kruphixx
Hopjbv12 has a secret where you can go in the box game vents as red and sit there the entire round and the blus can’t touch you. I love hopjb, it’s my favorite map in the game but incredibly stupid oversight

Fuck it i’m bored, about to get my wisdom teeth removed and most likely gonna be in immense pain, Lets talk about Opst

• Layout - Its layout is best described as just a rectangle with minigames splatter all around said rectangle which is definitely one of opst biggest flaws, it leads to the map feeling very condensed and potentially hard to navigate to find specific minigames while the center is used as a dining table which isn’t even used as an actual minigames 99% of the time

• Visuals - While the map visually is by no means ugly, I feel as if though it doesn’t really stand out either as anything magnificent

• Minigames - IMO the best part of the map, almost all the minigames are really fun to play while most are unique (I’ll talk more in depth about the unique minigames in secrets/unique) and even the non-unique minigames are still fun to play/don’t divert from what there known for (Sweeper/Crush Game/Disco), I will give two spotlights to the Obby and DR, While the Obby on Opst is definitely one of the harder obby’s out their, I also find it to be one of the prettier obbys and most rewarding/fun to complete and DR for its final boss and being star foxed themed

• Optimization/framerate - while I'm not a map designer (or smart or know what optimization is) I can say that the frame rate on this map is generally very bad especially in cells or in the center table, though from my experience generally when we get into a minigame the frame drops usually clears up

• RED/BLU balance - while this map is has some pretty long sightlines, I wouldn’t really call it a good rebeller map since its secrets/ammo spot are generally hard to get to (more in Secrets) though due to the map being decently condensed it's generally not to hard when you get to a minigame to just run head first at the warden, so generally I would say getting ammo is harder on this map, but just bumrushing the warden is easier

• Secrets/Unique - The maps unique qualities are mostly its unique minigames and almost all are really fun to play, ban or no ban is just your average fun unique minigame, Killing Wall is IMO the worst of the minigames and sorta seems like a way to kill reds quickly, Memory Mash is an underrated minigame and I really like the idea and execution of it, Furry Finder is funny furry game, and Gust Gulch is perfection, on a down note the secrets and rebel spots are very lacking on this map, there's three ways to rebel on this map, two of which are vents that lead to armory are inside of sweeper and the locker room and the one ammo spot is inside of DR around the middle of it is just a small ammo pack floating their for reds to pick up, due to the DR ammo spot theirs realistically only 2 rebel spots

• What I like and Dislike -
PROS - almost all the minigames are really fun and most are unique too and I don’t find it ugly to look at, there's fish
CONS - almost everything else

• How I’d fix the problems - The map itself IMO can’t be salvaged, its layout and design are both boring and frustrating to play on while having bad frame drops, I believe a rework to the maps layout and visuals are a necessity since it's what's really holding the map back

• Overall Thoughts - while i’ll admit that this is very much a negative outlook on Opst and its problems, I do want to state that I do Love this map and do find it fun to play on when we do play on it and don’t just RTV it after 5 minutes, admittingly its very much a guilty pleasure of mine and I think it only really works due to the fact thats its not played a lot so when it does get picked, it feels fresh and or new, although I love the map I do agree that it has problems and that its minigames are what really keep it from being the worst map in our rotation

I now leave to get my wisdom teeth pulled out

Users who are viewing this thread