Completed I made a VSH map. Could it be added? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had a tour on the map, it's nice but it has a few issues IMO:

1- Ammo packs and Health kits are very rare ( maybe add more than just 2 for each one )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
2- Displacements are not very well done, looks like you just started using Hammer? Is it true? :p
(Barrels floating)
vsh_coldfreight0000.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
(No displacement Sew?)
vsh_coldfreight0001.jpg

3- ( this is just very personal ) The playable area feels quite bland with 4 tall walls surrounding it, maybe add some background

By the way it's a yes fom me since I think it will be fun in gameplay.

Reactions: fattyeater
I appreciate your feedback, Falko, and I will respond to it as well.

Yes, I am new to hammer, and displacements were the hardest to work with. The displacement sew tool has a mind of its own. I will try fixing this. Do you think covering them up with blocks or props would work?

I will fix the floating props.

There are 2 medium ammo packs in the buildings above the spawn rooms. And there are 2 medium health packs inside the tall buildings. There is also a medium ammo pack on the very top of the bridge. Despite this I still felt like health and ammo are not in good enough places, though I started with this as I didnt want it to be a huge soldier jumping spam, which is also why I put the health packs in the buildings and under the bridge, making it a bit less safe so you cant rocket jump right away. Though I still see your point.

Lastly, I do not think I know what you mean by the surrounding walls, do you mean I should more stuff around the boundaries of the map (more than just trees), or do you think sould add stuff to the cliff walls, like platforms or some displacements, or extra texture work.

I will fix these some time later if I can.

Also, just 2 questions. Does the map run very smooth and do you think I should add more options to get to the higher areas of the map for classes like engineer, heavy, medic?

Thanks.

Did a bit of testing today and I must say I really like this map, well done for creating it. I agree with Falko's point about the health packs, there just simply isn't enough. I see you are aware of trying to prevent soldier/pyro spam jumping everywhere and I think it works with the med health packs inside buildings, maybe you could place some small kits on the map maybe outside? Although I kinda like when maps have less HP because it forces people to play smart with Engi. I think overall this map seems like it will be pretty balanced, it has my vote. :)

Displacement Sew works like this: You need to put the displacements edges face to face, you can be more precise with the Vertex Tool.
Example:
Cattura.JPG

If you put them face to face like this, and if they have different geometry, you can Sew them on the Face Edit Sheet > Displacements > Sew and the geometries will be reattached.
Map runs smooth and is good, there's no need to any higher place to settle.
-| THOSE ARE ALL MY VERY PERSONAL OPINIONS |-
There's no need to add platforms on the 4 walls surrounding the areas, you can try to:
-Edit their displacement geometry making them different in volume.
-Add some buildings on top of the walls background.
-Change brightness and ambient, or/and add falling snow ( falling snow is hard to make ? )
Note that mountains with perfectly perpendicular walls don't exist.

add falling snow
Personally Id not have any particles in the map that distort the view (like snow_area) since its just cancer playing on these maps due to these particles

EDIT: As per review the map looks very nice actually when looking at the terrain, It may feel cramped due to the outside walls, but the brightness and other stuff look very good.
While it may still have some issues (which Falko and Tiger already mentioned), it would be a nice addition to have it at our map rotation. But for now i actually want to wait it out and first have you fix the problems mentioned above, after that i would like to have it added.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, but the problem was that when I used the sew tool in as many ways as possible it would still not align them, there would always be that stupid little lip on the side.
I played around with the outdoor lighting a while but I agree that it could be more defined. Snow is hard to make properly as you said. I think the cliff walls have a bit of shape to them with indents and outdents but yeah they are a bit bland. I will try fix them when I have more time and need for creativity because compiling is just sooooo boring.

Thanks though!

I think this map deserves its own spot in the rotation. It's clear you put some effort into it and it seems like it is a blend of ratssaxxy and snowflakes. I haven't had an opportunity to play this map yet but looks great from the screenshots but I think it could've been better with a more creative layout instead of a square.

The map is now compiling.
Ok, I have come around to now edit it and make changes as suggested:

• Fixed the displacement issues by fiddling with the displacements and/or covering them up
  • Changed natural lighting (increased sun light and decreased ambient light, to I think make the sun highlight things more)
  • Added 2 small healthpacks on the storage container units on each side of the map
  • Added 2 small ammo packs in the big buildings (somewhat near the health packs)
  • Added some props (mainly for the first reason)
  • Change properties of non solid props so they dont appear as errors in the console
  • Added some small buildings above the cliff walls

Ok I fixed some more important displacement issues as well and made another compile. This one will be updated to the workshop.

IMPORTANT

New version has been uploaded to the workshop and you should wait a while because its waiting for approval from Steam (If you are testing the map)

I believe this version is more polished, playable and way less buggy. Previously some displacements were crap.

New version is vsh_coldfreight_2

How do I test it out? I subscribed to it on the workshop but it doesnt show up when I type in "map vsh_coldfreight" in the console. (Yes I restarted the game)

Workshop worst place to upload maps. No one will be able to find your map there. Gamebanana superior.

EB8C5B71-B303-4796-833E-1DBF24B4326A.jpeg
@EvoWarrior5 it should be something like this
look at the url of the workshop and look for all the numbers at the end, thats the map name that you put in console

That doesnt work either :v
To play workshop maps you have to go in the Steam directory, then steamapps>common>Team Fortress 2>tf>download>maps>"Map is here"
Then copy and paste the map in tf>maps
Now you can play the map

To play workshop maps you have to go in the Steam directory, then steamapps>common>Team Fortress 2>tf>download>maps>"Map is here"
Then copy and paste the map in tf>maps
Now you can play the map

Nah that wasn't needed, turned out that after subscribing all you need to do is type in console "map workshop/2078281567" and you're in

Either way, I'm sold. I do agree with the feedback that just a bit more health and ammo would be good.

After that, add it.

Yep, I think you are playing the slightly older version. The new version should be out on the workshop now. And the new versions name in the map files is vsh_coldfreight_2

Ok, so I made a new update to the steam workshop version. Now its called vsh_coldfreight_3

Here I added some more displacement smoothing tweaks, as well as adding some props in some buildings.

So basically changes up to date since the first version are:

• Displacement fixes
  • Added some more health and ammo
  • More props in some areas
  • Details around the map

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread