HowTo Install and use PREC (1 Viewer)

Solid

So since there is a thread about how to record a demo but there isn't one on how to install and use PREC I thought I've make one. Note that this will mostly be a copy of the etf2l tutorial on how to use the plugin (will be linked at the end) + some small additions by me.

P-REC is a TF2 plugin created by Orange that records demos, takes screenshots and logs your killstreaks automatically. PREC is the only plugin signed by valve so that you can use it without the "-insecure" command(you can't join anything but a stv or a local server with -insecure) a normal user created plugin needs to run. This also guarantees that this plugin is Virus free.
This guide will explain how to install and configure P-REC. All you need is the P-REC files and Team Fortress 2 installed.

INSTALLATION
Download the latest version of P-REC (Version 2.05. Version 2.06 is broken at the moment!) here

Open your TF2 custom file directory located at: …/Steam/steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf/custom and extract the content of the archive here. Your custom folder should now look like the following image.

prec11.jpg
If you want you can edit P-REC.cfg to change plugin’s sounds, phrase and settings by opening it with wordpad. The inside of P-REC.cfg is pretty self explainatory so I wont add anything here. You can basically change what you will say in chat when the recording starts/end/when you set a p_rec mark; if there should be any sounds when you start/stop recording/set a prec_mark and what your files should be called. This is all configured pretty decently out of the box so if you don't want to mess with it you don't have to.

SETUP
Launch your Team Fortress 2. Check if P-REC loaded correctly by opening the console.

prec2-300x168.jpg
(Click on the image to enlarge)
If you don’t know how to enable the console you can also look in this thread(or just at the picture below :3)

prec3-300x170.jpg
Now you can configure your P-REC by typing in prec_ in console. You can easily browse all available P-REC commands by using the up and down arrow keys or you can get a full list of commands by typing "prec_info" into the console.

prec4-150x300.jpg

COMMANDS
The important commands you need to use are the following:

prec_mode 0
This turn off the addon.
prec_mode 1
This will only record custom named demos. (with the "prec_record" command)
prec_mode 2 (default)
This will record all matches played with tournament mode enabled.
prec_mode 3
This will record all demos.

prec_screens 1
This captures status screenshots whenever a tournament mode match completes. Note that it will not capture the score screenshot if the map is changed before tournament mode finishes.

prec_mark
This will set a prec mark which you can find in your killstreaks.txt file with the respective demo and exact tick. Useful when collecting frags. You can bind this to a certain key (bind [KEY] "prec_mark") and it can also take 1 more word as an additional input.

Example
[2014/09/30/ 15:41] Player bookmark "20140930_1541_cp_badlands_RED_BLU" at 133)
with just prec_mark. So my button with prec mark bound to it was pressed on the 30th September 2014 at 15:41. The demo name is "20140930_1541_cp_badlands_RED_BLU" and the demo was at tick 133 the moment I pressed the button.

The same thing with "bind [KEY] "prec_mark scout""
[2014/09/30/ 15:41] scout "20140930_1541_cp_badlands_RED_BLU" at 133)

If you want to, you can customize it for every single class. For example in your soldier.cfg you type "bind [KEY] "prec_mark soldier"", in your scout.cfg you do the same with "prec_mark scout" etc.

If you have any problems also make sure to check out this thread on ETF2L

source: http://etf2l.org/help/p-rec/

Last edited:
Reactions: Vecomti and Kevin
Thank you for this :).

Update: After the newest update, PREC 2.06 broke again. However, PREC 2.05 seems to work fine so download that instead. Also edited the OP

Users who are viewing this thread